• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Schoolboy talents, the next generation

Fred Jr

Cricket Spectator
Anyone got any inside stories on the latest schoolboy geniuses (genii?) around world cricket? I myself am 16 and playing regular school cricket, and ever since I read the story on Wisden schools about the Tendulkar/Kambli partnership at the age of 12 (664* fro those who don't know) I've been interested by stories of incredible school games or talents.

A couple of youngsters I've heard about are a 13 year old batsman who was mentioned in the Times today for breaking the Cowdrey brothers' record of 11 centuries in a season for a Kent Schools team. His name is Sam Northeast, sounds like one for the future.

And there is hope for England spin bowling yet - William Beer, a 14 year old leggie from Horsham, Sussex, who plays for England at U15 level or so I've heard, played against my school 1st XI (who are a good side) in June and took 5-19 from 16 overs on a pretty bad wicket for spin bowling - only 7 wickets had been taken by spinners in the 11 previous matches on it that season.

Anyone else heard of special school talents anywhere in the world?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Can't comment on schools cricket as I'm not in possession of several thousand pounds a year :P

However the club scene in North Lincolnshire looks strong.

At U13 level we had a wicketkeeper take 5 stumpings in a 20-over game and a leg spinner take 6/15 off 4 overs in a defeat.

We also have a 9 year old who bowls around 70kmh and took 7/4 against Brigg in the U11 league. Which must have been funny. He also took plenty for the U13s, 2 in 3 overs for U15s and several for the Midweek XI.

And I quite fancy sticking a tenner on him getting an England cap one day.

There's also an 18-year old at Cleethorpes who hit 298* in a 40 over Sunday League game the other week.

chris.hinton

International Captain
i dont no none really but there are good young talents at my cricket club. But remember you can be excllent as a youth but never make it. I would not go over the top over a excellent 13 year old? as by 18 he could be finished

William Beer is also at the Terry Jenner Wrist Spin programme

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
ok
kents youngsters are topclass...

1 pacemen bolws upto 72mph [yes miles] and hes 15..gonna be 16 this year..
and 3 batsman who have scored plenty of tons in 20 over games
and me! but the players are of real quality, the bowling apart from the pace man is a bit plain but thebatting lineup looks strong, i am defintely toipping one of my mates for a callup..he has a lot of natural talent, a good cricketing brain and very hardworking

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chris.hinton said:
But remember you can be excllent as a youth but never make it. I would not go over the top over a excellent 13 year old? as by 18 he could be finished
I'm fully aware of that :P

What about the 100s of leg spinners who should be in the county championship but aren't given a chance? :P

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
Can't comment on schools cricket as I'm not in possession of several thousand pounds a year :P
OOh Neil, was that one aimed at me?? :P

I dont think the scene down at Somerset is too strong at all... Im not really county standard, but i seem to be able to hold my own against them when I practice.. I remember making one "top" batsman look absolutely daft when he was batting against me, and im confident that i wont get a look into Somersets setup, so that gives you a measure of the lack of talent about...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sorry Gibbsy, but the fact they score tons in school cricket means absolutely nothing since the opposition will not be of any standard worthy of mentioning.

I don't think that there is anyone who hasn't played FC Cricket that can be called class for certain - they have potential, but then again so do thousands of others.

Cloete

International Captain
a kid at the age of 9 here in aus hit 350*. i dno it was somewhere in the mid 300's.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But remember you can be excllent as a youth but never make it. I would not go over the top over a excellent 13 year old? as by 18 he could be finished
Living, breathing example right here! I was playing cricket heaps when I was 13 and by 18, I wasn't playing at all!

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I think you got that one all wrong Top_Cat, the topic was about playing "excellent" cricket at a young age, not just heaps... ;)

Just kidding ofcourse :)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think you got that one all wrong Top_Cat, the topic was about playing "excellent" cricket at a young age, not just heaps...

Just kidding ofcourse.
If we ever meet, you're going to be on the recieving end of the quickest bouncer you ever faced, buddy! :D

Possibly several. ;) We'll see. By the time we meet, we could be in our 70's so maybe I'll struggle to move my arm above shoulder height but I tell ya, my grandson is going to give you the bouncing of a lifetime!!!!!

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
So that means I bring my helmet with me when I come to meet you :) Just make sure there are no glass windows next to the ground we play in ;)

barmyarmy

U19 Captain
Watch out for Sam Northeast, 13, currently playing in Kent. He set a new record of 11 centuries in 19 innings (including 13 not outs). He averages 291 for his school, Wellesley House.
I believe he'll be at Harrow this year so Middx may yet poach him...

Last edited:

Fred Jr

Cricket Spectator
Can't comment on schools cricket as I'm not in possession of several thousand pounds a year

on behalf of myself, hey! im not actually part of the "independent sector" - my school is one of those that determines the fees you pay by the amount you earn. one of very few in the country, and we churned out the wisden young all rounder of the year last year so you may have heard of us, Christ's Hospital. I'm not a member of one of those families that can afford several thousand pounds a year, so you and me are in the same boat buddy! I know how lucky I am, if you want a good education for your kids send em here, im serious. cheap, great people, lots of history (the place is 450 years old for gods sake). the better alternative to poncey private schools :P apologies to any private educees (?)! how much am i owed by my school for that do you think? ::lol:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Fred Jr said:
on behalf of myself, hey! im not actually part of the "independent sector" - my school is one of those that determines the fees you pay by the amount you earn. one of very few in the country, and we churned out the wisden young all rounder of the year last year so you may have heard of us, Christ's Hospital. I'm not a member of one of those families that can afford several thousand pounds a year, so you and me are in the same boat buddy! I know how lucky I am, if you want a good education for your kids send em here, im serious. cheap, great people, lots of history (the place is 450 years old for gods sake). the better alternative to poncey private schools :P apologies to any private educees (?)! how much am i owed by my school for that do you think? ::lol:
My problem is the stripping of resources and the impoverishment of the state sector.

And the list of independent schools I can think of is... Eton, Harrow, erm, that's it.

I'm more than happy with my 372-year-old state school, thanks :P

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
My problem is the stripping of resources and the impoverishment of the state sector.
We dont strip you of any resources, in fact we do you a great favour by having to pay towards state education, even though we arent using it...