• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Schoolboy talents, the next generation

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Weekdays- 25 per side with bowling restrictions.

Saturday - Time cricket (4.5 hrs total which generally gives about 35-45 overs per team) with no restrictions on bowlers apart from the fact that seamers cannot bowl spells greater than 4 overs at a time due to tiredness.

With the rule you mention. Why not go the whole hog and say if a bowler takes 2 wickets then he cannot bowl for lets say another 5 overs in order to prevent 1 guy running through a team. In all seriousness it seems strange to target quality batsmen without doing the same for the bowlers.

Im relating to my upbringing which was always based around playing hard. I remember in Junior football scoring 10 in a game and 9 twice in games we won upto 26-0 and never hearing any problems about that.

Successful athletes need to be taught good habits early and playing hard and wanting success is one of those.

Oh, and before I sound too clinical I have never gone out to grind an opponent into the ground, but if it happened then I have no problem with it. I do rotate my batting line-up and give different guys a chance to bowl but I also expect them to apply themselves and work hard to achieve success. I also change things around against weaker teams. I was so proud of a boy last year who having batted 9,10 Jack nearly all season was promoted to open and got 65* in the last game of the year. As a coach you cannot put a value on things like that.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The only games we play at this level are 20-over-a-side against very mixed abilities. One game last season we posted 168 for 2 and then bowled the opposition out for 33 (28 extras). We're back there tomorrow morning (with a weaker side admittedly).

I can see your points, but I don't see what's to be gained at this low level by having games dominated - generally it's cannon fodder attacks for anyone who's any cop whatsoever, and I don't believe it does them any good to heave 20mph long hops over midwicket for 20 overs.

The better kids get selected for Inter-District games (40-50 overs per side with no restrictions bar overs limits of one-fifth), and we arrange games of similar rules in between the stronger club sides, and I couldn't imagine a need for retirement or postional regulation in that form of the game... but for very low-level stuff, it hurts more than it gains.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
but for very low-level stuff, it hurts more than it gains.
A distinction must be made.

Is it a social game where the primary focus is giving kids of mixed ability an opportunity to play the game and keep their interest levels high? If it is then I fully support the rules mentioned.

However, if it is in a league where there are points and competition then that is no place for trying to handicap teams with 1 or 2 very good players and I would question the wisdom of having weak teams in a league when they would benefit more from friendly fixtures.

Langeveldt

Soutie
aussie said:
i heard in school for the under-15 competiton that the ECB have introduced a new rule batsmen reaching 50 runs must retire with no return to the crease if the side is all out.
:wacko:
haha, yeah typical of a country where kids aren't allowed to lose incase they feel bad. Kind of ironic when you think it would be good practice for their later life..

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I'm not knocking the retire at 50 rule, we play it in our league cricket, but on Sunday I've heard one of the batsman in our league made his fifty and retired, and then came back in when his team was nine down and smashed a hundred, keeping the strike off the number 11.

Pretty impressive at under 15 level, his team put up over 220 in 25 overs.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
haha, yeah typical of a country where kids aren't allowed to lose incase they feel bad. Kind of ironic when you think it would be good practice for their later life..
"In a way, you are both winners,"

"In another, more accurate, way, Barney is the winner."