• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Garry Sobers v Imran Khan,Test Cricket:Poll

Who was the better Test cricketer: Imran or Sobers?

• Total voters

Teja.

Global Moderator
Basically I know that people who rate Imran higher are in the minority but from comments in other threads, not as small a minority as I first thought. Would want to know just how significant this group is.

I'm definitely part of it.

Request mods not to merge with a previous thread, if it exists, as people might have changed their opinions, and I want a fresh poll.

No irrelevant option for the sake of accuracy.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Pretty sure I clicked the poll option itbt. Would be grateful if a mod adds a poll without an irrelevant option, thanks.

smash84

The Tiger King
You have created a tough poll. I am a massive Imran fanboy. Rate him only second to Bradman.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Tough choice as Sobers and Imran have very little in common other than the all-rounder tag. Sobers the greatest batting all-rounder of all time. Imran the greatest bowling all-rounder of all time.

The batting of Khan roughly cancels out the bowling impact of Sobers. Khan doesn't quite make my top five greatest bowlers of all time. Sobers is unquestionably in my top three batsman of all time. Sobers would also be the only player of the two I would select in my All Time XI.

Adding the impact of a number of other intangible aspects I would rate Sobers higher. But still a very tough comparison.

smash84

The Tiger King
Tough choice as Sobers and Imran have very little in common other than the all-rounder tag. Sobers the greatest batting all-rounder of all time. Imran the greatest bowling all-rounder of all time.

The batting of Khan roughly cancels out the bowling impact of Sobers. Khan doesn't quite make my top five greatest bowlers of all time. Sobers is unquestionably in my top three batsman of all time. Sobers would also be the only player of the two I would select in my All Time XI.

Adding the impact of a number of other intangible aspects I would rate Sobers higher. But still a very tough comparison.
leadership???

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I do admire the respect that smalishah84 has for Imran. A quick post history check reveals 398 mentions of Imran in only 2,856 posts. That is impressive. :happy:
I reckon BhupinderSingh probably mentioned Imran in about 90% of his posts.

Anyway, it's definitely Imran for me. I think he's the greatest Test cricket in the history of the game, so it was a bit of a no-brainer for me.

smash84

The Tiger King
I do admire the respect that smalishah84 has for Imran. A quick post history check reveals 398 mentions of Imran in only 2,856 posts. That is impressive. :happy:
less than 400??????? I thought it would have been more........taking into account the fact that I am planning to register as an activist for his political party :)

Maximus0723

State Regular
Imran's bowling definitely makes my top 5 assuming we are not talking about blocks like Bonds who played very little.

I haven't watched any of these legends. Most if not all the estimations are from stats.

Sobers has an SR or 91 with bowl. Sub par. Yea, he does provides options but they aren't that good unless, well, he is in his peak, but, overall, not good.

Fusion

Global Moderator
We've had plenty of these threads before. I guess one more can't hurt. :)

As for me, I rate Sobers as the most complete cricketer ever, followed by Imran. Two epic players, two giants of the game. I'm just thrilled that they both played during the television age so we have footage of both to marvel at.

smash84

The Tiger King
I reckon BhupinderSingh probably mentioned Imran in about 90% of his posts.

Anyway, it's definitely Imran for me. I think he's the greatest Test cricket in the history of the game, so it was a bit of a no-brainer for me.
Read my sig PEWS :)

smash84

The Tiger King
You post with only smilies ruined your stats:dry:
darn.........I need to improve my stats......Imran Imran Imran....

btw we did have a thread regarding the all rounders debate where Ikki had quite a bit to add. Bagapath would be able to shed some light here.........he is quite knowledgeable about the game (or seems to be :))