Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cricketweb Uncapped XI

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc

The Cricketweb Uncapped XI

The object of the exercise is to select a team from all those who have played the game, but never at Test level. Can anyone improve on Martin's selection?

Fantastic article as always, Mr Fertang.

Bart King worth a shout, I reckon.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

InbeforePriceEWSsaysLillywhite

Cricket Web Staff Member gvenkat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post

The object of the exercise is to select a team from all those who have played the game, but never at Test level. Can anyone improve on Martin's selection?
    As I told you Martin. S.Sharath of India and Franklyn Stephenson of Windies are good candidates too.

I have two choices here Ganesh - the obvious one is to blame the omission of Stephenson on a senior moment and concede he's better than some of the choices I did make

The other is to adopt my usual CW routine when I'm wrong and refuse to admit the mistake and come out with some spurious justification like "just because he was the last bloke to do the double doesn't mean much when he was bowling on that seamer's paradise that was Trent Bridge in 1988"

As for Sharath I must confess to never having heard of him but a career average of over 50 shows he was a good player - is there a story there?

Banned
    A very well written and most informative article - I didn't even know five-six of those players before I read it.

Good article. But does this include players of minnow nations? Steve Tikolo is a good shout for a top class batsman, and Ceylon's Mahadevan Sathasivam dominated the international attacks during his day, and considered one of the better batsman of his era. Ryan ten Doschate, Hamid Hasan all have big shouts to be good bowlers. But it's difficult to get past some of the South Africans during the apartheid (Ex. Rice, Kirsten, Proctor, Bijil and Cook).
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

I didn't consider current players, on the rather tenuous basis that they might yet one day play a Test, but Tikolo would have to be a candidate once he did retire - great shame he never played County cricket - I would have loved to have seen him play outside ODI's

As for the Sri Lankans I was going to mention Derrick de Saram before I remembered Goonesena - I know Sathasivam's name but other than that not a lot - I've also now remembered Clive Inman, he of the 11 ball 50, and Stanley Jayasinghe who both played in England in the 60s

Cricket Web Staff Member gvenkat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I have two choices here Ganesh - the obvious one is to blame the omission of Stephenson on a senior moment and concede he's better than some of the choices I did make

The other is to adopt my usual CW routine when I'm wrong and refuse to admit the mistake and come out with some spurious justification like "just because he was the last bloke to do the double doesn't mean much when he was bowling on that seamer's paradise that was Trent Bridge in 1988"

As for Sharath I must confess to never having heard of him but a career average of over 50 shows he was a good player - is there a story there?

Sharath was probably unlucky that his career coincided when the Fab Four of the Indian middle order Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman was taking over Indian cricket. The sad part was he would always get selected to play the Rest of India team against the touring sides, would rack up some runs but find himself in the cold. In his case I think he was plain unlucky. Not sure if there was politics involved, could have been. But who would you replace from that batting line up?

I remember him having a run in with Dominic Cork. He took him to the cleaners and Cork and him had a scuffle in one of those A team games I believe.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Ken McEwan was the first thought that came to my mind. Good to see he's in there - he was brilliant for Essex.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

RtD
    Greatest Test XI::: S Gavaskar, M Hayden, D Bradman*, S Tendulkar, A Border, G Sobers, A Gilchrist, I Khan, S Warne, M Marshall, G McGrath
    Reserves: B Richards, V Richards, A Knott, M Muralitharan

Greatest ODI XI::: A Gilchrist, S Tendulkar, R Ponting*, V Richards, M Dhoni, M Bevan, S Pollock, W Akram, S Warne, J Garner, M Muralitharan, A Donald
    Reserves: A deVilliars, B Lara, R Hadlee, S Warne

William Lillywhite sprung to mind immediately. Was the best bowler in the world throughout his career but never played a Test because they were after his time. His name actually belongs in that thread bagapath created about retiring the best ever. You could put Alfred Mynn forward for similar reasons.

Excellent article anyway.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    InbeforePriceEWSsaysLillywhite
    Ahh damn it.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Jamie Siddons sprung to mind when I read the thread title, probably just because he played in the modern era.

Class player, not sure how many claims he has to be in the side over the others, but still unlucky not to be capped at test level.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Top work again btw, 'Tangy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information