• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Captaincy - does it or doesn't it?

Spark

Global Moderator
It's somewhat ironic that it's better, from a player's standpoint, to be irredeemably **** as captain than merely mediocre or poor.

Bun

Banned
Ponting is a terrific example. First half of his captaincy he was unstoppable as a batsman and captain. Second half things have been exactly opposite.

Spark

Global Moderator
He was pretty average as a captain at the start of his captaincy (which is, of course, understandable)

Bun

Banned
To be fair to Sachin, he was 26 the last time he captained India, and averaged a shade over as captain which I think is not terrible considering he had captaincy stints at 22 something. I personally believe he would definitely have done a better job.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be fair to Sachin, he was 26 the last time he captained India, and averaged a shade over as captain which I think is not terrible considering he had captaincy stints at 22 something. I personally believe he would definitely have done a better job.
He was pretty poor in the IPL, although T20s are completely different from tests..

bagapath

International Captain
sachin is not a good captain by any stretch of imagination. i am not a fan of the "leading by example" school. it doesnt work in the longer run. thats why i am not a big fan of imran's captaincy as much as his exploits as a cricketer. greater captains - greater - have managed to pull rabbits out of hats despite poor personal contribution, like mark taylor and mike brearely.

Maximus0723

State Regular
sachin is not a good captain by any stretch of imagination. i am not a fan of the "leading by example" school. it doesnt work in the longer run. thats why i am not a big fan of imran's captaincy as much as his exploits as a cricketer. greater captains - greater - have managed to pull rabbits out of hats despite poor personal contribution, like mark taylor and mike brearely.
but it DID work for Imran.