• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Summer of Gooch?

Gooch20

Banned
recently while watching a match some commentator made a comment about "Summer of Gooch"

unfortunaly he didn't say the year. But what year or season is known as the "summer of Gooch" in english cricket??

i am assuming 1990, where Graham Gooch scored many runs? or perhaps the 1981 season?

I am not really sure

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
1990. amazing amount of runs. Of course the big 333 at Lords too. Ton is the 2nd dig too. Amazing few years for him for someone at the very end of his career and approaching 40.

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It was an amazing summer, 1990, Gooch was getting runs all over the place. 333 in the 1st innings at Lord's. and another hundred in the second. No batsman has ever scored more runs in a single test.

And to think that just a year before, Gooch was ready to quit cricket altogether because Terry Alderman was making him look a fool (and test match scorecards were being ready-printed with the legend "Gooch lbw b Alderman 0")

Actually, the real batting highlight of the Lord's test came from Kapil Dev. 9 wickets down, 23 needed to avoid the follow on. 4 deliveries left of an Eddie Hemmings over, and the prospect of Angus Fraser getting to bowl at Hirwani from the other end. Kapil Dev got out of it the easy way, with 4 successive sixes....

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
The BBC even produced a video called Gooch's Summer, 1990 test series vs NZ and India. I have 4 copies, all hand signed by Gooch in 1990 when England toured here!!!! Killer video too, 3 hours of gold. Ebay usually has one every time ive looked, pick it up for like $2 these days.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I had one of those videos too, he was helped by the fact that that year NZ and India had rank bad bowling attacks and it was the summer of runs. Even Neil Fairbrother got a triple hundred in a championship match that year. Awesome achievement but the balls were changed and was a year when all batsmen made lots of runs.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I had one of those videos too, he was helped by the fact that that year NZ and India had rank bad bowling attacks and it was the summer of runs. Even Neil Fairbrother got a triple hundred in a championship match that year. Awesome achievement but the balls were changed and was a year when all batsmen made lots of runs.
new zealand had a certain rj hadlee. not rank bad at all.
India also had Kapil Dev and a young Kumble. "Rank" definately seems unfair. I'd accept an argument that Hadlee was more or less on his own though.