• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jayasuriya v Ponting in odi as cricketers

Asinine thread.SJs average is 32 compared to Ricks 45 odd.Ricky has 3 WCs to his name to SJs 1 and captained in 2 of them.Much better fielder also.No contest tbh.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Jaya was the better ODI cricketer. Average wasn’t great but the SR was, particularly when Jaya was going at 90+ in an era where most international openers were struggling to go above 70. Chuck in 300+ wickets also and you have a ODI great. Strange versus thread mind...

Julian87

State Captain
Ponting comfortably when you consider the fielding and captaincy. The batting is a no contest.

Yeah Jaya took a lot of wickets but I don't think his bowling was strong enough to tip the scale.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Dont forget Ponting's quite insane fielding, he must have run out more batsmen with direct hits then anyone in the history of cricket, amazing accuracy.

Mike5181

International Captain
Both great players. Personally if i were to choose either Jayasuria or Ponting it would be the latter. You could build a whole team around this guy and he could lead it.

smash84

The Tiger King
Jayasuriya's fielding was good too which is why i only included Ponting's captaincy in the equation.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both great players. Personally if i were to choose either Jayasuria or Ponting it would be the latter. You could build a whole team around this guy and he could lead it.
This.. pretty close, but Ponting for me. Top 5 ODI batsman of all time, and one of the best ODI captains and fielders of all time. Both top 10 ODI cricketers of all time IMO.