• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jayasuriya v Ponting in odi as cricketers

salman85

International Debutant
Jayasuriya.

For me,he will always be the one who revolutionaized ODI batting.There were others who did the same thing before and after his time,but none did it better than an inform Sanath.You knew that after the 1996WC,the first 15 overs of a match would never be the same.That has to be credit to him,more than anyone else.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Always thought it was Kalu who was the one who started it, in 1995. Jayasuriya took a backseat for while until he finally cut loose in that WC. Kalu was brilliant in 1995/96 in Australia, left Sanath in the dust.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah same. Do remember Jayasuriya being touted in the early days as a decent hitter but more in the fashion of a bloke who could do it in the happy hour rather than the first 15. Reckon they realised after a while he was more useful going for broke following Kalu's lead with DeSilva/Ranatunga/Mahanama pushing the score past 300 with minimal risk.

Brilliant tactics but they fortunately had the players to pull it off too.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Jayasuriya.

For me,he will always be the one who revolutionaized ODI batting.There were others who did the same thing before and after his time,but none did it better than an inform Sanath.You knew that after the 1996WC,the first 15 overs of a match would never be the same.That has to be credit to him,more than anyone else.
It's also interesting to note how huge a step was Jayasuriya's aggressive batting in 96 WC for SL cricket. They became a world beater from a minnow overnight! I remember how I though of SL before and after the 96 world cup was poles apart. I know there were others who deserve credit for that transformation. Arguably, De Silva's contribution was even bigger in SL's WC campaign. But it was Jayasuriya's destructive batting that left an enduring image in everyone's mind.

Bun

Banned
Jayasurya by a mile is the better cricketer. I think he started out as a bowler and became one of the best one day batsmen for a brief period even. His record since moving up the order is pretty good and add to that those wickets at a good eco rate and a bullet throw from the outfield and you've almost the complete ODI allrounder.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jayasurya by a mile is the better cricketer. I think he started out as a bowler and became one of the best one day batsmen for a brief period even. His record since moving up the order is pretty good and add to that those wickets at a good eco rate and a bullet throw from the outfield and you've almost the complete ODI allrounder.
This.. But Ponting is very much an all timer too, as a batsman and a fielder and while I don't really think his ODI captaincy is as flash as some others make out here, there is no doubt he is very good as an ODI captain by international standards (dont rate his as the best, but that is not the point here)... So it is a tough one to call.. I will probably have Ponting ahead of Jayasuriya in my World XI for ODIs but that is only because I like to have Sachin and Gilly/Lara opening and therefore can't fit in Jayasuriya..

salman85

International Debutant
It's also interesting to note how huge a step was Jayasuriya's aggressive batting in 96 WC for SL cricket. They became a world beater from a minnow overnight! I remember how I though of SL before and after the 96 world cup was poles apart. I know there were others who deserve credit for that transformation. Arguably, De Silva's contribution was even bigger in SL's WC campaign. But it was Jayasuriya's destructive batting that left an enduring image in everyone's mind.
Exactly.I don't remember Sri Lanka being touted amongst the favourites to win the 96 edition before the tournament started,but after that they were a force to reckon with.Before the WC,a match against Srilanka was supposed to be a whipping exhibition for the opposition.I was never 'scared' of Srilanka.But after they became champions,they were up there with South Africa as the team i wanted to avoid most in any competition.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sanath was a fantastic player...but: top 5 batsman of all-time, arguably the greatest ODI captain of all time and in the top handful of fielders of all-time. Jayasuriya's bowling just doesn't make enough ground for me.

Debris

International 12th Man
Jayasuriya's fielding was good too which is why i only included Ponting's captaincy in the equation.
Jayasuriya was a good fieldsman but Ponting was a great fieldsman. He would have to be in contention for the best fieldsman of the modern era, certainly in the top 5. In no way was their fielding equal.

abmk

State 12th Man
sanath, but not by a large margin by any means

he took 300+ wickets , only 10 others have done that, just saying

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sanath was a fantastic player...but: top 5 batsman of all-time, arguably the greatest ODI captain of all time and in the top handful of fielders of all-time. Jayasuriya's bowling just doesn't make enough ground for me.
Jayasuriya was a good fieldsman but Ponting was a great fieldsman. He would have to be in contention for the best fieldsman of the modern era, certainly in the top 5. In no way was their fielding equal.

I really wonder how much emphasis you guys place on a strong arm.. I would think, Aussies, of all people would appreciate the value of rocket throws being just as important as the ability to anticipate and dive around.. And as catchers, I don't really see any reason why Ponting should be considered better than Jayasuriya...

smash84

The Tiger King
Ditto

And as catchers, I don't really see any reason why Ponting should be considered better than Jayasuriya...
I am thinking along the same lines.

abmk

State 12th Man
I really wonder how much emphasis you guys place on a strong arm.. I would think, Aussies, of all people would appreciate the value of rocket throws being just as important as the ability to anticipate and dive around.. And as catchers, I don't really see any reason why Ponting should be considered better than Jayasuriya...
ponting is/was CLEARLY the better catcher.

As far as inflicting run-outs is concerned, IMO ponting had/has no superior .

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm.. I think they definitely were the in-form ODI side heading into the tournament (it was pretty open with no clear pre-tournament favourites, somewhat like this year). Not minnows at all for mine in '96.

Spark

Global Moderator
Catching there isn't that much difference - although Ponting was probably just that bit more naturally gifted.

Run-outs though, yeah. I don't think I've seen anyone hit the stumps on demand more than he has, ever.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Difficult decision is difficult.
Both boss batsmen no doubt.
Sanath's savage batting and canny clever spinners, 8 4fers and 4 5fers.
Ponting's skippership and great ODI leadership esp. WC's (dealwithithaters.pdf) and consistent attacking batting and amazing fielding.