• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chappell advises Hussey to retire

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Speaking as an England fan, who naturally hates all Aussies, especially if they happen to be really good, I think this is an excellent idea! The only batsman to play above expectations for the Aussies in the Ashes series should retire from the game, and let younger failures, sorry batsmen, like Smith and North and Hughes get more opportunites.....

Seriously, wtf? If Australia struggle in the world cup (which is possible. either that or they will win the whole damn thing), then the pundits will be begging for Hussey to be brought back....

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have no idea how ChappellG keeps getting coaching gigs. Not that he could have done much about South Australia's set-up as far as winning anything goes but geez, managed to **** off a lot of good people when he was coaching here.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
The selectors are crazy, the only reasonable thing i can think their trying to achieve is that maybe their trying to implement some sort of youth policy and see the side as in a rebuild period? If so they won't drop many of the other current players because their not as old as hussey or they provide other leadership roles? Still don't agree the side for a world cup should be picked from your best players...

Burgey

This can't be true, surely? Hussey is commentating on Fox Sports through the WC. I hops someone asks him about this.

howardj

International Coach
I actually applaud Chappell's advice - let's not overstate Hussey's Ashes. He had three good Tests, in admist 2 and a half years of not much. His last two Ashes Tests he was back to his old form. He's 36 by the time we play our next Test match, and is a player in my view who is in clear decline. Players, as a rule don't improve once they get to that vintage. Just how long do some people on here want these guys to go on for? Till they're 38? 39?

Now, having said that, it was a piss poor decision to omit him from the World Cup - particularly in the face of Kontouris' counsel.

Burgey

I actually applaud Chappell's advice - let's not overstate Hussey's Ashes. He had three good Tests, in admist 2 and a half years of not much. His last two Ashes Tests he was back to his old form. He's 36 by the time we play our next Test match, and is a player in my view who is in clear decline. Players, as a rule don't improve once they get to that vintage. Just how long do some people on here want these guys to go on for? Till they're 38? 39?

Now, having said that, it was a piss poor decision to omit him from the World Cup - particularly in the face of Kontouris' counsel.
Whilst I don't disagree with your sentiments mate, what this does is call into quesiton the basis for omitting him from the WC squad in the first place. It makes you wonder thwether the injury was merely a pretext and they've called time on him, particularly in light of the advice of the physio.

howardj

International Coach
Whilst I don't disagree with your sentiments mate, what this does is call into quesiton the basis for omitting him from the WC squad in the first place. It makes you wonder thwether the injury was merely a pretext and they've called time on him, particularly in light of the advice of the physio.
Yeah, could be the case.

Because if there was one guy in our whole squad who I would make concessions for, give all the time in the world to get himself right, it's Hussey. Like Bevan, he just has an innate ability to time run chases to perfection. And, make no mistake, the run chases over there will be testing. Even Bangladesh make 290 the other night.

Also probably one of the few guys we have who's comfortable starting against spin.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If they'd wanted to do that, why did they name him in the squad initially when you could've just left him out?

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Virtually none of our guys can handle spin as well as Hussey. Ferguson doesnt have any idea, though I dearly hope he has a great tournament, Clarke has the batting yips against spin for the latter half of his career, Dussey and White can tonk spin but defensively have zero idea. When Ponting goes to India looking like our best player of spin- in India- then you know we have some problems, though he has improved but is by no means a master of these conditions. Mike Hussey and Watson are the best we have at attacking and defending spin.

Spikey

doherty's already back and playing too. amazing stuff by the selectors.

but as i've said before i'd rather hussey go than ponting so i don't mind this.

TumTum

Banned
Virtually none of our guys can handle spin as well as Hussey. Ferguson doesnt have any idea, though I dearly hope he has a great tournament, Clarke has the batting yips against spin for the latter half of his career, Dussey and White can tonk spin but defensively have zero idea. When Ponting goes to India looking like our best player of spin- in India- then you know we have some problems, though he has improved but is by no means a master of these conditions. Mike Hussey and Watson are the best we have at attacking and defending spin.
Agree with everything you just said there. Although despite handling it well, Watson doesn't rotate strike enough against spin. Mussey is a big loss.

Burgey

If they'd wanted to do that, why did they name him in the squad initially when you could've just left him out?
Yeah, though I actually don't think they reaslistically could have after this summer. There'd have been a riot. I just wonder if they'd been thinking over it and his injury came at the right time for them to use it as a pretext.

Then again, maybe I need to get a tin foil hat and call for Obama's birth certificate.