Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't...

vcs

Why can't...

Associate nations be given the chance to play the Test nations more regularly in bilateral ODI series, or triangular tournaments?

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Because wins like these won't happen everytime.Once in a blue moon perhaps.For most part,they'll be everyone's whipping boys.Despite the performances put in by Netherlands and Ireland this time,they're still a tier below Bangladesh,who are the weakest Test Nation out there.Plus,the boards arranging the bilateral series might not want associate nations involved since the matches would not generate a lot of revenue.Money talks.

Also,the cricket calender is already jampacked.Arranging bilateral tournament/series with Test Playing Nations would almost certainly mean that the test nation would send in a second string team,or atleast play witha second string team when they face an associate.This can be seen by how seriously test nations take series against Bangladesh.Matches against associates would be taken even more non-seriously.They'll pull off a shocker on a good day,but that's it.Not worth it IMO.
    Last edited by salman85; 02-03-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Because what happened today must never be allowed to happen again.

Wouldn't have happened if Luke Wright was playing
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Because what happened today must never be allowed to happen again.

Wouldn't have happened if Luke Wright was playing
    Funnily enough, thierry henry(cw member) said the exact same thing when England won the t20 wc.

Banned
    The test nations could send their second or third string teams, though. That would make the games more competitive, plus some of the lesser known players from the established sides would get some international exposure. Win-win.

Cricket Web Staff Member gvenkat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Associate nations be given the chance to play the Test nations more regularly in bilateral ODI series, or triangular tournaments?
    Apart from Ireland and the Dutch. Kenya and Canada has been Dismal. I was an advocate of the 10 team format. But with this, I think the top two associates should play games more regualrly with the Test nations.. That is the only way they will improve.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Heard Boycs on radio today saying that a better way for qualification would be to take the bottom 2 top tier sides and place them in a qualifier with the minnows and then the 4 or so places are taken by the best sides from there for the World Cup. Makes a bit of sense i guess as the minnows get to play a bigger team and also it cuts out the weaker sides like Kenya from getting smashed all the time.

Banned
    How would you guys rank the minnows ? I'd have Ireland, Zimbabwe and Netherlands as the best. None of the others are worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    How would you guys rank the minnows ? I'd have Ireland, Zimbabwe and Netherlands as the best. None of the others are worth mentioning.
    Would add Afghanistan to the list myself.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    You are kidding yeah, I just woke up, havent even checked the score from overnight, ENGLAND LOST???? No way.....cricinfo here i come, I think I taped the match, better go watch....
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Would add Afghanistan to the list myself.
    Good pick. I forgot Afghanistan.

Hit the thread button from outside expecting this to be a Why can't we all get along? thread, was making myself popcorn too. Disappointed tstl.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Hit the thread button from outside expecting this to be a Why can't we all get along? thread, was making myself popcorn too. Disappointed tstl.
    Just wait till someone mentions England to Blaze's question in post #8, and expect the fireworks to go off.

I am seriously coming round to the idea of Ireland being granted Full Member status. Perhaps not test status yet, but full member, and then rather like Zimbabwe's current full-member-but-not-test-playing position, can be eased into playing tests, starting with home matches or small series against Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and mid-table opposition.

Previously, the key hurdle for me was that Ireland does not have its own first class domestic structure. But I'm starting to question whether or not this matters all that much. After all, they do not have a List A structure either - their players all play county cricket. And given that the County Championship is some of the highest standard first-class cricket in the world, players with county contracts are coming from the same base as many test cricketers. Surely, with respect, it's a higher standard than you could expect to see in Bangladeshi domestic cricket?

So while I would accept a few arguments against this - perhaps you feel there is not enough enthusiasm for the sport within Ireland, or perhaps you feel Bangladesh aren't an apprpriate yardstick as they were introduced too early - I certainly feel it's something worth talking about.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Why can't you juz study for your exams?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information