• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How long can Misbah ul Haq play?

Woodster

International Captain
Misbah is in amazing form, his ODI and test record is really good: Misbah-ul-Haq | Pakistan Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

But the only downside is he is almost 37 years old, how long do you think he will play for??? from his form and fitness he doesn't look 37, I think he should stick around till the 2015 worldcup

what do you think?
Having against all odds found his way back into the Test team and now a pivotal player in both formats, think Misbah will see these as bonus years. He does look fit and his form is exceptional but cannot imagine he will go on as long as then. As is the way when you're over a certain age, as soon as a poor run of form comes along, he'll be out, and his current outstanding run will be forgotten.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The way Pakistan cricket is run he may well be in good form when he is bombed anyway such is the ludicrous way they chop and change things.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Given he never had the career he should've during his prime for various reasons, I think he'll have the drive to go on that most batsmen of his quality don't at his age. However, there's definitely a (IMO largely exaggerated) feeling around international cricket that players don't have too much utility beyond 35, so he won't be afforded a form slump, particularly if the team isn't going well when he hits one. There seems to be a feeling around that older players never have rough periods and that if they don't play well for a couple of series on the bounce they're finished - I don't really agree with it completely but it'll see him out of the team fairly shortly IMO.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Misbah has always been a very hot or cold player with form. His latest run will last until his next form dip strikes. At 37 years of age he is battling history in sustaining a good run for 1-2 years straight.

I do hold a lot of respect for Misbah. To return to the Pakistan team at his age and become the key batsman is a great effort and shows his professionalism.

Phantom

Banned
He's probably got a younger body, not having had as many taxing tours and only really starting to play internationally regularly well past his 30th birthday. Much like say a Katich to a lesser degree. He IS very good for that team, at least he has some ticker, if slightly limited in attack on the off side.

cnerd123

likes this
If you're good enough you're old/young enough tbh. It's not like he's a liability in the field or anything.

Bbbbuuutttt...he's probably gone as soon as he hits a form slump.

Gooch20

Banned
I think he should go the Graham Gooch way, play cricket in to his 40's

I personally think he can, he clearly he is a hardworker

Xuhaib

International Coach
started late so should have more steam then most 35+ feel looks top notch too reckon he's done enough to survive atleast one more bad run reckon he could be there for another 2 years since Pakistan don't play another test series vs a high quality bowling attack for another 2 years atleast.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
started late so should have more steam then most 35+ feel looks top notch too reckon he's done enough to survive atleast one more bad run reckon he could be there for another 2 years since Pakistan don't play another test series vs a high quality bowling attack for another 2 years atleast.
You've finally come around! :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
haha...he was one of the culprits for me for the Sydney test debacle so took long for me to forgive him has been immense since his comeback deserves all the pat on his back.
There was a time where I was the only one on this forum who believed Misbah should be anywhere near international cricket. I'm pretty chuffed tbh. :p

salman85

International Debutant
I agree with the notion that Misbah won't stick around for too long.Not because of ability,but because of his age.A dip in form will probably be the end of the road for him.That dip in form doesn't look anywhere close at the moment,but the he has proved a lot of people wrong,including myself,and i wouldn't write him off completely.Players like Azhar Ali and Asad Shafique are waiting in the wings,and they will most definitely form the backbone of Pakistan's middle order when Misbah and Younis retire.

I just have a feeling that if we win the World Cup,Younis might retire too.He's not mentioned anything along these lines yet,but that's just my gut feeling.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Always great to see players having a swansong late in their career. I really like Misbah, has a fantastic cricketing brain IMO.

jeevan

International 12th Man
There was a time where I was the only one on this forum who believed Misbah should be anywhere near international cricket. I'm pretty chuffed tbh. :p
You couldn't be the only one. Any Indian fan ought to have respect towards Misbah after how phenomenal he was in the last Paksitan tour of India. Felt like he stood between us and a sweep of the series, and this was a team with Salman Butt, Younis ( who've done exceedingly well against India) and a MoYo that only 12 months prior had the best year any batsman in history had had by many measures.

This is probably like Australians who can't figure how Laxman's never played a WC probably outnumber Indians who share the doubt.