• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wise men of cricket

hang on

State Vice-Captain
We must needs heed the opinions of cricket sages, whether a Cardus, a Woodcock, a Benaud or even a Guha or a James, to form our own. Corporal and temporal constraints and the small matter of having to earn a crust would have it this way, unfortunately.

And so:
Who are the wisemen whose cricketing opinions have influenced your own?
Whose opinions do you consider worthy of noting at present?
Of course, some pundits are quite capable of making sense on some issues while being complete 'buffoons' on others. Do any particularly egregious instances and culprits come to mind?
In general, do topflight (ex)cricketers make better analysts of the game?

Some examples and anecdotes would be most welcome, and are eagerly sought.

Happy reminiscing...and feel free to be a wiseguy!

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Getting back on topic:

Peter Roebuck
Gideon Haigh
Christopher Martin-Jenkins
Duncan Fletcher

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Atherton deserves a mention here. Also Jonathan Agnew for me probably, since I've probably heard him talk more about cricket than anyone.

salman85

International Debutant
Ian Chappell and Imran Khan.

Imran because of the obvious Pakistani thing,and Chappell since my earliest memories of cricket have him as the analyst/commentator.

Tim De Leslie deserves a mention here too.

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
tim de lisle, u mean, salman. yep, he was good.

i have found cozier to be enlightening, and i have always been fond of woodcock, even though he has had a few regrettable moments of hysterical overstatement. true pity that cmj could never fill the great man's boots, despite his admirable attempts at pomposity, something that i am quite a connoisseur of, btw!

don't think much of atherton, unfortunately, though i must be in the minority regarding that.

do like benaud, of course. love the 12th man tapes, too!

Last edited: