Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 cricketers of the century and a bit?

State Vice-Captain

5 cricketers of the century and a bit?

Who would/should they be? When such an exercise was first conducted by Wisden in '96, the 5 were:

Bradman
    Sobers
    Hobbs
    Richards
    Warne

I believe - though I am not totally sure about it - that when the exercise was reprised in '00, the same 5 were again selected.

Now the field would be a more competitive one with the addition of a few more names - Tendulkar, Gichrist, Kallis, Lara, Murali.

Note: I will freely confess that I felt that the methodology (simplistically construed) adopted by Wisden was rather strange; in fact, not to put too fine a point on it, it was actually somewhat biased in favour of the countries with the longest cricketing histories. Essentially, the number of voters (cricketing and cricket related worthies from around the globe) were in proportion to the length of time that their countries had been playing tests, a rather strange way of conducting such an exercise, and one that would go a long way towards explaining how Warne (in '96) was chosen as one of the cricketers of the century ahead of more deserving candidates.

Please feel free to choose your 5, preferably in descending order of importance, using any combination of cricketing prowess and influence on the game. Interesting digressions are also appreciated, though preferably not those related to voting and public choice theories!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Bradman
    Sobers
    Hobbs
    Richards
    Warne

State Vice-Captain
    Bradman
    Warne
    Murali
    Sobers
    Tendulkar (Just barely)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    I did feel that Warne in 96 didn't deserve that crown. But now having followed all his career I think he should be there

Bradman
    Imran Khan
    Gary Sobers
    Richards/Tendulkar
    Warne/Murali

I am undecided between the 4 and 5 positions.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

State Vice-Captain
    I feel that Gilchrist deserves to be there.

And - completely out on a limb here - if a few, admittedly big, boxes are ticked in the next couple of years, Sehwag could well make it in future installments of this endeavour. He has completely redefined opening in tests, and the effects of this are still to be realised and appreciated fully.
    Last edited by hang on; 11-02-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Kallis & Imran bump Richards & Warne for mine (assuming of course Wisden mean exclusively "Test players" here).

In no particular order;

Bradman
    Sobers
    Hobbs
    Imran
    Kallis

Top 5 from 2000-present:

Tendulkar
    Kallis
    Muralitharan
    Gilchrist
    McGrath

Qualification criteria set by me is that a player should have played cricket for at least 7 years in this decade.

Bradman
    Imran
    Sobers
    Hadlee
    Miller
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

State Vice-Captain
    zinzan,

not sure that it was only test cricket that was covered. not that it really matters. the true greats were pretty good in all forms of the game.

Imran
    Hadlee
    Marshall
    Miller
    Larwood
    'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

vcs
    Bradman
    Sobers
    Imran
    Marshall
    Murali

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I see no need to change the original 5. Gilchrist and Tendulkar are all time greats, but hey dont quite touch the original 5.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcheek View Post
    I see no need to change the original 5. Gilchrist and Tendulkar are all time greats, but hey dont quite touch the original 5.
    I think that Imran definitely has a strong case to touch and overtake at least 3 of the original 5. Also Tendulkar has one of the most complete records of all test batsmen in the history of the game so he does definitely touch the original 5.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I think that Imran definitely has a strong case to touch and overtake at least 3 of the original 5. Also Tendulkar has one of the most complete records of all test batsmen in the history of the game so he does definitely touch the original 5.
    Tendulkar is VERY close. Maybe if he guides India to World Cup victory, it will push him into the 5 at the expense of Sobers.
    Imran I just cant see. Great player (and leader) though he was, he is nowhere near the top 5 of the century.

Why keep looking at the last century? Been ten years since it has passed us by. Its time for other guys to be in focus now for all time contention. It felt good to know stuff about pre war and post war cricketers when I started reading about them at first but they are just words to me now as good as they may be. Time to move on imo.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information