• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

today is the 30 year anniversary

Debris

International 12th Man
Most disgraceful moment in cricket? Really???

How about match-fixing or drug-taking? The 2007 World Cup. Some perspective please.

It was completely legal at the time so this is a bit of a whinge about nothing. It is about on a par with Ranatunga getting a runner for being a bit tired or batsman backing up a long way because they know that the bowler cannot mankad them. A bit annoying and you feel it should not be allowed somehow but nothing to get too wound up about.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Despite being a poor act of sportsmanship by Greg Chappell it still remains one of those great moments in cricketing history.

Australia v New Zealand contests would have far less meaning if it wasn't for the underarm incident. Any contest between the two nations always contains a reference in the media, on this forum or by the players of 1981.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Despite being a poor act of sportsmanship by Greg Chappell it still remains one of those great moments in cricketing history.

Australia v New Zealand contests would have far less meaning if it wasn't for the underarm incident. Any contest between the two nations always contains a reference in the media, on this forum or by the players of 1981.
This.

I'm sure any normal New Zealander has put this in the past. And it most certainly has added spice to all subsequent games between the two sides.

archie mac

International Coach
Most disgraceful moment in cricket? Really???

How about match-fixing or drug-taking? The 2007 World Cup. Some perspective please.

It was completely legal at the time so this is a bit of a whinge about nothing. It is about on a par with Ranatunga getting a runner for being a bit tired or batsman backing up a long way because they know that the bowler cannot mankad them. A bit annoying and you feel it should not be allowed somehow but nothing to get too wound up about.
Lived through this. I remember our Kiwi PE teacher wearing an "Aussies have an underarm problem" the next Monday at school.

Still think it was the wrong thing to do and was one of the rare times I was ashamed to be an Aussie:-O

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
This.

I'm sure any normal New Zealander has put this in the past. And it most certainly has added spice to all subsequent games between the two sides.
Indeed. While it's wheeled out now and then amongst other Aus-NZ rivalries, I think the intelligent among us are really over it and use it tongue-in-cheek, while you have the less intelligent spouting it as a reason to hate the Aussies, and Aussies vehemently getting up in knots over it and bang on about it being a legal delivery...

It doesn't matter except for adding to the already rich rivalry between the two countries, sports wise.

Debris

International 12th Man
Lived through this. I remember our Kiwi PE teacher wearing an "Aussies have an underarm problem" the next Monday at school.

Still think it was the wrong thing to do and was one of the rare times I was ashamed to be an Aussie:-O
I was quite young at the time and remember thinking it was a genius move until Benaud came on and starting whining. Thought it was fine until then. It was a bit unsporting on reflection but it was amusing because NZ WAY over-reacted. It was more like we had lined the NZ team up and shot them all in the head rather than won a fairly meaningless one-day series through an act of low cunning.

Spark

Global Moderator
Did a massive double-take on reading that scorecard to make sure my browser wasn't ****ing up.