• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Schoolboy talents, the next generation

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
We dont strip you of any resources, in fact we do you a great favour by having to pay towards state education, even though we arent using it...
Add Private Resources to State Resources, share evenly, much better.

Fred Jr

Cricket Spectator
hey maybe we should all start a website for discussion about schools, could do pretty well :P can we get back to cricket please? ok, it doesnt have to be school cricket specifically, im talking players of 17-18 or younger who most people wouldnt know about thats all. lets leave the schools thing alone shall we, partly cos i cant work out whose being friendly and who was slightly offended by what i said! :P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:
One for all and all for one eh Neil?
Absolutely.

Originally posted by Fred Jr
lets leave the schools thing alone shall we, partly cos i cant work out whose being friendly and who was slightly offended by what i said!
Don't worry about it, takes much more than that to offend me :P

From scouring the ECC (European Cricket Council) website I've noticed that Holland have a very good U13 named Alexei Kervezee.

Then, there's that South African girl who scored 200+ or whatever. I remember that story being greeted with more than a touch of scepticism..

Last edited:

barmyarmy

U19 Captain
barmyarmy said:
Watch out for Sam Northeast, 13, currently playing in Kent. He set a new record of 11 centuries in 19 innings (including 13 not outs). He averages 291 for his school, Wellesley House.
I believe he'll be at Harrow this year so Middx may yet poach him...
Just thought I'd bump this post from nearly three years ago in light of this article on Cricinfo!. I haven't actually seen Sam since I met him that summer but it seems like he's doing really well. Anyone on here know him?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
James patanak.
Hayward

edit: Not exactly sure of the spelling.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
barmyarmy said:
Just thought I'd bump this post from nearly three years ago in light of this article on Cricinfo!. I haven't actually seen Sam since I met him that summer but it seems like he's doing really well. Anyone on here know him?
Sounds like somebody very special indeed and he must have some ability after scoring runs against guys who have international experience. I know anything can happen and he flop, but I hope not and hope he does well.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Fred Jr said:
Anyone got any inside stories on the latest schoolboy geniuses (genii?) around world cricket? I myself am 16 and playing regular school cricket, and ever since I read the story on Wisden schools about the Tendulkar/Kambli partnership at the age of 12 (664* fro those who don't know) I've been interested by stories of incredible school games or talents.

A couple of youngsters I've heard about are a 13 year old batsman who was mentioned in the Times today for breaking the Cowdrey brothers' record of 11 centuries in a season for a Kent Schools team. His name is Sam Northeast, sounds like one for the future.

And there is hope for England spin bowling yet - William Beer, a 14 year old leggie from Horsham, Sussex, who plays for England at U15 level or so I've heard, played against my school 1st XI (who are a good side) in June and took 5-19 from 16 overs on a pretty bad wicket for spin bowling - only 7 wickets had been taken by spinners in the 11 previous matches on it that season.

Anyone else heard of special school talents anywhere in the world?
OK, there's no easy way to say this, but, umm.....it appears Fred Jr is actually me. :blink:

I remembered logging on and posting in a cricket forum a few years ago, before I started posting regularly on CW - looks like I didn't realise that the forum I'd been posting on was actually CW itself! I logged on as Barney Rubble having not known I already had a username - hopefully James will find it in his heart to delete the old account and not ban me for having multiple accounts. Sorry. :wacko: :ph34r:

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
hopefully James will find it in his heart to delete the old account and not ban me for having multiple accounts. Sorry. :wacko: :ph34r:
Ban him! Ban him! Ban him! Ban him! Ban him!

open365

International Vice-Captain
Sam Northeast is 16 isn't he?

I've met a few Lancashire hopefulls but no one really special. There was a off-spinner who played against me for Salford who came in at 6, faced 16 balls, 13 of which were boundaries, and he isn't even a batsman(yes, he got me out).

barmyarmy

U19 Captain
open365 said:
Sam Northeast is 16 isn't he?

I've met a few Lancashire hopefulls but no one really special. There was a off-spinner who played against me for Salford who came in at 6, faced 16 balls, 13 of which were boundaries, and he isn't even a batsman(yes, he got me out).
Yup, now he is. I bumped the thread cos of the cricinfo article. Didn't know I would open such a can of worms with staff members account faking! :p

cpr

International Coach
steds said:
Ban him! Ban him! Ban him! Ban him! Ban him!
Why when i read that did i suddenly get Monty Python images in my head.

"She's a witch! Burn her!!!!"

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well my frend John Simpson who played in the recent Under-19 WC for England when he played school cricket a few years ago had great reviews, with many touting him as a future england keeper.

Others blokes like Bharat Tripathi, Ashling & Brown are other very talented young cricketer in this area

The under -17 school cricket & the nationa under-15 competition in the various counties beings within the next month, so look out..