• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"No i will not have any trouble facing Marshall."

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How did this become a McGrath tribute thread? Just because McGrath aged better (which is debatable anyway because their careers were of similar duration) doesn't make him a better bowler than Marshall. Not in Tests, anyway. And Tendulkar didn't face Marshall in Tests in any case.
Whoosh.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
How did this become a McGrath tribute thread? Just because McGrath aged better (which is debatable anyway because their careers were of similar duration) doesn't make him a better bowler than Marshall. Not in Tests, anyway. And Tendulkar didn't face Marshall in Tests in any case.
It became a McGrath tribute thread because people were using Marshall's supposed decline as some sort of excuse. And McGrath is indeed a better bowler than Marshall.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It became a McGrath tribute thread because people were using Marshall's supposed decline as some sort of excuse. And McGrath is indeed a better bowler than Marshall.
In your opinion. :) (by bowler, I mean Test bowler)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All threads should be McGrath tribute threads.

Those that aren't should be Warne tribute threads that descend into becoming McGrath tribute threads.

See SS's sig.

vcs

Are you suggesting that my opinion carries less weight than any other? :)
Not at all.

Why make the qualification otherwise?
Because it's close enough for it to come down to personal preference and your post didn't seem to get that across. :) I'd say there are more arguments in favour of Marshall than McGrath personally, but I wouldn't argue with anyone who feels the opposite.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Not at all.

Because it's close enough for it to come down to personal preference and your post didn't seem to get that across. :) I'd say there are more arguments in favour of Marshall than McGrath personally, but I wouldn't argue with anyone who feels the opposite.
How much did Marshall swing the ball?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Not at all.

In your opinion. :cool:

There are more rose tinted glass arguments in favour of Marshall, IMO. McGrath was the best at dismissing the best batsmen of the opposition and carried on for longer. I'm not letting a few decimal points and speedometer readings get in the way of rating him the greatest ever. Its always amusing how the pitches turn into bowlers' paradises when discussing the 80's batsmen, but not when discussing the 80s bowlers. Vive la nostalgia.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Will be fun to see how Murali's test stats look like when only his best 10-11 year period(About as big a career as McG or Marshall) is considered, in the very same 'batting paradise' period tbh.

By a decent margin the best bowler of the post-Bradman era, IMO.

vcs

How much did Marshall swing the ball?
Dunno, didn't watch him.

There are more rose tinted glass arguments in favour of Marshall, IMO. McGrath was the best at dismissing the best batsmen of the opposition and carried on for longer. I'm not letting a few decimal points and speedometer readings get in the way of rating him the greatest ever. Its always amusing how the pitches turn into bowlers' paradises when discussing the 80's batsmen, but not when discussing the 80s bowlers. Vive la nostalgia.
McGrath didn't carry on for longer, he played more Tests in the same duration, yes.

But yes, McGrath's 2000s record is certainly a big feather in his cap, just like Marshall's superior SR and the completeness of his armoury is a plus point for him.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Dunno, didn't watch him.

McGrath didn't carry on for longer, he played more Tests in the same duration, yes

But yes, McGrath's 2000s record is certainly a big feather in his cap, just like Marshall's superior SR and the completeness of his armoury is a plus point for him.
Apparently Marshall was past his prime at the ripe old age of 34. McGrath carried on for longer as a better bowler. So yeah, the qualification needs to be made.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Will be fun to see how Murali's test stats look like when only his best 10-11 year period(About as big a career as McG or Marshall) is considered, in the very same 'batting paradise' period tbh.

People have to stop looking at just a player's peak....

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Minor nitpicking perhaps, but Marshall was picking up best batsmen too. Not sure if you came across this thread. Marshall's average value of wicket is just little less than McGrath's, while bowling average a little lesser. On the metric used in that analysis, Marshall comes out on top, though by less than 1% point. And that analysis actually takes the quality of pitches in general out of picture (tougher the wickets, lesser will be the averages of the batsmen you play against).

You could still rate McGrath ahead, but whether he picked more valuable wickets is not clear cut.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

That will nevertheless be a fun exercise to do. I intend to do that some time, looking at the best 10 year period of bowlers.