• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2003 Red Stripe Bowl

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know how many of you guys are interested, but the 2003 Red Stripe Bowl is scheduled to kick off at the start of October.

For those of you who don't know, the Red Stripe Bowl is the annual domestic OD tournament in the West Indies.

The Schedule

Zone A

Oct 1 T&T vs Leewards XI at UWI XI
Oct 2 Canada vs Windwards at Jamalco
Oct 3 Jamaica vs Leewards XI at Kensington
Oct 4 T&T vs Canada at ALPART
Oct 5 Jamaica vs Windwards at ALPART
Oct 7 Windwards vs Leewards XI at Chedwin Park
Oct 8 Jamaica vs Canada at Port Esquivel
Oct 9 T&T vs Windwards at Kensington
Oct 11 Canada vs Leewards XI at Melbourne
Oct 12 Jamaica vs T&T at Sabina Park

Zone B

Oct 1 Guyana vs WI U19 at ARG
Oct 2 Barbados vs University XI at ARG
Oct 3 Leewards Champion vs WI U19 at ARG
Oct 4 Guyana vs University XI at ARG
Oct 5 Leewards Champion vs Barbados at ARG
Oct 7 University XI vs WI U19 at ARG
Oct 8 Barbados vs Guyana at ARG
Oct 9 Leewards Champion vs University XI at ARG
Oct 11 Barbados vs WI U19 at ARG
Oct 12 Leewards Champion vs Guyana at ARG

Oct 16 Zone A winner vs Zone B runner-up at Kaiser
Oct 17 Zone B winner vs Zone A runner-up at Kaiser

Oct 19 Final at Kaiser

Zone A and the semi-final and final matches will be played in Jamaica, and Zone B will be played in Antigua.

Mr Mxyzptlk

The Squads

I tip Jamaica to win it. The Jamaican squad this year looks awesome with the ability to put XI international players on the field.

Rich2001

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The Squads

I tip Jamaica to win it. The Jamaican squad this year looks awesome with the ability to put XI international players on the field.
Can I take it from that, that Canada are the invited team this year.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well Canada has played the RSB before. We consider them almost an associate member of sorts. It's only in the Carib Beer Cup that we officially invite international teams.

Craig

World Traveller
I cant wait for it. When does The Carib Beer Competition start?

Liam, since you are a Trini - how do you rate Dwayne Bravo? I know he went to Englan last year on the 'A' team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

The Carib Beer Cup is not until around February.

Bravo is a very impressive talent. His main attribute is his batting and he's quite the strokeplayer, but over the last season, his bowling has really come along. He bowls quickish medium and I've heard that he swings it a bit at times. I think that he could be a particularly handy ODI player in years to come. I don't know how effective his bowling would be at Test level however, but as I implied before, his bowling is fast improving.

Rich2001

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well Canada has played the RSB before. We consider them almost an associate member of sorts. It's only in the Carib Beer Cup that we officially invite international teams.
Right, got them mixed up :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Yes, I heard so on the radio today. I'm a bit surprised, but I guess he was the best West Indian spin option as he's unlikely to be on tour with the senior team.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The Carib Beer Cup is not until around February.

Bravo is a very impressive talent. His main attribute is his batting and he's quite the strokeplayer, but over the last season, his bowling has really come along. He bowls quickish medium and I've heard that he swings it a bit at times. I think that he could be a particularly handy ODI player in years to come. I don't know how effective his bowling would be at Test level however, but as I implied before, his bowling is fast improving.
A potential batting all-rounder? I hope he is better then Dave Bernard.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
A potential batting all-rounder? I hope he is better then Dave Bernard.
Dave Bernard is talented but clearly not at Test standard yet. He was very much out of his depth, but I wouldn't give up on him for the future.

Bravo seems to have more pace than Bernard and does more with the ball from what I've seen.

Craig

World Traveller
Liam, can you back my theroy up that batsmen from Trinidad and Guyana produce the best players of spin bowling? I'm not saying that it is only the two countries who produce them in the Caribbean.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Looking at the facts...

1/ Brian Lara (T&T) and Carl Hooper (Guyana) are two of the best players of spin to come out of the West Indies. Brian Lara is IMO one of the best negotiators of spin of all-time.
2/ Ramnaresh Sarwan (Guyana) has handled Murali superbly when he's faced him. He batted impressively on the debacle that was the Sri Lanka tour in 2001.
3/ Shivnarine Chanderpaul (Guyana) is certainly not to be underestimated against spin.
4/ Dinanath Ramnarine (T&T), Mukesh Persad (T&T) and Dave Mohammed (T&T) are all respected in the Caribbean as top spinners.
5/ Neil McGarrell (Guyana) and Mahendra Nagamootoo (Guyana) have been extremely successful at regional level.
6/ Daren Ganga (T&T) is more than a useful batsman against spin (...when he's willing to sweep).

In summation, it's no secret that Trinidad and Tobago and Guyana produce the best spin options in the Caribbean, so you would think that they would produce the best players of spin. Indeed, the pitches in both countries are more condusive to spin bowling than others in the Caribbean. That said, I don't consider any major pitch in the Caribbean to be a spinners wicket. Lara, Hooper, Chanders, Sarwan are among the top players of spin in the Caribbean.