• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will India ever match fast bowling trends

shankar

International Debutant
I don't think the Pitch argument is valid.Pitches in Pakistan are pretty flat,but the battery of fast bowlers produced by Pakistan over the years is huge.
I think the difference is that while the Indian pitches are flat, they are suitable for spinners. So you can have a successful attack in domestic cricket by having a combination of medium paced swing bowlers and spinners. So there isn't much of an incentive for quick bowlers. Whereas maybe in Pakistani domestic cricket, since there isn't much assistance for spinners, once the ball gets old and stops swinging, you need bowlers who are quick enough to beat the batsman for pace? I know nothing about Pakistan's domestic cricket, so I could be completely wrong here about the assistance to spinners. I'm just going by what I've seen in international cricket.

smash84

The Tiger King
There are hardly any superfast bowlers who have continued being so for their entire career. Pace is glamorous, but is overrated. The most successful fast bowlers in cricket history are Ones who used their bodies with their brains. The Taits and the Fernandos belong to the other group.
Pace is very helpful and very important. With the same skill level of a fast bowler a higher pace level will be much more difficult to handle. And when you are tearaway fast you can rip through batting line-ups at times. A very handy option for the captain to have. Not at all over-rated IMO. In fact the reason Chappell chose Lillee over McGrath in his world XI was that Lillee could do all the things that McGrath could but at a faster pace.

salman85

International Debutant
I think the difference is that while the Indian pitches are flat, they are suitable for spinners. So you can have a successful attack in domestic cricket by having a combination of medium paced swing bowlers and spinners. So there isn't much of an incentive for quick bowlers. Whereas maybe in Pakistani domestic cricket, since there isn't much assistance for spinners, once the ball gets old and stops swinging, you need bowlers who are quick enough to beat the batsman for pace? I know nothing about Pakistan's domestic cricket, so I could be completely wrong here about the assistance to spinners. I'm just going by what I've seen in international cricket.
We don't have any spinner friendly tracks.So your point is pretty valid.Also,the street cricket in Pakistan has always helped bowlers.I'm not sure how big tape-ball cricket is in India,but over here there's an entire tape ball circuit.Also,you'll find the half tape phenomenon in Pakistan - Nothing complicated, just cover half of the tennis ball with electric tape and then watch it swing like a frisbee :D.That's very common in street cricket here,and the mindset in Pakistan is very pro-bowler.You ask a random guy who his cricketing hero is,most of the names you'd get would be Imran,Wasim and Waqar.And that mindset translates into first class cricket and the national team in turn.

I'm sure if you ask a random guy in India who his hero is,you'd get Tendulkar,Gavaskar,Dravid etc.

It all stems from who the youngsters look upto.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
We don't have any spinner friendly tracks.So your point is pretty valid.Also,the street cricket in Pakistan has always helped bowlers.I'm not sure how big tape-ball cricket is in India,but over here there's an entire tape ball circuit.Also,you'll find the half tape phenomenon in Pakistan - Nothing complicated, just cover half of the tennis ball with electric tape and then watch it swing like a frisbee :D.That's very common in street cricket here,and the mindset in Pakistan is very pro-bowler.You ask a random guy who his cricketing hero is,most of the names you'd get would be Imran,Wasim and Waqar.And that mindset translates into first class cricket and the national team in turn.

I'm sure if you ask a random guy in India who his hero is,you'd get Tendulkar,Gavaskar,Dravid etc.

It all stems from who the youngsters look upto.
spot on

Napa

Cricket Spectator
India has a pretty decent set of fast bowlers now. Umesh and Bumrah are quite pacy, and the newest addition Ahmed looks promising.

shyamcool

Cricket Spectator
I guess we dont need to. We have a good spin department. And in England our fast bowlers performed well than the engalnd pacers.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All Indian players should just be batsmen...

Vinay Kumar still around?

He's probably the best pacer India has produced in the last decade