• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better Test Batsman::: A Border vs. S Waugh

Better Test match batsman?

• Total voters

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Border. Though its not by a mile, the more I think about it the closer it gets. A couple of spectacular innings by Waugh make it very close for me ( 200 v WI, twin tons in 1997- especially day one, 160 vs SA in 1997, the 98 in Pakistan 1994).

Debris

International 12th Man
Have to go with Border due to the pitch conditions he batted under, plus he was under enormous pressure for a lot of his career.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I tend to rate the one-man army sorta batsmen higher than similarly great batsmen who had others to help around them.. So going with AB here..

smash84

The Tiger King
SR Waugh's record against Pak is quite ordinary. AB is not that hot against WI but the WI team of the border era was probably the greatest team in the history of the game.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
SR Waugh's record against Pak is quite ordinary. AB is not that hot against WI but the WI team of the border era was probably the greatest team in the history of the game.
Border's record in the West Indies is superb. Whether his home struggles were down to pitches like Perth suiting the WI quicks more than their home turf, or because he faced better attacks when the West Indies toured I don't know.

Tough thread. I'm going for Border purely on the basis that I think he's ridiculously under-appreciated as a great of the game because as Burgey (I think it was him) said, he only had 3 shots. But you don't walk away from the game with the superb, almost flawless record Border has without being a bloody good batsman.

I know captaincy isn't supposed to come into it, but his decision to bat into the 3rd day in one of the 1993 Ashes Tests gets him some grudging kudos points from me. Talk about grinding the opposition into the dirt and then stamping on their heads while they're down there - Border probably helped scar an entire generation of England players in Ashes Tests.