• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ's bowling without Bond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Would honestly struggle to bowl out 3rd grade Sydney club teams.

Guys like Tuffey, Oram, Styris and Mason may be good on garden-like wickets
in the Shaky Isles.
On the subcontinent, or frankly even on Australian wickets they'd be ineffectual.
Nzl shouldn't kid themselves about their bowling -- they made a lot of noises about drawing 0-0 with Sl.
Well sure the Kiwis batted well but their bowling never really looked like taking 20 wickets.

Nz's batsmen will fight hard but even Fleming and Ross must surely have big concerns about how the bowling will shape up against India's batsmen. Hell even the IBP X1 had no problems against the Kiwi attack.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
However, I do think you speak some truth.

The current NZ attack is unproven at test level..Oram, Styris & Butler have played 12 or 13 tests between them. Mason has yet to even play a test.
Tuffey is NZ's most experienced bowler in India with 14 tests behind his belt.
So maybe to draw in Sri Lanka and end a 9 test winning streak with an attack like that was a decent effort?

I didn't see the pitch against the Indian Invitational side but from what I can gather, it was basically dead & only the spinners would get assistance from it but only towards days 4 and 5.

Last edited:

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
You take a Murli out of Sri Lanka, a Shoaib out of Pakistan, and they are going to struggle. It is no different with New Zealand and Bond.

NZ are not going to have bond for the rest of there life. Butler has the ability to be another bond, what better time to stand up than now. Mason is a quality bowler, and has been reconised throughout the world before he has even played his debut.

Vettori on a turning pitch is as good as any spinner on his day, Oram is someone I rate very highly and I think his bounce is going to give some batsmen a bit of grief.

Then Tuffey I think is one of the most under-rated bowlers in the world. He does the hard work at one end by bowling good lines, and lengths, but has stuggled outside of NZ in recent years. People say what has changed, he is more mature, he knows what to expect.

We have people like Hefford, Sherlock, Cornelius, Canning, Mills etc knocking on the door, and I seriously think we are looking a hell of a lot better than we have in recent years.

Remember people that Bond is one person, and it takes 11 to win a match. It is going to be harder without him but I know NZ have a team good enough to win. And they will give it there best shot.

Darrin

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Nz's bowling without Bond

Tamara is absolutely write it does take eleven to win a match, not one bowler.I also say, this team is third in the world on the test championship. We did not get there by "not being able to bowl out a sydney club side".
I notice the comment was coming from someone living in sydney. I enjoy watching the aussies for the brand of cricket they play, it excites me, BUT auustralia won't always be the top of the cricketing world. They will go through their down's like we have and evry other side does. Then who will be laughing. Remember mcgrath, gilchrist, hayden, langer, steve waugh shane warne, lehman, are all in their thirites.

I guess my point is, respect other players and teams for the skills they exhibit and how it makes you feel, rather than admonishing them.

Cloete

International Captain
While Tamara is right. It really does beg the quesiton will they be able to take 20 wickets? I mena it's been a hard enough feat for teams with their whole squad. I really don't see New Zealand coming out on top of this series. I mean the best of teams haven't been able to do it with their full squad. I can really only see India coming out on top of this one. Bond is really gonna be missed. But having said that I think if Oram really bends his back he has the ability to trouble the Indians with hhis bounce. So he could be New Zealand's leading bowler in this series. Oh well we'll see what happens, thoughts?

Craig

World Traveller
jamesryfler said:

Guys like Tuffey, Oram, Styris and Mason may be good on garden-like wickets
in the Shaky Isles.
On the subcontinent, or frankly even on Australian wickets they'd be ineffectual.
Nzl shouldn't kid themselves about their bowling -- they made a lot of noises about drawing 0-0 with Sl.
Well sure the Kiwis batted well but their bowling never really looked like taking 20 wickets.

Nz's batsmen will fight hard but even Fleming and Ross must surely have big concerns about how the bowling will shape up against India's batsmen. Hell even the IBP X1 had no problems against the Kiwi attack.
If there ever was a case of arrogrant nonsense - there was it.

Eclpise has copped some critism from his comments about Australian players, but that is whole lot different.

Anyway, I have cooled down.

I will ask a question for people here, when was the last time New Zealand was at full strength?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: NZ's bowling without Bond

Craig said:
I will ask a question for people here, when was the last time New Zealand was at full strength?
When was the last time a lot of teams were at full strength?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
So maybe to draw in Sri Lanka and end a 9 test winning streak with an attack like that was a decent effort?
The draw is a good result, but that 9 match streak had had 7 games since then, of which they'd won 2 against Bangladesh, lost 2 and drawn 1 in England (who ended the streak) and lost 2-0 in SA, so I don't think that NZ ended the streak to be fair ;)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I guess my point is, respect other players and teams for the skills they exhibit and how it makes you feel, rather than admonishing them.
You mean like you just did? :D

When was the last time a lot of teams were at full strength?
That's a good point. Cricket teams put a heavy emphasis on skills training (for the obvious reasons) but conditioning is left behind a bit. he Aussies are better at this than they used to be but still, it could be improved.

NZ/s problem probably doesn't lie in the collective ability of their Test bowling attack but their lack of experience at the highest level more than anything. They'll be coming up against vastly experienced players like Rahul Dravid, Ganguly and Sachin in their own backyard. That's a bloody tough ask.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Australia are without their number 1 spinner.

SA haven't had a full strength team for a while, missing Boje, Pollock and Kallis for different reasons.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Boje has been dropped hasn't he? so that's really South Africa's own decision.

thierry henry

International Coach
You'd be foolish to try and pretend that New Zealand's injury worries aren't up there with the worst. I would say we've had the worst injury run of any of the teams over the last 5 years.

Guys like Cairns, Astle and Vettori have only been bit part players for a number of years now because of constant injuries. Shane Bond's career looks fairly likely to be a fizzer, he's already getting on in years, his body's a dud and he's only played a handful of matches.

Just about every fast bowler we've had in recent years has disappeared off the scene for one reason or another and our bowling attacks, as now, just tend to be whoever's left over. With any luck Shayne O'Connor or Geoff Allot could still have been in the mix today. Dion Nash retired young. The list goes on and on.

I think we need to get Butler in there so we at least have a little pace.

anzac

International Debutant
From memory I can't recall the last time NZ had the same bowling attack for 2 consecutive tours without it being affected by injury!

as I've said on plenty of previous threads the NZ injuries started from the ZIM - SA tour several years ago. Most of the players injured have either retired either as a result of those injuries (or have never been able to come back without incurring further injuries - Nash, O'Connor), Vettori is basically back but Cairns has yet to make a full tour / season.

It's interesting to see the lineup for the current tour match v India 'A' - no spinners!!!!!!

must be having a last look at the seamers head to head.........

:O

Andre

International Regular
jamesryfler said:
Ok, this statement makes me laugh. Considering that Ricky Ponting thinks Namibia would be a very good grade side, does this make Namibia 2 levels above New Zealand??!?!?

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
Basically hes just taking hits at NZ, not really at their bowling because we all know they are not THAT bad.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
thierry henry said:
You'd be foolish to try and pretend that New Zealand's injury worries aren't up there with the worst. I would say we've had the worst injury run of any of the teams over the last 5 years.
England in the Ashes?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I know that Boje had broken his leg, but I had the feeling he was already on the outer with the selectors anyway.

As for the injuries...yeah England had a bad run in the ashes, but NZ have had bad luck with injuries since 1999 and it has never really improved..we're without 2 or 3 key players every series & im in no way making that an excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.