• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"No i will not have any trouble facing Marshall."

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Cummins was a pretty good bowler around that time, though, or at least so I felt.
Throughout most of the early to mid 90's Cummins was a very good bowler in ODI's. He mixed his pace up and was a great backup to Walsh and Ambrose. I still cannot believe the large, balding man for Canada in the last World Cup was the same guy.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
"No, I will not have any trouble facing Marshall" - No humbleness.

"Yes, I will have trouble facing Marshall. Everyone does" - No confidence.

Can't win, really. :)
I find this so stupid really... What happens is most people don't actually achieve anything in their own lives and they lack confidence..so when they see someone who not only has a lot of confidence but also achieves, they react in this way. Instead of talking about lack of humility, I would look at it as a quality to admire..it is a reflection of his self confidence and strength of character, so ****ing important in sports. Imran Khan had this sort of confidence and strength of character and all throughout his career he was labeled arrogant and ****y.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I find this so stupid really... What happens is most people don't actually achieve anything in their own lives and they lack confidence..so when they see someone who not only has a lot of confidence but also achieves, they react in this way. Instead of talking about lack of humility, I would look at it as a quality to admire..it is a reflection of his self confidence and strength of character, so ****ing important in sports. Imran Khan had this sort of confidence and strength of character and all throughout his career he was labeled arrogant and ****y.
yeah.. it is an X factor, isn't it? People always wonder why a Lara/Sachin/Ponting are labelled better batters than Kallis but this is one of those qualities, right?

Gotta admit though, I am not really a man who follows Kallis as much as I do the other 3.. So perhaps he is just as confident as these 3 but somehow it doesn't really show up on the field.

There was this great story about Lara visualizing that 153* knock at Barbados on the morning of the 5th day... Sachin apparently told everyone that he has got something special up his sleeve before his 2003 knock against Pakistan.. Ponting's confidence is obvious when he walks out to bat. I just do not see something like that with a Kallis or a Dravid..

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah.. it is an X factor, isn't it? People always wonder why a Lara/Sachin/Ponting are labelled better batters than Kallis but this is one of those qualities, right?

Gotta admit though, I am not really a man who follows Kallis as much as I do the other 3.. So perhaps he is just as confident as these 3 but somehow it doesn't really show up on the field.

There was this great story about Lara visualizing that 153* knock at Barbados on the morning of the 5th day... Sachin apparently told everyone that he has got something special up his sleeve before his 2003 knock against Pakistan.. Ponting's confidence is obvious when he walks out to bat. I just do not see something like that with a Kallis or a Dravid..
I cannot overstate the importance of self confidence and self belief..in every field but more so in sports because you actually compete with someone who is just as good if not better.
I am not a great fan of McGrath the bowler but I loved and admired his confidence..how he would always pick the best batsman in the opposition before a series and claim to get them out..and he did more often than not.
I remember in 99, Australia were about to get knocked out and they were playing this crucial game against West Indies, if they had lost that they would be out. Steve Waugh walked up to the toss and said our team has the ability to win the next 6 games (3 in super six, 1 semi final 1 final).

One of my complaint against Tendulkar has been that he doesn't display this confidence enough..like someone like Lara. I remember Lara would take on McGrath, Warne, Murali...and he would give the impression that he knows he is good enough to play them.

I remember when Wasim was playing his first series against West Indies, Imran told him, 'after you get Viv Richards out, give him a send off".

This is competition, you have to be tough, brutal and merciless. No matter how much you admire Malcolm Marshall as a bowler, you cannot say "oh I am only 16, I am ****ting my pants at the thought of facing him" If you think you're not ready, then don't bother showing up. I am glad Tendulkar said what he did.

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
Yeah, I agree to an extent. I have no problem with arrogance or ****iness, as long as there is ability and performance to back it up. For example, I have no issues with guys like Federer and Kevin Pietersen being arrogant (that is the common consensus, not my personal opinion), because they have both ability and performance to back it up. Someone like Rohit Sharma, on the other hand, does not.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People read way, way too much into what is said in interviews, in general. I agree about the self-confidence/positive reinforcement being a good thing and all that, but it's pretty meh overall.

EDIT : Blaze, I see you've mentioned Pietersen. Despite what I said above, I often criticize him on this issue a lot because his comments sometimes spill over to disrespect to the opposition (see the "pie-chucker" comments to Yuvraj and "selfish batsman" to Chanderpaul"), and he just doesn't appear like he puts the team above his personal interests at times... like the outrage at being dropped from ODIs after averaging <20 for 2 years, and the recent "we won the Ashes because I gave up the captaincy" comments.

In summary, I'd much rather the McGrath/Harbhajan/Ponting type ****iness over the Pietersen brand.

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
Yeah, I agree to an extent. I have no problem with arrogance or ****iness, as long as there is ability and performance to back it up. For example, I have no issues with guys like Federer and Kevin Pietersen being arrogant (that is the common consensus, not my personal opinion), because they have both ability and performance to back it up. Someone like Rohit Sharma, on the other hand, does not.
KP is slipping fast from that league, if not already has.

bagapath

International Captain
Yeah that first match is a classic. Bouncy pitch, like crazy. I recall Shastri having absolutely no idea against the WI fast bowlers, couldnt even lay bat on ball for over after over.
Shastri ran out Ambrose with a straight throw, IIRC, after Ambrose had hit a six off Kapil and threatened to win the game for Windies. So he was useful after all.

Jacknife

International Captain
People read way, way too much into what is said in interviews, in general. I agree about the self-confidence/positive reinforcement being a good thing and all that, but it's pretty meh overall.

EDIT : Blaze, I see you've mentioned Pietersen. Despite what I said above, I often criticize him on this issue a lot because his comments sometimes spill over to disrespect to the opposition (see the "pie-chucker" comments to Yuvraj and "selfish batsman" to Chanderpaul"), and he just doesn't appear like he puts the team above his personal interests at times... like the outrage at being dropped from ODIs after averaging <20 for 2 years, and the recent "we won the Ashes because I gave up the captaincy" comments.

In summary, I'd much rather the McGrath/Harbhajan/Ponting type ****iness over the Pietersen brand.
You see this is where there is a bit of taking things out of context, in the "we won the Ashes because I gave up the captaincy", which when I read the interview, I couldn't see what people were talking about and imo it was a bit of a hatchet job on KP, to make him look bad. If anything, he was talking up the job done by Flower and Strauss and suggested that if Moores and himself were still at the helm, they wouldn't have won, which is more than likely correct. Of course the press being the press, that wasn't interesting enough and stitched him up.
As far as the other comments, they are neither here or there and I'm sure if you look through the interviews of the people you mentioned, McGrath/Harbhajan/Ponting, you could find comments you don't like, especially during the course of a series.
All the interviews, I've ever seen of KP, he comes over as a decent bloke, who contrary to what people say, only ever talks about the good of the team and mainly has good things to say about the opposition. But obviously it's a choice who you perceive as arrogant and then take it step further and dislike because of one thing or another that someone has said.
I personally love to see a bit of ****iness and arrogance in sports men, there's nothing wrong having players around like that, at all and it would be a boring place if everyone acted the and played the same. Cricket needs big personalities and people who object to such people, imo are intimidated by them, which frankly is a bit sad.

smash84

The Tiger King
I cannot overstate the importance of self confidence and self belief..in every field but more so in sports because you actually compete with someone who is just as good if not better.
I am not a great fan of McGrath the bowler but I loved and admired his confidence..how he would always pick the best batsman in the opposition before a series and claim to get them out..and he did more often than not.
I remember in 99, Australia were about to get knocked out and they were playing this crucial game against West Indies, if they had lost that they would be out. Steve Waugh walked up to the toss and said our team has the ability to win the next 6 games (3 in super six, 1 semi final 1 final).

One of my complaint against Tendulkar has been that he doesn't display this confidence enough..like someone like Lara. I remember Lara would take on McGrath, Warne, Murali...and he would give the impression that he knows he is good enough to play them.

I remember when Wasim was playing his first series against West Indies, Imran told him, 'after you get Viv Richards out, give him a send off".

This is competition, you have to be tough, brutal and merciless. No matter how much you admire Malcolm Marshall as a bowler, you cannot say "oh I am only 16, I am ****ting my pants at the thought of facing him" If you think you're not ready, then don't bother showing up. I am glad Tendulkar said what he did.
Very well said

Teendla had trouble when he was facing sheer pace.Malcolm had the wood on him in county matches.Superlative batsman but not great v pace,even sanga has better shots viz hook,pull,cut against sheer pacemen.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Marshall didn't really trouble Sachin that much in the times they played against each other at international level but he was getting on a bit.

Both at their peaks, nothing in it for mine.