• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A fan’s letter to Mohammad Amir

angad

U19 12th Man

When the tribunal was deciding your fate in Doha, as a nation we were waiting with bated breath for the final decision. Some of us were so dismayed by your antics that we suggested you, along with your two cronies should be imprisoned, others insisted upon a life ban. Those on the other end of the spectrum vouched for your innocence.

You persistently spoke of your complete innocence and come on, Amir, a lot of us have a hard time believing your claims. Now I am not blessed with the knowledge of the unseen and I can in no way claim that you lie – only God and you know the complete truth. But the tribunal said you are guilty and it makes more sense to admit to a crime which it seems you did commit.

I mean, what’s so bad about saying you were lured by money and that you are sorry? Do you know that great men in the past have admitted to their mistakes and have gained so much respect in the world? Do you know you could suddenly win the sympathy of our countrymen who, you may not realize this, have the ability to forgive?

You captured hearts with your bowling, but then you broke them too. Now is the time to begin mending them and as an idol for young fans, you need to give us some answers. I realize you are only 18 years of age, and that’s why I believe this decision could be a blessing in disguise for you.

Ever thought about studying? Getting enrolled in a good school somewhere, getting a degree, and serving your ban like a true gentleman? Cricketers around the world have made strong comebacks after getting educated – Pakistan Test captain Misbah-ul-Haq is a prime example. Your swing and seam will not desert you Amir, for you are prodigiously talented. You’ll be a qualified man with another profession to fall back on.

And then there’s the physique. You are thin and lanky and in the five years away from cricket, you could use the time to work on your body. Playing international cricket is a demanding profession and working on your fitness might help to minimize the chance of some career-threatening injury. Plus, the lads easier on the eye (and higher on the hotness quotient) are always more popular. I read somewhere that it looked as though you had been crying after the decision was announced, and you know what, it’s okay to cry. It’s okay to say you’re sorry, it’s okay to make mistakes – we all do. Just admit to them like a man.

And Amir, a word of advice before I sign off – please choose your friends wisely. For someone who carries the hope of a nation mired in strife and controversy, you need to make sure the guys you hang out with are not cheats, drug addicts and crooks. And please, PLEASE, stop wearing marijuana T-Shirts, okay? :laugh:

Yours sincerely,

Mehmudah Rehman

The writer is a wannabe cricketer, and the minor fact that she has never picked up a wicket or hit a six fails to deter her. She blogs at Notes to Self.

The views expressed by this blogger and in the following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

The Dawn Blog » Blog Archive » A fan

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
He could still be. It is easy to forget he's only eighteen; he'll only be twenty-two or twenty-three when he returns (could be earlier if they choose to reduce his sentence). If he keeps himself fit and trains his arse off, he could very well play for another twelve years after that age. Of course it won't be easy, but it's too early to talk about his career in the past tense, I think.

salman85

International Debutant
But how far can training take you when you don't play competitive cricket for a while?I don't know the exact conditions in the ban,but i'd be surprised if his lawyer doesn't press for something along the lines of allowing him to play domestic matches for the final 6 months or 1 year of his ban or something.Also,there's the added factor of the long line of fast bowlers we seem to produce so effortlessley.There would be no Shoaib by the time Amir's ban is over,Razzaq would be in the twlilight of his career,Sohail Tanvir would be hopefully playing for Uranus,Wahab Riaz and Gul might be at their peak,but other than them,you never knew if a new,super talented bowler is discovered.Junaid Khan is untested,but with Pakistan and fast bowlers,you never know.

I'm pretty sure he will play for Pakistan again,but whether he remains as good as he is now remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
But how far can training take you when you don't play competitive cricket for a while?I don't know the exact conditions in the ban,but i'd be surprised if his lawyer doesn't press for something along the lines of allowing him to play domestic matches for the final 6 months or 1 year of his ban or something.Also,there's the added factor of the long line of fast bowlers we seem to produce so effortlessley.There would be no Shoaib by the time Amir's ban is over,Razzaq would be in the twlilight of his career,Sohail Tanvir would be hopefully playing for Uranus,Wahab Riaz and Gul might be at their peak,but other than them,you never knew if a new,super talented bowler is discovered.Junaid Khan is untested,but with Pakistan and fast bowlers,you never know.

I'm pretty sure he will play for Pakistan again,but whether he remains as good as he is now remains to be seen.
Another quality post.

He will definitely decline. And he will not progress either - by that I mean that if he had've played against International batsman for 5 years he would have become quite savvy. So he will be less than what he is today. And much less than what he could have been.

But he could still be decent.

Xuhaib

International Coach
one thing that really impressed me about Aamer was his learning curve he would look twice the bowler as he looked in his previous series by the time the lords test came he looked good enough to be among the top 5 fast bowlers in the world. I agree with Salman not playing any competitive cricket will surely hinder him especially since these were his developmental years but reckon he is still talented enough to make a comeback and end up with an average around 30-32 .