• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slow Over Rates

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Giant meh from me. It takes as long as it takes. Deliberate slowing tactics are different of course.
I'm inclined to agree, but the whole issue is a bit of a grey area for my quid. One man's slow over rate is another's deliberate slowing.

I do like umpires who adopt a common sense approach like Bucknor did in England's 3rd test of our 00/01 tour to Pakistan. Moin was patently slowing the rate to deny us victory, but there was no way Bucknor was taking us off for light.

Would've been interesting had it rained tho...

No one's mentioned Ponting's own arse saving yet either, so I'll do the honours.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean when it becomes deliberate slowing of the game or when it starts to affect the game in a big way as per Ponting, then, yeah, obviously that needs to be stamped on with jackboots.

But when it's just bowlers being a bit tardy to get to the mark as per Lee and the captain making fourteen thousand tactical/bowling changes as per Clarke resulting in an over rate that means we take the dinner break 5 or 10 minutes late, it seems a bit of a silly thing to have a whinge over.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean when it becomes deliberate slowing of the game or when it starts to affect the game in a big way as per Ponting, then, yeah, obviously that needs to be stamped on with jackboots.

But when it's just bowlers being a bit tardy to get to the mark as per Lee and the captain making fourteen thousand tactical/bowling changes as per Clarke resulting in an over rate that means we take the dinner break 5 or 10 minutes late, it seems a bit of a silly thing to have a whinge over.
Australia was eight overs down in that match where Ponting went to part timers. Bloody Lee. As T_C said, since he's been out of the side tree hasn't been a drama. Now he's back, there is. Go figure.

Debris

International 12th Man
Australia had issues with slow over rates before Lee came back, didn't they? Or am I somehow forgetting how they always finished each day in the Ashes on time.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia had issues with slow over rates before Lee came back, didn't they? Or am I somehow forgetting how they always finished each day in the Ashes on time.
Well the extra half hour each day is a given in nearly every match. It's a bit different to being eight overs down half way through a day mate.

Debris

International 12th Man
What happened in the first two ODIs? I don;t remember Australia being behind in those but my short-term memory is terrible.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's what I thought. Not sure why Lee is getting the blame here.
Wait... I meant during the Ashes.

I don't really know what the over rates were during the ODIs except when on-screen, they're a bit harder to track than in Tests.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
On the actual proposal at hand - delaying the new ball - I doubt that would have much impact. Sometimes a captain doesn't take it until the 82nd or 83rd over anyway.

Just get strict with adding on penalty runs on every hour. 4 runs for every over that you havn't bowled.
That rule would be a complete nonsense, batting teams would just subtly delay the bowling by having quick chats between every delivery and doing a bit of extra gardening on the wicket.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I read a similar article in this weekend's Herald on Sunday where Andrew Alderson commented on the slow over rates. He suggested that much of the problem was a result of the constant interruptions from long drinks breaks and the 12th man running onto the field to deliver messages and refreshments to the players. To a certain extent I agree, although I don't think theres a simple fix to the slow over rate issue.

Issuing clear penalties, like x amount of runs added to the opposition per over not bowled in allotted time or additional overs with an old ball, is dangerous in the sense that external events like players coming and going from rain interruptions, injuries and tactics from the batting side to delay the game can affect the bowling side's ability to bowl their allotted number of overs. Personally I'd continue to note captains that are constantly slow in bowling their overs on time through their own fault (i.e. noting the length of time it takes to begin a new over from the end of the previous and so on) and issue suspensions and meaningful fines from there.