Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 least influential Cricketers of all time

5 least influential Cricketers of all time

With 50 Tests to his name (debuted after 1960) or 30 Tests pre 1960.

Basically just looking for cricketers who haven't done anything remarkable good or bad in their career.
    Last edited by NUFAN; 26-02-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: changed it from 1970 to 1960 after looking at statz

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    am assuming we are looking for cricketers who made no impact, not necessarily the worst five cricketers to have played 50+ tests.

kim hughes - good cricketer, but forgotten totally
    mohammad sami - **** cricketer, dont know why he is playing international matches when he should be carrying drinks for the school cricket team in his neighborhood
    mark ramprakash - 27 avg in 54 tests and they talk about giving him one more opportunity, sorry
    sherwin campbell - dont know if he played 50+ tests, feel too guilty to waste my sunday morning checking his stats. if he did play that many games then he is right up there
    navjot sidhu - another solid cricketer, like kim hughes; had a long test career but has left no imprint behind

feel bad to bunch and sidhu with three total losers - especially when i think of hughes' classic 100 against windies. a replacement for him could be ravi shastri or carl hooper.

Banned
    Interesting thread, I like it.

Anyone from bangladesh, most of the England in the 90's, haha.

Adam Parore ? Mark Butcher ? Did Crawley play 50 tests ? Kaneria, Dharmasena ? Caddick, Ridley Jacobs, McMillan from NZ.

I'll go away and think about it some more

Yeah I'm not looking for just the worst cricketers, because most of the time they were known to be completely rubbish and they did have a remarkable career, just a bad one!

Personally for me that would rule out Ramprakash and Sami for me, but it's easy to say this when I haven't even made up a list yet.

Sherwin Campbell did play over 50 Tests, he got up to 52, same as Bradman Good pick Bagapath.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    am assuming we are looking for cricketers who made no impact, not necessarily the worst five cricketers to have played 50+ tests.

kim hughes - good cricketer, but forgotten totally
    mohammad sami - **** cricketer, dont know why he is playing international matches when he should be carrying drinks for the school cricket team in his neighborhood
    mark ramprakash - 27 avg in 54 tests and they talk about giving him one more opportunity, sorry
    sherwin campbell - dont know if he played 50+ tests, feel too guilty to waste my sunday morning checking his stats. if he did play that many games then he is right up there
    navjot sidhu - another solid cricketer, like kim hughes; had a long test career but has left no imprint behind

feel bad to bunch and sidhu with three total losers - especially when i think of hughes' classic 100 against windies. a replacement for him could be ravi shastri or carl hooper.
    I like Ramprakash and Campbell, for this thread I mean

vcs
    Dilip Vengsarkar, made a living out of bullying weak teams in India. Agree with Caddick as well, quite a few English cricketers from the '90s should make the grade.

Hmm, Kim Hughes is an interesting pick. A possible argument to be made that the whole saga regarding his captaincy and then the rebel tours had quite an impact on Aus cricket.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

At this stage these are my 5.

1 Mark Burgess
    Mark Burgess | New Zealand Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

2 Chandu Borde Chandu Borde | India Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

3 Sherwin Campbell Sherwin Campbell | West Indies Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

4 Graeme Wood
    Graeme Wood | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

5 Doug Wright
    Doug Wright | England Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

After a bit more searching, I'm sure I'll find someone who deserves a place in front of Wood and Borde, who actually sounds like his career was more meaningful then I have given credit to him.
    Last edited by NUFAN; 26-02-2011 at 10:15 PM.

State Vice-Captain
    Wouldn't count Borde, he was quite popular and influential during his career.

Nor Doug Wright, quite popular domestically.
    Last edited by zorax; 26-02-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wouldn't count Borde, he was quite popular and influential during his career.
    Yeah true, I had just edited that in. He's just not a cricketer that I've been too aware of, but yeah like you say he shouldn't be there. Doug Wright actually had an amazing first class career, 7 hat tricks, but I don't think his Test career was that amazing.

I nearly included Mark Butcher, but he was responsible for one of the best 4th innings chases in Test history in my opinion.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Five names that came to mind.

Grant Flower
    Alistair Campbell
    Phil Edmonds
    Ashley Giles
    Dave Richardson (only played 44 Tests but deserves mention)

Flower probably did have some influence tbf.

Other 4 are probably good calls though.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

State Vice-Captain
    Yea, defo have Giles there.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
    Five names that came to mind.

Grant Flower
    Alistair Campbell
    Phil Edmonds
    Ashley Giles
    Dave Richardson (only played 44 Tests but deserves mention)
    You probably tried to put all the Legends of Zimbabwean cricket in there.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post

kim hughes - good cricketer, but forgotten totallymohammad sami - **** cricketer, dont know why he is playing international matches when he should be carrying drinks for the school cricket team in his neighborhood

I usually enjoy your posts, but if you are going to start criticising my boyhood hero we are going to have a falling out
    You know it makes sense.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information