• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Tribute to a Great Englishman

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for the article. Not sure if anyone else who has scored runs (average, aggregate) like Barrington has been dropped as many times as him.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
A Tribute to a Great Englishman

In ten days time it will be exactly 30 years since Kenny Barrington passed away. In this feature Martin pays tribute to a man he believes history has short-changed

View attachment 19472
Would part of the reason he seems under appreciated be because his domestic First Class is relatively ordinary?

Guys like Hobbs, Hammond, Sutcliffe, Hutton, Boycott, Compton etc all scored mountains of runs at FC level (I believe all 6 are members of the one hundred 100s club), whereas although Barrington has an outstanding Test record, because he wasn't hitting mountains of runs domestically perhaps was never really thought of as an outstanding batsman by his contemporaries?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of course its right that he only averaged 45 overall, but then the 50's weren't the best era for heavy scoring - of his peers that I mentioned only Peter May bettered 45 - Cowdrey, Dexter and Graveney all fell short

From what I have read all of his contemporaries fully appreciated how good he was - Trevor Bailey once suggested, I think in all seriousness, that it was the fact that he was neither good looking, tall or athletic that counted against him!

Personally I think he tends to be overlooked simply because the cricket played in his era was so dull - that match in 1964 that I mention is obviously an extreme case, but that is the way cricket was played then - the 1963 series against the WIndies was the one exception - the Ashes series of the 50's are still talked about so Hutton, Compton, Lindwall, Miller etc still get the recognition they deserve as do the Chappells, Lillee, Greig and the like from the 70's when the cricket got better again - but the likes Barrington, McKenzie and Davidson tend not to because no one talks about the games they played in - if it weren't for what he's done since I suspect Richie would be in the same boat