• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Cricketweb Uncapped XI

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have two choices here Ganesh - the obvious one is to blame the omission of Stephenson on a senior moment and concede he's better than some of the choices I did make

The other is to adopt my usual CW routine when I'm wrong and refuse to admit the mistake and come out with some spurious justification like "just because he was the last bloke to do the double doesn't mean much when he was bowling on that seamer's paradise that was Trent Bridge in 1988"

As for Sharath I must confess to never having heard of him but a career average of over 50 shows he was a good player - is there a story there?

Blaze 18

Banned
A very well written and most informative article - I didn't even know five-six of those players before I read it.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Good article. But does this include players of minnow nations? Steve Tikolo is a good shout for a top class batsman, and Ceylon's Mahadevan Sathasivam dominated the international attacks during his day, and considered one of the better batsman of his era. Ryan ten Doschate, Hamid Hasan all have big shouts to be good bowlers. But it's difficult to get past some of the South Africans during the apartheid (Ex. Rice, Kirsten, Proctor, Bijil and Cook).

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I didn't consider current players, on the rather tenuous basis that they might yet one day play a Test, but Tikolo would have to be a candidate once he did retire - great shame he never played County cricket - I would have loved to have seen him play outside ODI's

As for the Sri Lankans I was going to mention Derrick de Saram before I remembered Goonesena - I know Sathasivam's name but other than that not a lot - I've also now remembered Clive Inman, he of the 11 ball 50, and Stanley Jayasinghe who both played in England in the 60s

gvenkat

State Captain
I have two choices here Ganesh - the obvious one is to blame the omission of Stephenson on a senior moment and concede he's better than some of the choices I did make

The other is to adopt my usual CW routine when I'm wrong and refuse to admit the mistake and come out with some spurious justification like "just because he was the last bloke to do the double doesn't mean much when he was bowling on that seamer's paradise that was Trent Bridge in 1988"

As for Sharath I must confess to never having heard of him but a career average of over 50 shows he was a good player - is there a story there?

Sharath was probably unlucky that his career coincided when the Fab Four of the Indian middle order Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman was taking over Indian cricket. The sad part was he would always get selected to play the Rest of India team against the touring sides, would rack up some runs but find himself in the cold. In his case I think he was plain unlucky. Not sure if there was politics involved, could have been. But who would you replace from that batting line up?

I remember him having a run in with Dominic Cork. He took him to the cleaners and Cork and him had a scuffle in one of those A team games I believe.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
William Lillywhite sprung to mind immediately. Was the best bowler in the world throughout his career but never played a Test because they were after his time. His name actually belongs in that thread bagapath created about retiring the best ever. You could put Alfred Mynn forward for similar reasons.

Excellent article anyway.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jamie Siddons sprung to mind when I read the thread title, probably just because he played in the modern era.

Class player, not sure how many claims he has to be in the side over the others, but still unlucky not to be capped at test level.

Top_Cat

In with a shout of pipping Berry, Wade Seccombe. Healy rated him much higher than Gilchrist with the gloves.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Jamie Siddons sprung to mind when I read the thread title, probably just because he played in the modern era.

Class player, not sure how many claims he has to be in the side over the others, but still unlucky not to be capped at test level.
Yeah great player but I did think he was a better player before Merv broke his jaw. Don't think he was quite the same player after that, especially to anything around head height (which he obviously copped a lot of afterward).

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Yeah batted very differently after Merv, was a lot more jumpy at the crease, but not in a bad way just a different way, I doubt he was scared. But he always seemed to be waiting for the short ball and pulled and hooked a lot less. Still was a superb front foot player, and great behind sqaure on the off side.