• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and Worst TV Commentators

salman85

International Debutant
Not sure if there's a thread on the same topic,but what commentators do you loathe and which ones do you love?One commentator for each cateogry.

Let's keep this to ones that everyone knows and not local ones.

The one i loathe : Ian Healey.I'll use a youtube comment by someone to express my opinion of his commentary "He needs to drop the pom poms and lose the mini skirt,and stop creaming his panties everytime the Aussies score a boundary or get a wicket"

The one i love : Bill Lawry.Epic.

Maximus0723

State Regular
Being a native of subcontinent, I hate lot of subcontinent commentators.
Arun Lal, LaxmanShivRamaKrishna, Gavaskar, Amir Sohail are all crap.

One who I really like and respect is Ravi Shahstri. I think he is tad underrated among ppl outside of subcontinent.

MyLord

School Boy/Girl Captain
Agree about Manjrekar, he is the best of the sorry lot. Limits his cliches, trys to actually analyse and say whats happening in the field (even if you tend to disagree with him) rather than just "wat a baal!" radio commentary like all the others.

Commentator from hell would be Sidhu, Lord of the Jackasses. Thankfully he is restricted to post and pre session analysis. If he were a little bit worse than he is and a little bit less of an jackass he would be in the "so bad, its good" category with the likes of Ed Wood.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Manjrekar is poor IMO. Rarely says anything incisive. Agree that Shastri is actually very good.

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah, i tend to dislike the ones who are blatantly biased. Simon Doull has been pretty impressive over the last year or so. He acts in a professional manner, respects other commentators opinions and actually seems to do his homework on touring players most viewers are seeing for the first time etc. Craig McMillan is rather dire to be honest. His constant rambling/moaning about when to take the power play etc.

Howe_zat

Audio File
There's nothing wrong with biased commentary so long as it's honestly that way. The problem with a lot of TV commentary is often that it's neither impartial nor informative, due to not really being able to express much opinion. So you get a lot of trite.

But then, I'm a sofa-ist, so what do I know. 8-)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, i tend to dislike the ones who are blatantly biased. Simon Doull has been pretty impressive over the last year or so. He acts in a professional manner, respects other commentators opinions and actually seems to do his homework on touring players most viewers are seeing for the first time etc. Craig McMillan is rather dire to be honest. His constant rambling/moaning about when to take the power play etc.
Ian Smith and Danny Morrison are the atrocious NZ commentators IMO. McMillan is dire but not cringeworthy while Richardson and Doull really seem to be getting to that higher echelon of NZ commentators.

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ian Smith is the worst Ive ever heard. The way he claimed "not to remember" NZ's running out of Murali when he was merely congratulating his partner for getting a hundred, whilst slagging off England for running out Elliott, was shocking.

Most of the subcontinental commentators are either poor or unmemorable. But Shastri is excellent, and Sivarakrishnan is good. Gavaskar is ok too.

From England, David Lloyd is excellent, and Nasser Hussain, David Gower and Mike Atherton are very good. Ian Botham is a waste of space. But none of the tv commentators match the brilliance of the main radio commemtators, Jonathan Agnew and Christopher Martin-Jenkins, who are the 2 best in the world.

From South Africa, most are good, especially Robin Jackman and Ackermann, Pollock is improving all the time.

Not really familiar enough with the Aussies, except through the work of Billy Birmingham. Apart from Benaud of course, who is superb.

Tony Cozier is brilliant.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Jackmann, Cozier and Athers are good.
Atherton's reading of the game and dry sense of humour makes him a good commentator.
Doesn't state the obvious and says just what needs to be said, not more. The Richie Benaud of English commentators.
Oh and I dare not forget Blowers, my dear old thing.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Apart from the commentators there are these fringe TV experts that are so annoying. Unfortunately I am not getting to watch enough live cricket, so I end up watching their penal discussions. Worst of them is this guy.

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
Best : Tony Greig, Shane Warne, Ian Chappell, Ravi Shastri, Robin Jackman.

Most entertaining : Ramiz Raja, Danny Morrison.

Worst : Laxman Sivaramkrishnan, Arun Lal, Sanjay Manjrekar, Russel Arnold, Ranjit Fernando.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Think Bob Willis is pretty good myself, shame he's not involved more often. Still quite like Bumble, but find him rather annoying more and more frequently these days. Have no great like or dislike for the majority of the rest of the crop though. Jonathan Agnew the best going for me personally.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ian Smith is the worst Ive ever heard. The way he claimed "not to remember" NZ's running out of Murali when he was merely congratulating his partner for getting a hundred, whilst slagging off England for running out Elliott, was shocking.
Don't forget the same thing happening to Chris Mpofu as well, when congratulating his batting partner for reaching 50.

Anyway, Jeremy Coney is by far the best Kiwi commentator. Richardson probably the next best and the remainder are a bunch of fools either obsessed with betting or the timing of power plays.

By far the worst is Mark Nicholas. If I wanted to hear a man ejaculate, I'd be watching p0rn, not cricket.

Always enjoy the commentator offered by the opposition. Rameez (Ramiz?) Raja was excellent value this Summer.