• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Fast Bowling Pair

salman85

International Debutant
In with the usual suspects.

Which two are the daddies of all other daddies?

Marshall/Holding,Wasim/Waqar,Ambrose/Walsh,Lillee/Thompson? Any others?

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
I feel for them,being born AFTER their time.Kind of like Stuart Broad's wee wee.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gregory/ McDonald, Larwood/ Voce, Lindwall/ Miller, Trueman/ Statham, Tyson/ Statham, Hall/ Griffith, Pollock/ Proctor.

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If they keep playing as they are now, it wont be long before Steyn and Morkel belong on this list.

One of the best ever may have been a duo that were together at county level. Not many people enjoyed batting against Nottinghamshire when Richard Hadlee and Clive Rice were in tandem.

Also, Garth Le Roux and Imran Khan at Sussex must have been a handful.

Xuhaib

International Coach
can't believe Pakistan won a test match in India with Sami/Razzaq opening but then India won a series in Pakistan with Balaji/Pathan new ball attack.

Its a strange world.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
can't believe Pakistan won a test match in India with Sami/Razzaq opening but then India won a series in Pakistan with Balaji/Pathan new ball attack.

Its a strange world.
Yeah Pakistan preparing roads in that 2004 series really made India's batting superiority count. And Kumble was there to do the usual 2nd innings cleanup job.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I have no idea. That's a really tough question.

Probably the best fast bowling pair I saw, at their peak, were Ambrose and Walsh in 1999. The West Indies basically drew that series because their three best players played out of their skin, and walked off as skeletal champions.

Lillee and Thompson would never be my pick. They had an awesome peak, but it lasted two seasons really. I've seen highlights of the 74/75 Ashes series and the 75/76 West Indian series and they look amazing. But Australia soon became a side that relied heavily, and I mean heavily, on Dennis Lillee.

Waqar and Wasim? Best ODI opening pair, but best Test pair? They'd be up there of course. They were probably my favourite pair to watch. I used to try and mimick Waqar's actions. Like always, the ball never swung with me.

I wish I'd seen more of Holding and Marshall. It wouldn't surprise me if they were the best. The funny thing about them is they might be underrated because they blended in with Garner and Roberts etc.

McGrath and Gillespie are underrated. They're not close to being my pick, but I always felt Gillespie was an underrated foil to McGrath. My memory has been failing me recently, but I do distinctly remember a bowling spell with McGrath and Gillespie from 2004 against India. I forget which Test it was. But Tendulkar and Dravid were batting, and as good as any two batsmen in the world back then. McGrath and Gillespie kept them down to about 20 runs off 100 balls before someone went out. The pitch wasn't offering either of them much, but they just kept it tight and kept the pressure on.

I kind of felt bad for Gillespie and how he fell apart in 2005. Gillespie was underrated, and far better than a lot of the overrated Aussie fast bowlers from the 90s (Reiffel etc).