• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"No i will not have any trouble facing Marshall."

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The real question is, how was he going against the other players at that time? Sachin may have been a teenager but he was still showing himself as a very promising batsman, sort of like a Kohli right now.. Anyways, I still think it would have been even stevens.. I think both of them were/are too good at what they do to continously be baulked by the other.
Kohli is more advanced in his development than Tendulkar was at that time.

Though obviously Tendulkar was really promising.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Rookie Kohli> Rookie Sachin though a rookie Kohli is atleast at a 5 year advantage in terms of development.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Marshall might not have been at his peak but still had loads of experience to get rid of a teenage punk, he didn't, going from the posts in this thread.
Going by this thread, Marshall was no McGrath, thats for sure.

34 year old McGrath wouldn't have had problems dismissing rookie Sachin.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Did a 34 year old McGrath get Sachin? Genuinely curious here.. I am not sure what McGrath's age was when he retired.. He was 37 too?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Did a 34 year old McGrath get Sachin? Genuinely curious here.. I am not sure what McGrath's age was when he retired.. He was 37 too?
Once at 34.

Once at 36.

Not to mention signing off as Man of the Tournament at the World Cup at 37.

McGrath was the ultimate bowler.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Seems like Tendulakr has stopped playing that back-foot cover drive where he stands up on his toes. Can't remember him playing that shot in southafrica...

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How did this become a McGrath tribute thread? Just because McGrath aged better (which is debatable anyway because their careers were of similar duration) doesn't make him a better bowler than Marshall. Not in Tests, anyway. And Tendulkar didn't face Marshall in Tests in any case.