• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5 Most Influential Cricketers of All Time

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
he definately inspired those in australia, england and non sc countries for doing it. I think , regardless of whether from sc or not, he did things with the ball that no other leggies could do, and pushed the boundries of what was possible. Kumble, murali and harbhajan have all said what warne has done with the ball is amazing and inspirational.
Did he perform things that other leggies failed to do except taking 700 wickets? No. In fact Warne's repertoire was limited than that of Qadir, who possessed three versions of googlies in addition to leggies, toppies, flippers and sliders that he bowled. So Warne never pushed any boundary other than for the wickets total. There was nothing new he perfected or given to the cricket other than inspiration, which all other great spinners did give. Did Warne push boundaries of leg spin as Chadra or O'Riely? No. O'Riely, Chandra and Kumble were of their kind who were a rarer breed of leg spinners than what Warne represented. Chandra showed even spinners can bowl some sharp bouncers as surprise weapons. In conclusion, Warne perfected an art that was handed to him by many greats before him. On other hand, Kumble had to learn it by himself, because his breed was much rarer.

And i'd wager the fact that there are a lot of spinners in sc countries (ie india and lanka) were that they had very few good pacemen. in terms of quality, there were a few , but not a ridiculous amount, and not many at all who could come close to warne. I think he definately made a name for himself, revolutionalised it, and made it fashionable.
You mean spinners? Once again Warne had nothing to revaloutinise, because it was an already perfected art, which he added nothing new. So difficult to understand how he revolutionized it.

In terms of him being a 'media beast', his record speaks for itself. He is just as influential as murali.
"Media beast" is used to denote about the myths that were created around Warne. His record is awesome, but to say he revolutionized leg spin bowling or saved it from extinction is pushing on the boundaries.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Migara, I can only speak from my own experience growing up in the '90s, Warne was a big role model. You don't have to do anything revolutionary for that. Perfecting your art and picking up bucketloads of wickets with magic balls helps more.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Migara, I can only speak from my own experience growing up in the '90s, Warne was a big role model. You don't have to do anything revolutionary for that. Perfecting your art and picking up bucketloads of wickets with magic balls helps more.
I accept that he was a role model, and you'd be surprised to hear that he was my role model too! (yeah, I was a leggie too with a similar action to Warne, and started my bowling in 1990 as a U-15 player, and had never seen Warne when I started. But was astonished to see I bowled very similar to him when he toured SL in 1992/3 series. After that tried to reproduce what ever he did).

But the argument is on revival of the leg spin bowling, and revolutionizing it, which I strongly disagree.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I accept that he was a role model, and you'd be surprised to hear that he was my role model too! (yeah, I was a leggie too with a similar action to Warne, and started my bowling in 1990 as a U-15 player, and had never seen Warne when I started. But was astonished to see I bowled very similar to him when he toured SL in 1992/3 series. After that tried to reproduce what ever he did).

But the argument is on revival of the leg spin bowling, and revolutionizing it, which I strongly disagree.
While maybe he didn't revolutionize leg spin, he certainly brought the ***y back to it, imo.

vcs

Fair enough. Agree with Cruxdude as well.

Burgey

Grace - popularised it in England, to a large extent
Ranji - the leg side game
D'Olivera - SA and all
Gilchrist - there were fine keeper-batsmen before him, and will be others after. But no longer will someone be picked purely on the basis of their 'keeping.
Worrell - first black man to skipper the WI.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
this. migara doesnt know what the hell shes talking about. what do u want him to do to revolutionise, bowl the ball out of his ***hole??

he was more attacking than other spinners,created mental pressure, bowled perfectly to a field, knew exactly what to bowl to different batsmen, set batsman up in a calculated way.
look at qadirs numbers champ, he is not the bowler warne was. just because you have "3 googlies doesn't mean you are revolutionary". Warne mastered his craft and had the control that nobody else did. His control and sustained brilliance influenced many.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
this. migara doesnt know what the hell shes talking about. what do u want him to do to revolutionise, bowl the ball out of his ***hole??

he was more attacking than other spinners,created mental pressure, bowled perfectly to a field, knew exactly what to bowl to different batsmen, set batsman up in a calculated way.
look at qadirs numbers champ, he is not the bowler warne was. just because you have "3 googlies doesn't mean you are revolutionary". Warne mastered his craft and had the control that nobody else did. His control and sustained brilliance influenced many.
Pure bull**** because this fella has never seen Qadir in action. And vicleggie thinks that Warne has revolutionized legspin (and my be speaking out of arsehole!).

Qadir was umpteen times more attacking than Warne and because he was so attacking some times went for runs. Add Chadrashekar to that, even bowled bouncers at batsmen!. And setting up batsmen, look at how Kumble did it. And if numbers are the ones you look at then Murali and O'Riely are far ahead of Warne.

Get off your patriotic high horse. Warne was a fine bowler, but never revolutionized leg spin. He perfected an already known set of skills, that it. And all the crap about pressure, setting up blah, blah, was done by all the great spinners of cricket, Warne hasn't revolutionized that aspect either.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Saqlain did though. Although doosra or doosra like deliveries were recorded before Saqlain, no one made the impact that Saqlain made. Doosra revolutionised the art and used of off spin in post 90s and 00s. And so was Iverson. His carom ball was a novelty.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He certainly was, and although Murali's SR is 2 points better, it can be explained away by several reasons - minnows and home conditions, for example.

The difference between Qadir's SR and Warne's is 15 points. That can't be explained away.