• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden: "..Ganguly and Harbajan chickened out.."

akilana

International 12th Man
Hayden in his biography rates Lara and Sachin as the best but picks Lara as his personal favourite. As for bowlers, he rates Ambrose and Akram as the best two. He claims that Ganguly and Harbajan chickened out of the decider in 2004 in Nagpur.

Source

Francis

State Vice-Captain
At risk of agreeing with MATTHEW HAYDEN, to be honest back in 2004 I thought the departures of Ganguly and Singh were a little suspect.

I wonder what he said about the Aussie bowlers like Warne and McGrath? I remember a few years back the Aussie team rated Warne a better bowler than McGrath, and voted Lara better than Tendulkar (which surprised me). They voted Flintoff the best international bowler - better than Murali.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
At risk of agreeing with MATTHEW HAYDEN, to be honest back in 2004 I thought the departures of Ganguly and Singh were a little suspect.

I wonder what he said about the Aussie bowlers like Warne and McGrath? I remember a few years back the Aussie team rated Warne a better bowler than McGrath, and voted Lara better than Tendulkar (which surprised me). They voted Flintoff the best international bowler - better than Murali.
Ikki hijacked that voting.. :detective: :p

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
Ganguly's average @ Brisbane, the track which Nagpur resembled and consequently scared him so much that he pulled out: 144

Ganguly' s average in England: 65
Hayden's average in England: 34

wtf would ganguly be scared of green tracks? He didnt play in the test match before which was on a rank turner (he is probably the best batsmen of all time on rank turners), so why is it when he doesn't play on a green track, it's called green trackitis. If anything, going by these stats, Hayden's career average would have been better if he developed greentrackitis as he was certainly less equipped than ganguly to play on them.

Wtf would bhaji be scared to play on a green track, he's a freaking bowler! If Bhaji had this mentality he would have pulled out of the NZ test series in 2010 as they were some of the flattest tracks ever.

smash84

The Tiger King
You know that you can't put an "s" on the end and still have that make sense, right?
lol...........I thought that when I was posting.....I was thinking that maybe I should put WFGs....but I thought what the hell......might as well avoid expletives sometimes in life :)

JBH001

International Regular
The 12 best opposition players that Hayden names constitute a very strong side, near an All Time XII side.

In imagined order:

1. V Sehwag
2. G Smith
3. R Dravid
4. S Tendulkar
5. B Lara
6. J Kallis
7. K Sangakkara
8. W Akram
9. H Singh
10. C Ambrose
11/12 M Muralitharan/C Walsh

smash84

The Tiger King
Not if the A stands for awesome :cool:
true :)

The 12 best opposition players that Hayden names constitute a very strong side, near an All Time XII side.

In imagined order:

1. V Sehwag
2. G Smith
3. R Dravid
4. S Tendulkar
5. B Lara
6. J Kallis
7. K Sangakkara
8. W Akram
9. H Singh
10. C Ambrose
11/12 M Muralitharan/C Walsh
Having Harbhajan as 12th man and you can give a lot of All time XIs a run for their money

Bun

Banned
He is just trying to sell his autobiography. He knows his audience as well. No wonder he was in India for its launch.

sehwag fan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Any reason he did not keep VVS LAXMAN in his top 12 considering the fact he has owned Australia throughout his career.

Even Warne did not rate him in his top 50 cricketer.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ganguly's average @ Brisbane, the track which Nagpur resembled and consequently scared him so much that he pulled out: 144

Ganguly' s average in England: 65
Hayden's average in England: 34

wtf would ganguly be scared of green tracks? He didnt play in the test match before which was on a rank turner (he is probably the best batsmen of all time on rank turners), so why is it when he doesn't play on a green track, it's called green trackitis. If anything, going by these stats, Hayden's career average would have been better if he developed greentrackitis as he was certainly less equipped than ganguly to play on them.

Wtf would bhaji be scared to play on a green track, he's a freaking bowler! If Bhaji had this mentality he would have pulled out of the NZ test series in 2010 as they were some of the flattest tracks ever.
Ganguly's average in Brisbane is inflated by that very good ton he made there (not that that's the right term but anyway). I'm not even sure which series that was tbh. If it was the 2003-4 series then McGrath and Warne may not have played. Again though, I can't recall and CBF looking it up.

The perception here was that if it was over hip height he didn't like it.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Yeah Ganguly only played one test in Brisbane, got the 144 which was a fine knock, against a crap bowling attack. Nothing like the conditions and bowling attack he wouldve faced in 2004 at Nagpur.

sehwag fan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Anyone that chickened was actually ponting. Remained absent in first 3 test match of the tour. Came back in fouth because OZ had won the series and lost the only test in which punter played.

Nice ploy by Hayden to sell his book, says Harbhajan

"I don't know why he (Hayden) made such claims. I got him out several times in my career and why would I be scared of facing the Australians when I have done well against them. I have proved my worth playing 93 Tests. I think it is a good way for him to sell his book," Harbhajan said on the sidelines of a promotional event.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/nice-ploy-hayden-sell-book-says-harbhajan-20110205-042434-328.html

Last edited:

robelinda

I guess Sachin chickened out too, he missed the SAME three tests Ponting missed. Everyone knows how Sachin runs away under pressure.

JBH001

International Regular
Ganguly's average in Brisbane is inflated by that very good ton he made there (not that that's the right term but anyway). I'm not even sure which series that was tbh. If it was the 2003-4 series then McGrath and Warne may not have played. Again though, I can't recall and CBF looking it up.

The perception here was that if it was over hip height he didn't like it.
It was the 2003/2004 tour, and yes, he did not face McGrath (or Warne). Nevertheless, I watched that innings, and tbf to Ganguly, that was a good knock. India were down a few for not that many when he came in too, IIRC.

robelinda

I should upload it! His shot selection was good, but he got fed a lot of garbage from Bichel in particular. Most aussies want to forget every test that Bracken played.