• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lasting memory of 2003?

Langeveldt

Soutie
So the last ball of the English cricket season has been bowled, what are your lasting memories of the season?

You can only pick one and one only!

- Andrew Flintoff at Lords

Rich2001

International Captain
From my Kent view it would have to be the duo of Ed Smith and G.Jones who have come to the party.

G.Jones completed a fine season by becoming the Highest Run scores out of the Wicket-Keepers and taking the most dissmissals in the Longer game. And today he broke the record of number of dismissals in a season in the Sunday League after breaking the record set back in around 1995/6 by Richard Blakey (Yorks) and about the 3rd highest scoring Wicket-Keeper too.

Ed Smith has always been in and around the 1000 run mark every season but this season it just clicked and he scored a hatful of runs, even more impressive was he was doing it when Kent were at their worse! In one game early on he hit 120 odd out of a score of just about 200.

However overall I would have to say my lasting memory would probley be the new 20/20 Cup but inparticular A.Symond's 96 from like 39 balls vs Hampshire in teh group stages

Last edited:

Bazza

International 12th Man
Langeveldt said:
Andrew Flintoff at Lords
Same here, as it was my first visit to Lord's and to a test match! It was also nice to Gough and Stewart playing test cricket, albeit in the twilight of their careers.

Hampshire winning promotion in the NCL was a a nice way to finish another disappointing season, and we say farewell to Robin Smith, one of the greats.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
For some reason i think its the ball that Tendulkar got out in the WC Final..yes that one..itll always be there in my memories..why a silly shot SRT, INDIA mght have had more of a chance...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
The best delivery by an Englishman in the WC was IMO James Anderson bowling to Youhana. What a yorker! It was just about perfect.:) 8D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
gibbsnsmith said:
For some reason i think its the ball that Tendulkar got out in the WC Final..yes that one..itll always be there in my memories..why a silly shot SRT, INDIA mght have had more of a chance...
Yes, I was shocked and disappointed. With Sachin at the crease, nothing's impossible.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I think this thread is about the season 2003, not they year 2003. That still has one quarter remaining, and plenty of action is promised!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Bazza said:
I think this thread is about the season 2003, not they year 2003. That still has one quarter remaining, and plenty of action is promised!
Yeah i kind of ment the English 2003 season, although not that it matters!

As people have brought up the world cup, ill have to say that my abiding memory of the bloody thing will always be Shaun Pollock sitting on the balcony at Durban with the rain lashing down..

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Mine is surprisingly of a Somerset player: Wes Durston clearing the Botham Stand at the County Ground with a massive 6 against Middlesex - hardly anyone manages to do that these days. Oh well.

Fred Flintoff's innings at Lords when Ntini split his bat will also stick with me, especially when Flintoff saluted the crowd with the bat in question. I laughed a lot :lol: Yes. Well :D

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
i am ahamed for my indian part of me if fans are as narrominded an as biased...and the same goes for the english side with chris...

nibbs

International Captain
Stephen Flemings unbeaten innings 134 against South Africa tog guide us to an amazing 9 wicket win over the Cricket Boks.

Also watching England blow chance after chance to beat Australia. The only time I go for the Aussies is when they play England and I found these particular matches incredibly enjoyable, especially the one at the World Cup.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
NatWest Series Final
I agree because Simon was umpring it...

Sorry mate I can't pick one as Simon's debut at Lord's as an Elite Panel Umpire was pretty special too!!

Last edited: