• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jayasuriya v Ponting in odi as cricketers

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting comfortably when you consider the fielding and captaincy. The batting is a no contest.

Yeah Jaya took a lot of wickets but I don't think his bowling was strong enough to tip the scale.
Jayasuriya is a very successful ODI captain too. Ponting is nowhere "comfortably" better than Jaya in the field, and Jaya was one of the best fielders in the world in early to late 90s. Ponting's captaining is not a strong contention because even Boycs' grandma would have captained that Aussie team in to wins.

As a batsman, Ponting. As a player Jayasuriya.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Always thought it was Kalu who was the one who started it, in 1995. Jayasuriya took a backseat for while until he finally cut loose in that WC. Kalu was brilliant in 1995/96 in Australia, left Sanath in the dust.
Nah, Jaya was used in this mode in as early as 1993. I can remember in 1994 he was used at #3 to counter Wasim and Abdul Qadir (who was making a return IIRC). He smashed all of them to all the corners. Kalu was promoted there because he was a very good player of short bowling, where Mahanama was found wanting against.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Jayasuriya is a very successful ODI captain too. Ponting is nowhere "comfortably" better than Jaya in the field, and Jaya was one of the best fielders in the world in early to late 90s. Ponting's captaining is not a strong contention because even Boycs' grandma would have captained that Aussie team in to wins.

As a batsman, Ponting. As a player Jayasuriya.
Yes Ponting is comfortably better in the feild.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I really wonder how much emphasis you guys place on a strong arm.. I would think, Aussies, of all people would appreciate the value of rocket throws being just as important as the ability to anticipate and dive around.. And as catchers, I don't really see any reason why Ponting should be considered better than Jayasuriya...
Are you trying to suggest Jayasuriya had a better arm than Ponting?:unsure::wacko:

Pontings arm is dynomite

Spark

Global Moderator
There was a period in 09 recently where Ponting was running out a batsman with direct hits almost every other match. It was insane.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Are you trying to suggest Jayasuriya had a better arm than Ponting?:unsure::wacko: Pontings arm is dynomite
From outfield Jaya has a case, yes. Jayasuriya had a rocket throw from outfield before his injury. But Ponting's throw is arguably better because it was on target. But if you just consider just the speed of throw, Jaya has an insanely quick, flat throw even from longest boundaries.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, he's better utilized at clode fields. Like wise, Jaya was used at shortfinelg when Murali was bowling. Has taken some blinders out there off Murali.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was watching highlights of Aus-NZ from WC '96 and Ponting was in the outfield. Even dropped a catch off Harris. Australia dropped a fair few catches in that game.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If we're talking purely about fielding, Ponting has very few equals. There's no-one I've seen who is quite clearly better than Ponting in the ring. Ponting, Rhodes, Gibbs, de Villiers and Symonds are probably the top 5 ring fielders I've seen in ODIs, and it's a long way down to the likes of Collingwood from there.

smash84

The Tiger King
If we're talking purely about fielding, Ponting has very few equals. There's no-one I've seen who is quite clearly better than Ponting in the ring. Ponting, Rhodes, Gibbs, de Villiers and Symonds are probably the top 5 ring fielders I've seen in ODIs, and it's a long way down to the likes of Collingwood from there.
I would take Mark Waugh over Ponting if you include slips or gully "in the ring".

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
ponting is/was CLEARLY the better catcher.

As far as inflicting run-outs is concerned, IMO ponting had/has no superior .
Nah.. There is no conclusive way to prove that.. Jayasuriya was in the outfield more often than not, so he did not have the same opportunities Punter had in the infield, doesn't mean all those high balls he would have taken or the run forward and takes were easy...

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
As expected, horror of horror, GF has not seen Mahanama, who is close in the ring with his catching and beats them hands down in the outfield catches perhaps with exception of Symonds, best outfield catcher I've seen). So it is very easy not to recognize Jayasuriya's fielding abilities, which was in it's peak in early nineties where TV coverage was scarce.

Mahanama, Chandana, Kalapage and Jayasuriya all are way better than Dilshan as fielders at their peak. That will give an idea how good was above players in the field.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
ponting is/was CLEARLY the better catcher.

As far as inflicting run-outs is concerned, IMO ponting had/has no superior .
I seriously beg to differ.. There were many better, including some from Asia itself... He is a great fielder, I am not denying that but I am just saying the difference between a great and a good fielder does not compensate completely for the benefits that are given to the side by Jaya's bowling.. For the record, I am going with Ponting in this debate, but I believe Jayasuriya is being massively undersold in this thread by some..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Are you trying to suggest Jayasuriya had a better arm than Ponting?:unsure::wacko:

Pontings arm is dynomite
And how many times did you watch Jayasuriya? And when was the last time Ponting consistently fielded in the outfield? You gotta trust the guys who have seen some cricket in the early 90s sometimes.. :dry: