• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sanga is under rated?

when everyone talk about best batsmen why Sanga is not mentioned?I was looking on cricinfo statsguru and found that he average more than all batsman who are still playing.He average much more than likes of dravid,ponting,kallis,sachin,lara,shewag,younnis khan,yosuf.You cant say he is bad player outside SL cause he average 60 in Aus which is the toughest place to bat and 80 against very gud attacks in Pak.He average more than 70 as pure batsman which is best average after don!!!!!!!

Sanga has played many atg knocks like 192 v Aus in hobart with SL in losing position.If not for umpiring error then Sanga will have won match for us.Another ATG knock was v NZ were he score unbeaten 100 in rainy overcast condion in damp pitch against bond.3RD ATG inn was v Waqar and Akthar were he score match winning 200 in pakistan!!!!!!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah Sangakkara is indeed tremendously under-rated IMO. His career average isn't even the most impressive part; his record without the burden of wicket-keeping is even more spectacular.

46 Tests, 5127 runs @ 76.52 with 17 hundreds and 23 fifties.

The fact that he plays so much cricket at home and in similar conditions to home is something you need to consider when looking at his record though, as well as his outright bullying of the minnows. He's certainly amongst the best three batsman in the world currently, however, and has been for quite some time now.

Woodster

International Captain
Yeah Sangakkara is indeed tremendously under-rated IMO. His career average isn't even the most impressive part; his record without the burden of wicket-keeping is even more spectacular.

46 Tests, 5127 runs @ 76.52 with 17 hundreds and 23 fifties.

The fact that he plays so much cricket at home and in similar conditions to home is something you need to consider when looking at his record though, as well as his outright bullying of the minnows. He's certainly amongst the best three batsman in the world currently, however, and has been for quite some time now.
Fully agree, these things have to be taken into acount when making a full assessment of Sanga's standing in the world. I love watching him play, and certainly rate him up there with the best, but his performances against top sides in more difficult batting conditions in the next few years, now he's peaking, will determine where Sanga will be rated when his career finishes. Top player and so elegant to watch.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's a qualified lawyer. People never give lawyers the credit they deserve. The achievements of lawyers are always sold short by lesser, jealous types.

ff_vii_ac

Cricket Spectator
definately underated. a great leader, great cricket mind and excellent batsman. hope he keeps playing for a long time =)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't enjoy watching him in ODIs. His style of stroking the ball effortlessly one bounce for 4 - seems to defy logic to me.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Very
Points deducted for being a lawyer though.
Could be worse for Sanga tbf, he could have been an Australian lawyer...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't enjoy watching him in ODIs. His style of stroking the ball effortlessly one bounce for 4 - seems to defy logic to me.
I actually think he is slightly over rated as an ODI player. He received a few nominations in the 50 best ODI players of all time and I was surprised with that.

Overall though in Test Cricket he's a champion batsman, one of the best in the world and I'm pretty sure most people think that, so he's rated accordingly.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I actually think he is slightly over rated as an ODI player. He received a few nominations in the 50 best ODI players of all time and I was surprised with that.

Overall though in Test Cricket he's a champion batsman, one of the best in the world and I'm pretty sure most people think that, so he's rated accordingly.
His wicket keeping probably contributed to that. He shouldn't get anywhere near the top 50 as a batsman alone, but as an ODI keeper/batsman there aren't too many better.