• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any Aussies reading this board?

Di Venuto Fan

Cricket Spectator
Having just spent a summer watching Di Venuto play amazing cricket in England ,would i be right in assuming he is an automatic choice for Tasmania?i know they have Ponting and Cox but i take it Diva is automatic for opening each game?The guiy is amazing.

can someone explain the Aussie game to me?

what has happened to the Sheffield Shield?
do they wear Coloured clothing for every game or just like in England in one day games?and wear whites in championship games (4 days or 5?)

what sort of crowds do you lot get over there for games?

so you have the Pura Cup? The ING Cup? which of those is the 1 day game? is the Sheffield shield defunt? are there only those 2 comps?whats the difference?

have tasmania got any chance of winning anything this year? who has the strongest team?

who are the biggest team? i am having trouble getting a Taz shirt in the UK ,are they not one of the biggest teams out there?

thanks for reading
'
Glad we have Diva back for another 2 seasons in England. The guy is a legend:cool2:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Oooooh look Eddie, another Corky(whoops, sorry, he left didn't he...) *ahem* Derbyshire fan!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah Di Ventuto is an auto choice for tassie.

Pura Milk cup - 4 day torney, everyone plays the other states twice, home and away, points for winning and drawing etc. no bonus points

ING cup - one day torney same as above alll state play each other home and away, this tim ethere is bonus points, same as in the ODI series here with england - 1 pt for getting the runs in 40 overs and 1 for bowling the other team out for less than a % of your runs. also crowd get money for catching a 6, and players get money for hitting any one of a number of signs around the ground, happens about once every 1.5 years, i think Manou was the most recent, Hussey has also hit one before.

Tassie will more than likley come in the bottom half of the table in both forms, they have a couple of good players like ponting, cox, Dighton, Di Venuto and Watson but they dont stand a chance in most cases against the likes of Queensland, WA or NSW.

NSW are probably the strongest side, players like S Waugh, M Waugh, M Slater, S Katich, M Clarke, Haddin, B Lee, McGrath, Bracken, Nicholson and Macgill. we won both last year and ING for last 3 years :)

Di Venuto Fan

Cricket Spectator
good ridance to Cork-Diva is the man now.

is it true what someone told me that Aussies dont like Tasmania and see it not as part as Australia and they treat it with contempt the same way they dont like NZ or is that rubbish??

what sort of crowds you get over there?

thanks for the replies.:D

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the crowds arent very big, usuaslly a couple of thousand at best.

It is true most of the mainland pick on tassie, but its just a bit of a joke. Im sure they undertsand :P

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NSW are probably the strongest side, players like S Waugh, M Waugh, M Slater, S Katich, M Clarke, Haddin, B Lee, McGrath, Bracken, Nicholson and Macgill. we won both last year and ING for last 3 years
Errr, hang on. QLD had the strongest side by far in the Pura Cup last year. Their depth of talent at least matches NSW. In fact, QLD actually finished a game and a half above NSW in terms of points. NSW just hammered them in the final, and against QLD at home that's a monumental effort.

As for Di venuto fan, He may struggle to stay in the Tassie side this year because he had a very ordinary year last year (1 hundred and an average of 33). He's a great player so they may stick with him for one more season but if he struggles this season, he may just lose his place.

Cloete

International Captain
broncoman said:
the crowds arent very big, usuaslly a couple of thousand at best.

It is true most of the mainland pick on tassie, but its just a bit of a joke. Im sure they undertsand :P
just like Canberrians 'ey? lol nah j/k we like ACT, specially the Brumbies :). Seriously for an ING Cup game u ca sometimes see 20,000. but normally it's around 7-15,000. Pura Cup games are 2000-5000. but the ING Cup final is normally sold out an dthe Pura Cup Final normally gets around 60-80,000 over the 5 days.

Andre

International Regular
Top_Cat said:
As for Di venuto fan, He may struggle to stay in the Tassie side this year because he had a very ordinary year last year (1 hundred and an average of 33). He's a great player so they may stick with him for one more season but if he struggles this season, he may just lose his place.
From memory, Diva lost his place in the side for the second half of last summer to Scott Mason. If it wasn't then, he certainly has been dropped before.

Correct me if I am wrong, which is likely with my memory :P

Di Venuto Fan

Cricket Spectator
hey guys

have spent a season watching the great man bat and he looks in absolute brilliant nick. He carried us all season. I would be surpirsed if he were dropped but then again English CC is so weak that the overseas stars stick out like a mile (unlike you are a Mddx fan) but Diva carry an absolute shocking side all season long and the great news is ,he is now our Captain and we have him for 2 years.

how far is Melbourne to Tasmania?
i was looking at flights and it is way expensive to fly to Taz so i was figuring nearest place would be Melbourne and then could i get a boat to Taz or would it have to be a flight from Melb to Taz? how far is it?

so does the Sheffield Shield still exist or they just changed the name?

Rik-what English team you follow?

cheers for the messages lads .Nice 1

Andre

International Regular
No questioning Diva is a very good bat - I remember his one good innings at ODI level, and boy did he play well....

He's more natrually gifted than most. Often his temprament has let him down, looking for one too many big shots, but he seems to have matured now.

Melbourne to Tasmania isn't too far - I'm pretty sure there is some sort of ferry ride which can get you there. If not, the plane trip wouldn't be much longer than 45 mins. There are some good deals out there. Alternatively, you could plan your trip for when Tas play Victoria in Melbourne :)

The Sheffield Sheild in now known as the Pura Cup - same format as before.

Welcome to the forums, mate :)

Craig

World Traveller
Di Venuto Fan said:

how far is Melbourne to Tasmania?
i was looking at flights and it is way expensive to fly to Taz so i was figuring nearest place would be Melbourne and then could i get a boat to Taz or would it have to be a flight from Melb to Taz? how far is it?
You got sail, but that wouldnt be too safe sailing across the Bass Strait.

Always fly Virgin when in Australia as it is cheaper then Qantas.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:
You got sail, but that wouldnt be too safe sailing across the Bass Strait.

Always fly Virgin when in Australia as it is cheaper then Qantas.
But you dont get any 'hidden' extras.:D (Food!?!)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Di Venuto Fan said:
Rik-what English team you follow?
I support Middlesex cause I used to live down there and now I live in Shropshire which is a minor county. I also follow Durham.

I'm CW's resident nut on the Zimbabwe National side too :)

Mr. P

Cloete said:
just like Canberrians 'ey? lol nah j/k we like ACT, specially the Brumbies :). Seriously for an ING Cup game u ca sometimes see 20,000. but normally it's around 7-15,000. Pura Cup games are 2000-5000. but the ING Cup final is normally sold out an dthe Pura Cup Final normally gets around 60-80,000 over the 5 days.
:lol: LOL! ING cup final sold out!? You've got to be kidding. I watched the final on TV last year and barely one stand was full.

Di Venuto Fan

Cricket Spectator
cheers lads

nice 1 lads for answering

is it not like over her in Uk then? do you have to have been born in the State you play in to play for them? you cant change teams like in UK?so like Diva couldnt go to play for WA?

re:pura and ING games. is it just a league then? dont you have a final game.is it just league position decides the winners.how many overs a side is the one day games 45 or 50 overs?

managed to get hold of a Tigers shirt. But want Diva on the back.Looked on Taz site and has number 5 on his shirt but that was last year.any idea how i find out what number he wears for this season,ttied emailing taz cc but no reply. i guess they thought it was a crank email.

cheers lads for answering my dumb questions

;) ;)

Mr. P

You don't have to be born in any particular state. If Di Venuto wanted, he could play for WA, sure.

Concerning the ING/Pura Cup. The Pura Cup does have a final, yes. It always seems to be contested between Queensland and someone else.:!( ING cup games go for 50 overs.:)

Di Venuto Fan

Cricket Spectator
cheers for answering/
i was looking at the map and i thought it seemed unfair that such a small place like Tas should only be allowed to get homegrown players. so in theory Gilchrist and co could join the Tigers??. Are tasmania the weakest club out of the 6? i have looked at the same of the teams and their line ups are frightening compared to Tas.

what is the score regards Overseas players how many allowed? i see Goodwin is playing.
any English players ever played as an overseas player recently.?i somehow doubt it.

cheers

Di Venuto Fan

Cricket Spectator
so basically it is all down to $$$$$$ then?

i assume that Tasmania are not the richest club and therefore cannot attract the top players ,while the NSW and WA etc have $$$$$ so they get the top players or am i being cynical?

Mr. P

Tasmania is not as weak as you think. In one form last year they put up a fight. (Can't think which one?!) But normally the Victorians are very weak. South Australia were also weak in one form.

With overseas players, there is one absolutely massive name comin this year in the form of Andy Flower. He will be playing for SA.