• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kanpur pitch vs Durban pitch

Howe_zat

Audio File
The Kanpur pitch was also widely praised for producing a good contest. Only Mickey Arthur complained, and he was mostly taking issue about the facilities. He also didn't make an official complaint.

Arthur wasn't there in Durban so it's not clear what he thought of that pitch, but most of us wouldn't listen to him anyway.

I notice, sehwag fan, that you are repeatedly putting words of a few into the mouths of the majority. Please don't, as it doesn't help debate at all.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBF, Mickey Arthur seems to have whinged more about the facilities than the actual pitch. These are his comments from that link in the starting post :

Mickey Arthur, South Africa's coach, said he could understand India's strategy of playing to their strengths in a must-win game.

"Even we would have left a lot of grass on South African wickets in this situation. We would have played to our strength," said Arthur. "We had expected India to prepare a wicket like this. In a funny sort of way a wicket like this will provide a very exciting result."

That said, Arthur reiterated the while track wasn't as bad as he had expected, it wasn't an ideal one for Tests. "There's always something happening on this wicket, it's a day-five wicket on day two," he said. "This has played a little better than expected, but not ideal for Test cricket."
EDIT : Howe_zat beat me to it. :@

sehwag fan

School Boy/Girl Captain
The Kanpur pitch was also widely praised for producing a good contest. Only Mickey Arthur complained, and he was mostly taking issue about the facilities. He also didn't make an official complaint.

Arthur wasn't there in Durban so it's not clear what he thought of that pitch, but most of us wouldn't listen to him anyway.

I notice, sehwag fan, that you are repeatedly putting words of a few into the mouths of the majority. Please don't, as it doesn't help debate at all.
ICC warns Indian board over Kanpur pitch | Cricket News | South Africa in India | ESPN Cricinfo

ICC disagrees

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

Howe_zat

Audio File
Well that's interesting. I daresay the ICC have been too harsh there. There is a good argument for making sure the pitch lasts five days, but as I showed the Kanpur pitch was also widely praised.

Either way, suggesting that "because players of certain country can't play spin bowling and run to match refree ?" is clearly a touch extreme, no? Given that it was the ICC, not CSA or anyone connected to the SA team, that intervened?

Edit: Indeed, according to Cevno's link, it seems to be mainly the Sri Lankan Roshan Mahanama that took umbrage with the wicket.

Last edited:

vcs

Ganguly was so good in that series. His comeback to the Test team was a great one.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As badly as the point has been made, it's a valid point. Pitches only seem to get criticised when they're taking "excessive" spin.

sehwag fan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well that's interesting. I daresay the ICC have been too harsh there. There is a good argument for making sure the pitch lasts five days, but as I showed the Kanpur pitch was also widely praised.

Either way, suggesting that "because players of certain country can't play spin bowling and run to match refree ?" is clearly a touch extreme, no? Given that it was the ICC, not CSA or anyone connected to the SA team, that intervened?

Edit: Indeed, according to Cevno's link, it seems to be mainly the Sri Lankan Roshan Mahanama that took umbrage with the wicket.
Concerns on the Kanpur track were raised by match referee Roshan Mahanama and skipper Graeme Smith in their customary post-match report and the International cricket board's note demands an explanation from the BCCI on the Kanpur pitch fiasco.

BCCI pulled up over Kanpur pitch

Spark

Global Moderator
As badly as the point has been made, it's a valid point. Pitches only seem to get criticised when they're taking "excessive" spin.
I guess because greentops will get easier to bat on later, hence evening the contest between bat and ball. Dustbowl turners only get worse, really.

Don't agree with the ostracizing of them though. Certainly not to the degree they are nowadays.

vcs

I think the ICC should be more concerned about some of the 600 plays 700 pitches in places like Ahmedabad, Pakistan, WI etc..

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

Actually IIRC ,it was the Saffers who first verbally complained about the pitch to the match referee and then also made a report emphasising on it.

The Match referee buckled under pressure and Mr.Speed as the chief executive was as ever delighted to act against his nemesis.

Uppercut

Actually IIRC ,it was the Saffers who first verbally complained about the pitch to the match referee and then also made a report emphasising on it.

The Match referee buckled under pressure and Mr.Speed as the chief executive was as ever delighted to act against his nemesis.
Hmm. Where did you hear that?

Howe_zat

Audio File
That article states that Smith had "concerns" over the pitch, not that he made an official complaint. Captains do not make a customary post-match report.

None of these articles mention anything official said or done by Smith or Arthur. I'm happy to be proven wrong but I'm always sceptical of these sorts of claims.

Jacknife

International Captain
I think the ICC should be more concerned about some of the 600 plays 700 pitches in places like Ahmedabad, Pakistan, WI etc..
Agree, they are the kind of pitches that turn fans off.

Last edited: