• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Graeme Smith still be opening the batting?

ff_vii_ac

Cricket Spectator
Hi All. New here, long time browser, first time posting. I'm Dave :happy:

Just been thinking lately, I've always had a lot of respect for Graeme Smith as a player and leader (especially when they beat us *Australia* in that great test series. And he will always rank as one of my favorite players. I just think lately he hasn't looked as settled and composed as he used to. I know he scored four test centuries last year from memory but I believe he can do more for his team if he batted at 4 or 5 in a Hussey type roll and South Africa can open with De Villiers and Amla. I reckon if he had the oppurtunity to save a test or bat with a tail, he would be excellent in this respect.

Just curious to know what anyone else things. =) Thanks

TumTum

Banned
SA playing series with India recently explains his recent slump. He's only 29 and still has a long way to go.

kingkallis

International Coach
Yes, he is the best when he gets going. There is no point changing positions. Right now he is just a bit out of form and he is also concerned about his finger.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Graeme Smith has never been a batsman to look in sublime touch. Very effective at piling on the unstylish runs. I don't see much reason to remove Smith from opener (a role he has always played) into the middle order after scoring 4 centuries last season. Even less reason to move Amla to opening when he was one of the best middle order batsman in the world last year.

Unsettles a balanced top order with no clear benefit in making the proposed change.

ff_vii_ac

Cricket Spectator
true, i guess playing in the one position you know is better then reshuffling. probs just a form slump. many batsmen have gone through much worse, eg Mark Taylor.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Anytime he comes up against India is when he enters a slump, IMO. Zaheer has the wood on him like no other.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Needs to play England more, and India less. :D

Probably the exact opposite of Hashim Amla in that regard.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Anytime he comes up against India is when he enters a slump, IMO. Zaheer has the wood on him like no other.
Doesn't like Chris Martin either.
Hoggard was all over him like a rash in 04/05 to be fair. To such an extent that he actually took ff_vii_ac's advice and went and hid in the middle order.

Because he's so very bottom handed he often turns the bat in shots and ends up not playing quite straight, so he'll always struggle against anyone who swings it back into him with any regularity.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Hoggard was all over him like a rash in 04/05 to be fair. To such an extent that he actually took ff_vii_ac's advice and went and hid in the middle order.

Because he's so very bottom handed he often turns the bat in shots and ends up not playing quite straight, so he'll always struggle against anyone who swings it back into him with any regularity.
Facing steyn in the nets should help?? (bowls inswingers to lefties)

Athlai

Not Terrible

Highlighted by Martin having dismissed him 6 times solely bowled/LBW.

ff_vii_ac

Cricket Spectator

my names dave =)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In ODIs, #3 may not be the worst position for him.. RSA should look at having Van Wyk at the top of the order and keeping, so that AB can concentrate on his batting and his awesome fielding.

The real issue would be that whoever they do pick instead will have to bat at 6 or so... Kallis will bat 3 and AB and Duminy are doing well at 4 and 5. Makes no sense to mess it up.

Perhaps this will work?

Van Wyk
Amla
Smith
Kallis
AB
Duminy
Botha
Steyn
Morkel
Tahir
Tsotsobe

?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Smith averages over 40 in Asia/subcontinent in 36 ODIs and on the trickiest surface in the series against India he top scored at the Wanderers. South Africa got more things to worry about then mucking around with their captain.