• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slow Over Rates

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting that they picked Ponting and Clarke to accompany the article, don't think over-rates have been a problem in Tests for Australia since they dropped Brett Lee. And, now he's back in the ODI side, over-rates are a problem again.

Must be a coincidence.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Some bowlers like Brent Arnel look like they are on a sunday stroll when they walk back to the top of their mark. I don't really see what you can do to speed up the over rates when the quicks are on. I almost have time to go the fridge and back between deliveries.

I read that back in the day - they used to get through 20 overs an hour. Don't know how they did it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
On the actual proposal at hand - delaying the new ball - I doubt that would have much impact. Sometimes a captain doesn't take it until the 82nd or 83rd over anyway.

Just get strict with adding on penalty runs on every hour. 4 runs for every over that you havn't bowled.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Need to look at the batsmen aswell. Trott holds up sides a great deal and most other players are guilty of waiting to do their preparation/have a drink until after the bowler is ready which could all be happening while he walks back to his run up and talks to his captain between balls. End up with double delays when they could both be doing their own thing in that time.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
The batsmen is as much as fault as the fielding team. but 9 out of 10 its the fielding team delaying or slowing down the game.

I believe this only begins to occur when a team has already won a match in the series therefore its in the best interest of the team to maintain that lead, thus draws are as valid option as well.

what we could do is apply a sort of bonus point (s) to the game. a point for every team 100 runs a half a point for a half century and a point for a century and a point for every wicket.

I dont know something like that

slugger

State Vice-Captain
So long as you get the full quota in on the day I really don't care.
thats fair enough, but the issue is what if the full quota isnt achieved, the spectator and the fan are being short changed.

soccer has extra time because of the time wasted during play. cricket needs to address the same issue.

Spark

Global Moderator
thats fair enough, but the issue is what if the full quota isnt achieved, the spectator and the fan are being short changed.

soccer has extra time because of the time wasted during play. cricket needs to address the same issue.
How often does that happen though? With the extra half hour, you're going to be missing two or three overs at most, hardly a massive loss.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Oh instead of addessing the issue, lets give them an "extra half an hour" has this always been part of the game.

seriously im not really sure

benchmark00

And btw, it's only an issue because commentators whinge about it because it means they have to work longer hours.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
These ****s are spot on. Most overrated issue in the game.
I see what you did there.

One gripe I have is when a team has spinners in tandem for an hour or so, but still only get to 25 or so overs in a session when there's minimal delays owing to wickets or the like.

Debris

International 12th Man
Don't get the overs in on time, next dismissal does not count. I guarantee that 90 overs are bowled in 6 hours every time.

vcs

Yeah I think the authorities should be fairly strict about enforcing this going forward, for the good of the game. Even as a hopeless cricket romantic, it sometimes takes an unacceptable amount of time to finish a game/session and I do not have infinite time on my hands to watch.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think Matt79 once said, if he was at the ground he'd rather see top bowlers going at it for 80 overs than see 90 overs that incorporated medium dross just to get the overs in. I agree.

In the English summer I like the slow over rates. If I'm working, more chance of seeing play when I get home. If I'm at the game, extra time at the game drinking in the sun (cue benchmark/Burgey/some other Rolf Harris lover making remark about climate :p). Win-win.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
It is an issue that has never bothered me. The commentary team from Ch 9 yesterday was treating it like the fundamental integrity of the game was undermined by Australia being two overs behind. It never felt like the game was moving too slowly, I like that Michael Clarke was planning tactics with the bowlers, I enjoy Bree Lee taking a run-up between the fielding circle and the ropes. I just don't see the issue if the news is delayed by 5 minutes. It will only get prolonged with the continued introduction of the UDRS. Many want the UDRS introduced for all-close calls, we are going to need an extra 30 minutes if that is the case.