• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket being a thriving sport.

slowfinger

International Debutant
This has been bugging me for a bit, haven't been on CW for a while also. But I fear that cricket hasn't got the exploding factor as it had all those years back. I mean, India (main host of WC), the stadiums aren't filled, Pakistan supporters aren't going berserk and there hasn't been a real promise of an ATG for a while. A lot of money has been shoved into 20/20 which isn't right and exciting anymore. It hasn't really been a contest of ball and bat as it has been and teams always adopt a defensive technique into the game whilst fielding. I don't think proper money has been invested into the game and I fear we need to sort it out soon. I typed cricket into Google and I found 141 M results whereas Baseball has 217M hits and Basketball has 267M hits. Football has 942M hits. Cricket is supposed to be the second most popular sport in the world. Moreover I feel more excited to spend 2 hours at the Foottie game rather than going to a 50 over game. If T20 could be like the Premier League (Football England) and have 20 teams or so competing in T20 format, then we have the Pro40 and the Tests as cups or friendlies then I think it would be more suitable and fun. There are also too many fixtures, so maybe instead of 20 teams have 5/6 teams and have divisions and like a top league and then go like that?

Maybe its just me but I think we need to discuss this.
Sorry if we already have but it slightly unnerves me. I think we have already discussed various formats but this is as a whole.

Thanks

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who gives a ****, cricket >>> any other sport, Google hits notwithstanding.

salman85

International Debutant
Stadiums in the world cup will start filling up once the good matches get underway.It's not even been a week.India has huge crowds,and i'm sure we'll see sell out games.

The part about 20/20 is there,and i'm completley in favor of football like domestic leagues and continental club competitions.That might even happen eventually,since Cricket is heading into that direction.People don't want to wait 5 days,or 8 hours for a result.Life has become faster,and people expect everything to be fast.It's only natural.It we don't change the game,then Cricket will die out.So it's better to let the past be,and move in a direction where Cricket remains exciting and is spread to larger global audience.Hate it or like it,T20 is the solution to that.

Last edited:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
there a two type of people in this world you are either one or the other.

the first type, is creative, pro active and willing to except change, the other is stale, unimaginative, static and idle.

one group drives the world the other watches it pass them by.

the ICC is ran by the watches

salman85

International Debutant
I'd disagree.

The ICC has worked towards the expansion of the sport,and bring change in the game itself.

Mike5181

International Captain
I think the eligibility rules need to be loosened up a bit on the associate nations. It will draw more interest to the respective nations and possibly lead to further financial/development of the sport. Countries like Ireland are losing some good players to England.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I'd disagree.

The ICC has worked towards the expansion of the sport,and bring change in the game itself.
there probably is alittle merit to that. but just two points

the intl ODI game was first played as an after thought after 4 consectutive rained out test days between australia and england in jan 71, the icc was ran largely by the ECB which is quite ironic because the limited over game had been played in england since the 60's

further more while the ECB debated over what to do with the new 20 20 over format which had been runnining for 3 years re: going towards an EPL type tournement india beat them to it first the rebel ICL and then the IPL was quickly put in place with BCCI backing. Both these changes came about due to unforseen circumstances, not the forsight of the ICC.

Last edited:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I think the eligibility rules need to be loosened up a bit on the associate nations. It will draw more interest to the respective nations and possibly lead to further financial/development of the sport. Countries like Ireland are losing some good players to England.
this is a joke that the ICC cant see this as the best possible way to advance the game.