• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5 least influential Cricketers of all time

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
With 50 Tests to his name (debuted after 1960) or 30 Tests pre 1960.

Basically just looking for cricketers who haven't done anything remarkable good or bad in their career.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
am assuming we are looking for cricketers who made no impact, not necessarily the worst five cricketers to have played 50+ tests.

kim hughes - good cricketer, but forgotten totally
mohammad sami - **** cricketer, dont know why he is playing international matches when he should be carrying drinks for the school cricket team in his neighborhood
mark ramprakash - 27 avg in 54 tests and they talk about giving him one more opportunity, sorry
sherwin campbell - dont know if he played 50+ tests, feel too guilty to waste my sunday morning checking his stats. if he did play that many games then he is right up there
navjot sidhu - another solid cricketer, like kim hughes; had a long test career but has left no imprint behind

feel bad to bunch and sidhu with three total losers - especially when i think of hughes' classic 100 against windies. a replacement for him could be ravi shastri or carl hooper.

Phantom

Banned
Interesting thread, I like it.

Anyone from bangladesh, most of the England in the 90's, haha.

Adam Parore ? Mark Butcher ? Did Crawley play 50 tests ? Kaneria, Dharmasena ? Caddick, Ridley Jacobs, McMillan from NZ.

I'll go away and think about it some more

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I'm not looking for just the worst cricketers, because most of the time they were known to be completely rubbish and they did have a remarkable career, just a bad one!

Personally for me that would rule out Ramprakash and Sami for me, but it's easy to say this when I haven't even made up a list yet.

Sherwin Campbell did play over 50 Tests, he got up to 52, same as Bradman :) Good pick Bagapath.

Phantom

Banned
am assuming we are looking for cricketers who made no impact, not necessarily the worst five cricketers to have played 50+ tests.

kim hughes - good cricketer, but forgotten totally
mohammad sami - **** cricketer, dont know why he is playing international matches when he should be carrying drinks for the school cricket team in his neighborhood
mark ramprakash - 27 avg in 54 tests and they talk about giving him one more opportunity, sorry
sherwin campbell - dont know if he played 50+ tests, feel too guilty to waste my sunday morning checking his stats. if he did play that many games then he is right up there
navjot sidhu - another solid cricketer, like kim hughes; had a long test career but has left no imprint behind

feel bad to bunch and sidhu with three total losers - especially when i think of hughes' classic 100 against windies. a replacement for him could be ravi shastri or carl hooper.
I like Ramprakash and Campbell, for this thread I mean

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dilip Vengsarkar, made a living out of bullying weak teams in India. Agree with Caddick as well, quite a few English cricketers from the '90s should make the grade.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmm, Kim Hughes is an interesting pick. A possible argument to be made that the whole saga regarding his captaincy and then the rebel tours had quite an impact on Aus cricket.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
At this stage these are my 5.

1 Mark Burgess
Mark Burgess | New Zealand Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

2 Chandu Borde Chandu Borde | India Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

3 Sherwin Campbell Sherwin Campbell | West Indies Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

4 Graeme Wood
Graeme Wood | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

5 Doug Wright
Doug Wright | England Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

After a bit more searching, I'm sure I'll find someone who deserves a place in front of Wood and Borde, who actually sounds like his career was more meaningful then I have given credit to him.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Wouldn't count Borde, he was quite popular and influential during his career.

Nor Doug Wright, quite popular domestically.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Wouldn't count Borde, he was quite popular and influential during his career.
Yeah true, I had just edited that in. He's just not a cricketer that I've been too aware of, but yeah like you say he shouldn't be there. Doug Wright actually had an amazing first class career, 7 hat tricks, but I don't think his Test career was that amazing.

I nearly included Mark Butcher, but he was responsible for one of the best 4th innings chases in Test history in my opinion.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Five names that came to mind.

Grant Flower
Alistair Campbell
Phil Edmonds
Ashley Giles
Dave Richardson (only played 44 Tests but deserves mention)

morgieb

Flower probably did have some influence tbf.

Other 4 are probably good calls though.

archie mac

International Coach

kim hughes - good cricketer, but forgotten totallymohammad sami - **** cricketer, dont know why he is playing international matches when he should be carrying drinks for the school cricket team in his neighborhood

I usually enjoy your posts, but if you are going to start criticising my boyhood hero we are going to have a falling out:@

Phantom

Banned
Yeah true, I had just edited that in. He's just not a cricketer that I've been too aware of, but yeah like you say he shouldn't be there. Doug Wright actually had an amazing first class career, 7 hat tricks, but I don't think his Test career was that amazing.

I nearly included Mark Butcher, but he was responsible for one of the best 4th innings chases in Test history in my opinion.
And what a wonderful chase that was, overshadowed his wholey average career thankfully for him

vcs

Ijaz Ahmed would also qualify for this thread.. averages 37 in 60 Tests. Surprisingly decent/good against England/Australia though.

salman85

International Debutant
Ijaz Ahmed would also qualify for this thread.. averages 37 in 60 Tests. Surprisingly decent/good against England/Australia though.
Ijaz invented the term 'butt before wicket'

not calling him influential is criminal :ph34r: