• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Fast Bowling Pair

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Has to be Marshall/Holding.

Others worth a mention are Wasim/Waqar, Lindwall/Miller, Procter/Pollock, Donald/Pollock, Trueman/Statham, Garner/Roberts, Ambrose/Walsh, Larwood/Voce and Lillee/Thomson.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain

Others worth a mention are Wasim/Waqar, Lindwall/Miller, Procter/Pollock, Donald/Pollock, Trueman/Statham, Garner/Roberts, Ambrose/Walsh, Larwood/Voce and Lillee/Thomson.
McGrath/Gillespie were pretty good for quite a while. McGrath-Lee for a bit (statistically like Lillee-Thompson).

smash84

The Tiger King

I remember an article from cricinfo on fast bowling pairs and statistically Wasim and Waqar were slightly better than the others. Here is the article

Top fast-bowling pairs in Tests
Pair Team Matches Wickets Average 5WI 10WM
Lillee/Thomson Australia 26 217 27.20 9 0
Roberts/Holding West Indies30 233 25.65 13 3
Ambrose/Walsh West Indies95 762 22.67 36 5
Donald/Pollock South Africa47 397 21.84 22 1
Akram/Younis Pakistan 61 559 22.12 37 7
McGrath/Gillespie Aust58 484 23.01 23 1

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/490410.html

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
This is what Geoffrey Boycott had to say

MM: Faisal Cheema writes in from USA and he says that in the last 20 years or so we have seen some excellent fast bowling partnerships like Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, Shaun Pollock and Allan Donald, and Glenn McGrath and Jason Gillespie. Who in your opinion has been the best fast bowling partnership?

GB: Fast bowlers are a thrilling sight. I think Pollock and Donald were very good, but as much as I love Pollock, he is not going to hurt you bowling a fast-medium pace. That is the thing about fast bowling. McGrath was a great bowler; Gillespie was a good bowler.

I will have to go with Ambrose and Walsh because both of them were fantastic bowlers. Also the two Ws - I liked Akram and Younis. They were fast, they could hurt you, they were a thrilling sight, and they just got wickets. Waqar at his peak was actually getting wickets quicker than anybody in the modern era. It was so thrilling to watch him with his little legs pumping and running in as he got the big swerve with the old ball. Wasim could bowl over the wicket or around the wicket. His bowling was fantastic. I liked the two Ws, to be honest.

'Today's administrators are greedy' | Bowl at Boycs | Cricinfo Talk | ESPN Cricinfo

Howe_zat

Audio File
Sounds like he changed his mind halfway through. :happy:

I think at their peak there's no pair you'd rather watch than Wasim and Waqar. He definately has a point there.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sounds like he changed his mind halfway through. :happy:

I think at their peak there's no pair you'd rather watch than Wasim and Waqar. He definately has a point there.
@ their peak (might have only been 18 months), surely Lillee/Thompson were more menacing?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
McGrath/Gillespie were pretty good for quite a while. McGrath-Lee for a bit (statistically like Lillee-Thompson).
I've never rated Lee much as a test bowler. McGrath/Gillespie were pretty good for quite a while, yes. Like Lillee-Thomson, yes almost.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Inzi on his own bowling counts as a pair?

Anyway I like the Curtley/Holding more than anything. Too consistent to miss.