• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why can't...

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Associate nations be given the chance to play the Test nations more regularly in bilateral ODI series, or triangular tournaments?

salman85

International Debutant
Because wins like these won't happen everytime.Once in a blue moon perhaps.For most part,they'll be everyone's whipping boys.Despite the performances put in by Netherlands and Ireland this time,they're still a tier below Bangladesh,who are the weakest Test Nation out there.Plus,the boards arranging the bilateral series might not want associate nations involved since the matches would not generate a lot of revenue.Money talks.

Also,the cricket calender is already jampacked.Arranging bilateral tournament/series with Test Playing Nations would almost certainly mean that the test nation would send in a second string team,or atleast play witha second string team when they face an associate.This can be seen by how seriously test nations take series against Bangladesh.Matches against associates would be taken even more non-seriously.They'll pull off a shocker on a good day,but that's it.Not worth it IMO.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Because what happened today must never be allowed to happen again.

Wouldn't have happened if Luke Wright was playing :@

Blaze 18

Banned
The test nations could send their second or third string teams, though. That would make the games more competitive, plus some of the lesser known players from the established sides would get some international exposure. Win-win.

gvenkat

State Captain
Associate nations be given the chance to play the Test nations more regularly in bilateral ODI series, or triangular tournaments?
Apart from Ireland and the Dutch. Kenya and Canada has been Dismal. I was an advocate of the 10 team format. But with this, I think the top two associates should play games more regualrly with the Test nations.. That is the only way they will improve.

flibbertyjibber

Heard Boycs on radio today saying that a better way for qualification would be to take the bottom 2 top tier sides and place them in a qualifier with the minnows and then the 4 or so places are taken by the best sides from there for the World Cup. Makes a bit of sense i guess as the minnows get to play a bigger team and also it cuts out the weaker sides like Kenya from getting smashed all the time.

Blaze 18

Banned
How would you guys rank the minnows ? I'd have Ireland, Zimbabwe and Netherlands as the best. None of the others are worth mentioning.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
You are kidding yeah, I just woke up, havent even checked the score from overnight, ENGLAND LOST???? No way.....cricinfo here i come, I think I taped the match, better go watch....

Teja.

Global Moderator
Hit the thread button from outside expecting this to be a Why can't we all get along? thread, was making myself popcorn too. Disappointed tstl. :p

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Hit the thread button from outside expecting this to be a Why can't we all get along? thread, was making myself popcorn too. Disappointed tstl. :p
Just wait till someone mentions England to Blaze's question in post #8, and expect the fireworks to go off. :p

Howe_zat

Audio File
I am seriously coming round to the idea of Ireland being granted Full Member status. Perhaps not test status yet, but full member, and then rather like Zimbabwe's current full-member-but-not-test-playing position, can be eased into playing tests, starting with home matches or small series against Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and mid-table opposition.

Previously, the key hurdle for me was that Ireland does not have its own first class domestic structure. But I'm starting to question whether or not this matters all that much. After all, they do not have a List A structure either - their players all play county cricket. And given that the County Championship is some of the highest standard first-class cricket in the world, players with county contracts are coming from the same base as many test cricketers. Surely, with respect, it's a higher standard than you could expect to see in Bangladeshi domestic cricket?

So while I would accept a few arguments against this - perhaps you feel there is not enough enthusiasm for the sport within Ireland, or perhaps you feel Bangladesh aren't an apprpriate yardstick as they were introduced too early - I certainly feel it's something worth talking about.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am seriously coming round to the idea of Ireland being granted Full Member status. Perhaps not test status yet, but full member, and then rather like Zimbabwe's current full-member-but-not-test-playing position, can be eased into playing tests, starting with home matches or small series against Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and mid-table opposition.

Previously, the key hurdle for me was that Ireland does not have its own first class domestic structure. But I'm starting to question whether or not this matters all that much. After all, they do not have a List A structure either - their players all play county cricket. And given that the County Championship is some of the highest standard first-class cricket in the world, players with county contracts are coming from the same base as many test cricketers. Surely, with respect, it's a higher standard than you could expect to see in Bangladeshi domestic cricket?

So while I would accept a few arguments against this - perhaps you feel there is not enough enthusiasm for the sport within Ireland, or perhaps you feel Bangladesh aren't an apprpriate yardstick as they were introduced too early - I certainly feel it's something worth talking about.
AWTA fully.. Well said.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

AWTA.

Having Full Member Status would also protect Ireland from losing players to England - although having said that, it might be a double edged sword, as players may refuse selection for Ireland in the hope of playing for England.

flibbertyjibber

One scenario with a few counties saying they might go under if finances don't improve could be Ireland to replace them in the county championship, it would be one way for them to improve and i am sure they would already be a better team unit than Slurrey.