• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jayasuriya v Ponting in odi as cricketers

Howe_zat

Audio File
Frankly alarming amount of certainty in this thread.

Both in the top 10 of all time, both outside the top 5.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I seriously beg to differ.. There were many better, including some from Asia itself... He is a great fielder, I am not denying that but I am just saying the difference between a great and a good fielder does not compensate completely for the benefits that are given to the side by Jaya's bowling.. For the record, I am going with Ponting in this debate, but I believe Jayasuriya is being massively undersold in this thread by some..
Really, like who?

I agree with GF's list of the top fielders. Outside that the difference in class is evident. Ponting is a much better fielder than Sanath; and that's not to say the latter was poor - he was pretty good - but that's just how it is.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
As expected, horror of horror, GF has not seen Mahanama, who is close in the ring with his catching and beats them hands down in the outfield catches perhaps with exception of Symonds, best outfield catcher I've seen). So it is very easy not to recognize Jayasuriya's fielding abilities, which was in it's peak in early nineties where TV coverage was scarce.

Mahanama, Chandana, Kalapage and Jayasuriya all are way better than Dilshan as fielders at their peak. That will give an idea how good was above players in the field.
I had forgotten about Mahanama. He was awesome inside the ring. Some of the blinders that he took were unbelievable. Chandana also a wonderful fielder.

smash84

The Tiger King
Really, like who?

I agree with GF's list of the top fielders. Outside that the difference in class is evident. Ponting is a much better fielder than Sanath; and that's not to say the latter was poor - he was pretty good - but that's just how it is.
Mark Waugh says helloooo..........was better than Ponting in the slips and gully region. One of The safest pair of hands ever.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Mark Waugh says helloooo..........was better than Ponting in the slips and gully region. One of The safest pair of hands ever.
I was interested in many of the Asian fielders HB claimed were better than Ponting. Waugh was a fine slip fielder but as an overall fielder Ponting is superior. The only Aussie I've seen that I could say was better than him was Symonds, and even then it's a debate. Ponting was so good he made amazing stuff seem easy.

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
I can understand fielding being a remarkable enough factor to be considered when comparing someone like Munaf Patel to Ponting, considering the former is as **** on the field as the latter is brilliant. But fielding, that too the standard of individual fielding, is not that huge enough when comparing someone like Jayasurya with Ponting, to be any sort of clinching factor in a comparison as ODI cricketers. Jayasurya in his peak was safe and dropped few catches. He may not have scored as many run outs in spectacular fashion as Ponting, but unless we are talking about Ponting good enough to have effected 2-3 such brilliant dismissals in every match, the comparison holds no water imho to Jaya's superior skill with the ball.

Numbers sometimes do not say the entire story. Jaya's story is one of such. The raw impact he created with his willow was huge. Matches were almost singlehandedly won. Oppositions dismantled like anyone's business.

Bun

Banned
I was interested in many of the Asian fielders HB claimed were better than Ponting. Waugh was a fine slip fielder but as an overall fielder Ponting is superior. The only Aussie I've seen that I could say was better than him was Symonds, and even then it's a debate. Ponting was so good he made amazing stuff seem easy.
Eknath Solkar
Yuvraj Singh (before he became a fat ****)
Mohammad Kaif (still continues to be agile, but is rubbish with the bat)
Dilshan (lightning quick, and pretty accurate as well)
Imran Nazir

maybe not "better" than Ponting, but can give any great fielder good competition.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Robin Singh was a very good fielder IMO.. better than the Kaifs and Yuvrajs. Kohli looks like a good prospect in the field going forward.

Bun

Banned
Robin Singh was a very good fielder IMO.. better than the Kaifs and Yuvrajs. Kohli looks like a good prospect in the field going forward.
Yes, he missed his best years but was still one of the world's best even into mid 30s iirc.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I claimed they were better in running out people.. As overall fielders, I already said Ponting was better.. If you really do need, I will tell the run out ratios of blokes like Azhar and Raina stand out among the Indians.. Mahanama was pretty awesome and so was Chandana, in fact quite a few of SL are good fielders, they were perhaps the first SC nation to lay such a great emphasis on fielding.. Not sure of fielders from Pakistan but I heard a bit about Javed in his day.