Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chappell advises Hussey to retire

Waiting for someone from the wc squad to mysteriously get injured now and Hussey to come in as a replacement.

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Waiting for someone from the wc squad to mysteriously get injured now and Hussey to come in as a replacement.
    Haha so true.. watch out for Steven Smith.

.... "It's unfortunate he'll not be able to form part of our squad. He is an extremely talented individual but he is also a kid, so he'll surely have many opportunities in the future", added Ponting while at the same time emphasising that, "Hussey coming back is a tremendous morale booster for our squad. He is a proven matchwinner and his experience in the middle order will be invaluable"....

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    maybe Aus can do what Pak did with Sohail Tanvir..........Junaid Khan seems like a decent replacement.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Not happy at all. Hussey has our best odi batsmen for ages, no matter whats Clarke's stats say. Always plays the exact innings required.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    Not happy at all. Hussey has our best odi batsmen for ages, no matter whats Clarke's stats say. Always plays the exact innings required.
    Agree. I have no clue as to what the Australian selectors are thinking. If I didn't know better, I'd say there were mentally ********.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Speaking as an England fan, who naturally hates all Aussies, especially if they happen to be really good, I think this is an excellent idea! The only batsman to play above expectations for the Aussies in the Ashes series should retire from the game, and let younger failures, sorry batsmen, like Smith and North and Hughes get more opportunites.....

Seriously, wtf? If Australia struggle in the world cup (which is possible. either that or they will win the whole damn thing), then the pundits will be begging for Hussey to be brought back....

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Have no idea how ChappellG keeps getting coaching gigs. Not that he could have done much about South Australia's set-up as far as winning anything goes but geez, managed to **** off a lot of good people when he was coaching here.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

The selectors are crazy, the only reasonable thing i can think their trying to achieve is that maybe their trying to implement some sort of youth policy and see the side as in a rebuild period? If so they won't drop many of the other current players because their not as old as hussey or they provide other leadership roles? Still don't agree the side for a world cup should be picked from your best players...

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    This can't be true, surely? Hussey is commentating on Fox Sports through the WC. I hops someone asks him about this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

I actually applaud Chappell's advice - let's not overstate Hussey's Ashes. He had three good Tests, in admist 2 and a half years of not much. His last two Ashes Tests he was back to his old form. He's 36 by the time we play our next Test match, and is a player in my view who is in clear decline. Players, as a rule don't improve once they get to that vintage. Just how long do some people on here want these guys to go on for? Till they're 38? 39?

Now, having said that, it was a piss poor decision to omit him from the World Cup - particularly in the face of Kontouris' counsel.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    I actually applaud Chappell's advice - let's not overstate Hussey's Ashes. He had three good Tests, in admist 2 and a half years of not much. His last two Ashes Tests he was back to his old form. He's 36 by the time we play our next Test match, and is a player in my view who is in clear decline. Players, as a rule don't improve once they get to that vintage. Just how long do some people on here want these guys to go on for? Till they're 38? 39?

Now, having said that, it was a piss poor decision to omit him from the World Cup - particularly in the face of Kontouris' counsel.
    Whilst I don't disagree with your sentiments mate, what this does is call into quesiton the basis for omitting him from the WC squad in the first place. It makes you wonder thwether the injury was merely a pretext and they've called time on him, particularly in light of the advice of the physio.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Whilst I don't disagree with your sentiments mate, what this does is call into quesiton the basis for omitting him from the WC squad in the first place. It makes you wonder thwether the injury was merely a pretext and they've called time on him, particularly in light of the advice of the physio.
    Yeah, could be the case.

Because if there was one guy in our whole squad who I would make concessions for, give all the time in the world to get himself right, it's Hussey. Like Bevan, he just has an innate ability to time run chases to perfection. And, make no mistake, the run chases over there will be testing. Even Bangladesh make 290 the other night.

Also probably one of the few guys we have who's comfortable starting against spin.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    If they'd wanted to do that, why did they name him in the squad initially when you could've just left him out?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Virtually none of our guys can handle spin as well as Hussey. Ferguson doesnt have any idea, though I dearly hope he has a great tournament, Clarke has the batting yips against spin for the latter half of his career, Dussey and White can tonk spin but defensively have zero idea. When Ponting goes to India looking like our best player of spin- in India- then you know we have some problems, though he has improved but is by no means a master of these conditions. Mike Hussey and Watson are the best we have at attacking and defending spin.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    doherty's already back and playing too. amazing stuff by the selectors.

but as i've said before i'd rather hussey go than ponting so i don't mind this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information