• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vale Trevor Bailey

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BBC reporting that former England great and TMS commentator Trevor "Barnacle" Bailey has passed away in a house fire aged 87.

RIP to a fine cricketer and character.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
RIP to the man who had to rely on Wisden to remember his wife's birthday every year

I think that's just Reg Simpson, Bob Appleyard and The Typhoon left of Hutton's Ashes winners - a sobering thought

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Terrible way to go and my thoughts are with his wife. A solid cricketer and epitomised the 'officer class' that many could admire. RIP

andyc

Yeah, no way to go. Well before my time, but obviously a great player and a lover and contributer to the game. RIP.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Saw it on my local news over tea. Great servant to English cricket and Essex in particular.

His clipped, patrician tones were a fixture on TMS for most of my childhood. Sad loss and an awful way for a long life to end. RIP.

HeathDavisSpeed

Oh no! Not the Barnacle! What a legend, and what a horrible demise. A hero for any fan of Essex and more entertaining in the commentary box than on the field of play in many ways.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was Bailey, wasn't it, who played for a University XI in 1948 against the Invincibles then backed up for his county the next day? That day being when Australia piled on 700 in a day? I seem to recall him saying in commentary that he only played against the Don twice, and "he hit all my bad balls for four, and most of the good ones too"!

Quite a character. Horrible way to go.

Craig

World Traveller
RIP to his friends and family :ph34r:

But seriously, he will be missed. As a cricketer, I'm sure he would get the irony for dying at the age of 87.

Last edited:

fredfertang

It was Bailey, wasn't it, who played for a University XI in 1948 against the Invincibles then backed up for his county the next day? That day being when Australia piled on 700 in a day? I seem to recall him saying in commentary that he only played against the Don twice, and "he hit all my bad balls for four, and most of the good ones too"!

Quite a character. Horrible way to go.
Essex were the only side to bowl the Invincibles out inside a day - for 721 - this was the game when Keith Miller came in at 4 or 5 by which time the score was already around 400 - he couldn't be arsed with batting so he let Bailey bowl him for a duck - he always complained that Bailey never returned the favour

HeathDavisSpeed

Still gutted about this. Craig's ninja post not helping. I'll push over a cyclist later today in way of compensation.

L Trumper

State Regular
RIP the barnacle.
Any one going to write some kind of profile/obituary for the great man? So many anecdotes!