• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Schoolboy talents, the next generation

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i heard in school for the under-15 competiton that the ECB have introduced a new rule batsmen reaching 50 runs must retire with no return to the crease if the side is all out.
:wacko:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
i heard in school for the under-15 competiton that the ECB have introduced a new rule batsmen reaching 50 runs must retire with no return to the crease if the side is all out.
Sounds typical of this country really - I'd imagine that sort of thing would be very rare in somewhere like Australia...

open365

International Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Sounds typical of this country really - I'd imagine that sort of thing would be very rare in somewhere like Australia...
I may be wrong, but didn't Australia outlaw club cricketers form hitting 6s because they broke too many car windows?

Or is that just daily mail crap?

barmyarmy

U19 Captain
open365 said:
I may be wrong, but didn't Australia outlaw club cricketers form hitting 6s because they broke too many car windows?

Sounds like Sunday Sport crap!

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
barmyarmy said:
Sounds like Sunday Sport crap!
Cricket in the Sunday Sport, well I never, might have to consider buying it. Heard you get a free DVD with it every Sunday as well, wonder what that's all about...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
aussie said:
You are allowed to return to the crease. The cutoff is 30 at U13 level.

And I don't see what's wrong with it - it's a team competition; I don't want our hopes being ended by a one-wonderboy outfit when we have 8 or 9 strong players.

Chubb

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
You are allowed to return to the crease. The cutoff is 30 at U13 level.

And I don't see what's wrong with it - it's a team competition; I don't want our hopes being ended by a one-wonderboy outfit when we have 8 or 9 strong players.
As a former member of a one-wonderboy outfit, I resent that. Every time I look at my East Devon U17 Knockout Cup Runners Up medal I thank fate Dom Shillabeer happened to go to the same college as our captain. Thanks to him we went overnight from being wooden spooners who didn't win a game all 2003season into a side capable of challenging Kentisbeare and Exmouth. We missed out on second place in the league in 2004 by .06 of a point. Shillabeer averaged 6 with the ball. His worst figures were 4-15, and he scored two fifties.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Chubb said:
As a former member of a one-wonderboy outfit, I resent that. Every time I look at my East Devon U17 Knockout Cup Runners Up medal I thank fate Dom Shillabeer happened to go to the same college as our captain. Thanks to him we went overnight from being wooden spooners who didn't win a game all 2003season into a side capable of challenging Kentisbeare and Exmouth. We missed out on second place in the league in 2004 by .06 of a point. Shillabeer averaged 6 with the ball. His worst figures were 4-15, and he scored two fifties.
I think my point stands

Chubb

International Regular
Well, your team is drawn from a city, ours was from a tiny village. It was our only chance of any kind of success. It may seem unfair, I'm sure it does from your viewpoint, but it was literally the only period of colts success Upottery have ever had. He totally carried us. The only game he didn't play we got smashed for 172 by Ottery and then got castled for 46.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I wasn't specifically talking about Exeter - I don't see why a kids competiton should be winnable through a one-boy outfit. A team able to play throughout the order deserves it much more.

Chubb

International Regular
Of course. I'm just offering the other perspective, seeing as I've been there.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
I wasn't specifically talking about Exeter - I don't see why a kids competiton should be winnable through a one-boy outfit. A team able to play throughout the order deserves it much more.
I've seen it too many times - one decent player smashes the bowling around, and scores 70% of a huge score. Big problems. I think too many people are put off junior cricket by the fact that often, in your average club, the better batsmen are the better bowlers, and as many as half the team are there to make up the numbers.

PY

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
I'm sorry you had to sit in my shadow at school Neil, I feel bad about it all the time.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
OK, there's no easy way to say this, but, umm.....it appears Fred Jr is actually me. :blink:

I remembered logging on and posting in a cricket forum a few years ago, before I started posting regularly on CW - looks like I didn't realise that the forum I'd been posting on was actually CW itself! I logged on as Barney Rubble having not known I already had a username - hopefully James will find it in his heart to delete the old account and not ban me for having multiple accounts. Sorry. :wacko: :ph34r:
Is anyone else concerned by BR's Flintstone Fetish?

James, check the database for any usernames like Bambam, Wilma or Pebbles.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
open365 said:

That was my club ground - I live next door to it. It's ridiculously small - I'm talking like a 35m straight boundary to both ends, and at one end of the ground there is a massive drop. So houses just get peppered by cricket balls. They made a complaint, so there was a season where sixes resulted in a dead ball, and (in the 3rds and 4ths teams) if it was repeated, then there was a 5 run penalty! This was only to one end of the ground.

In most local underage competitions in Australia, there is a retiring point for batsmen. However, for state championships and above that, there is no retiring points.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Voltman said:
Is anyone else concerned by BR's Flintstone Fetish?

James, check the database for any usernames like Bambam, Wilma or Pebbles.
:laugh: They're both Flintoff-inspired, actually. And you're the one who remembered the names of all the other characters. :p

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
That was my club ground - I live next door to it. It's ridiculously small - I'm talking like a 35m straight boundary to both ends, and at one end of the ground there is a massive drop. So houses just get peppered by cricket balls. They made a complaint, so there was a season where sixes resulted in a dead ball, and (in the 3rds and 4ths teams) if it was repeated, then there was a 5 run penalty! This was only to one end of the ground.

In most local underage competitions in Australia, there is a retiring point for batsmen. However, for state championships and above that, there is no retiring points.
I think the whole retire thing stops at like u14's or u15.s I remember in a rep game some guy scored 200* against us..How embarrassing