• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vale Trevor Bailey

archie mac

International Coach
I was going to try and find the story by Jack Fingleton about TB where the slow Bailey took up the challenge and hit a couple of sixes because JF had offered money but I can't remember which book it is in:wacko:

Anyway I think JF managed to avoid paying:unsure:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
RIP. A terrible way for a life to end.

I love reading the articles on Bailey in the 40's and 50's describing his stonewalling efforts to save games.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I was going to try and find the story by Jack Fingleton about TB where the slow Bailey took up the challenge and hit a couple of sixes because JF had offered money but I can't remember which book it is in:wacko:

In the link in GF's post Trevor himself mentions what might be the incident:

In Brisbane, in 1954-55, I stepped in with England on 25 for 4, chasing Australia's 601. I stonewalled for 38 in 160 minutes. That evening I came to know that an Australian businessman had placed a $100 bet on the first Englishman to clear the fence. The next morning I duly hit Ian Johnson for only the second six of my Test career, and immediately returned to my shell. I spent the money throwing a party at the hotel, which somewhat lessened the pain of a heavy defeat.

Fingleton not named, but whoever the "Australian businessman" was he seems to have paid up his dues.

archie mac

International Coach

In Brisbane, in 1954-55, I stepped in with England on 25 for 4, chasing Australia's 601. I stonewalled for 38 in 160 minutes. That evening I came to know that an Australian businessman had placed a $100 bet on the first Englishman to clear the fence. The next morning I duly hit Ian Johnson for only the second six of my Test career, and immediately returned to my shell. I spent the money throwing a party at the hotel, which somewhat lessened the pain of a heavy defeat.

Fingleton not named, but whoever the "Australian businessman" was he seems to have paid up his dues.
You're right Brumbers - full obituary to go up on features tomorrow
That must be it, no wonder I could not find it in Fingo books:wacko:

archie mac

International Coach

Not that I am anal retentive but I checked all of my Fingleton books until I found the one I was looking for:wacko: He never seems to supply an index:@

Before the start of the second Test Fingo chided Bailey about his slow scoring in the first Test where he had spent 458 mins in scoring 68.

He offered Bailey 100 pounds if he could hit a six on the morrow. Fingo became a bit worried as Bailey seemed to be trying to hit a straight six down the ground and was relieved when he was dismissed for 48 in 151 mins.

Talking to Bailey on the phone that night Fingo wrote "the bet, of course, applied only to the first innings. Yes, he understood that. I thought it best to make the point clear, although my newspapers would have considered 100 pounds well spent if Bailey hit a six."

Page 66 Four Chukkas to Australia. published in 1959

PS in the whole 5 Test series only one six was hit by England, that by Trueman:)