• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alphabetical Draft - Voting Thread

Who drafted the best team?

• Total voters

weeman27bob

International Regular
As it says on the thread title really.

Joao's Draft Team

Bill Ponsford
Hashim Amla
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Michael Clarke
Monty Noble
Adam Gilchrist (+)
Ray Illingworth (c)
Andy Roberts
Dale Steyn
Courtney Walsh

Kerry O'Keefe

Cevno's Team

Vijay Merchant
Javed Miandad
Denis Compton
Inzamam ul-haq
Mohammad Azharuddin
Aubrey Faulkner
Alec Stewart
Anil Kumble
Wes Hall
Joel Garner
Waqar Younis

Chris Old

Blakus' Team

Bill Lawry
Roy Fredericks
Ricky Ponting
Wally Hammond
Gundappa Viswanath
Garry Sobers
George Ulyett
Alan Knott
Wasim Akram
Bruce Yardley
Clarrie Grimmett

Bhagwath Chandrasekhar

Himanv's Team

Sunil Gavaskar
Frank Worrell(vc)
Jacques Kallis
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Warwick Armstrong
Imran Khan(c)
Keith Miller
Jack Russell+
Bobby Peel
Michael Holding
Frederick Spofforth

Grahap Yallop

Michaelf7777777's Team

WG Grace (*)
Viv Richards
George Headley
Martin Crowe
Seymour Nurse
Norman O'Neill
Les Ames (+)
Ray Lindwall
Alan Davidson
Peter Pollock
Brian Statham

Bert Ironmonger

Blaze's Team

Barry Richards
Younis Khan
Rahul Dravid
Mahela Jayawardene (captain)
Polly Umrigar
Chris Cairns
Syed Kirmani (wicketkeeper)
Muttiah Muralitharan
Shoaib Akhtar
Sydney Barnes
Frank Tyson

Daniel Vettori

Weldone's team

Arthur Morris
Jack Hobbs*
Ken Barrington
KS Ranjitsinhji
Clyde Walcott
Kapil Dev
Mike Procter
Godfrey Evans+
Iqbal Qasim
Neil Adcock
John Snow

Weeman27bob's Team

Bob Simpson
Len Hutton*
Dudley Nourse
Eddie Paynter
C.B Fry
Tony Greig
Farokh Engineer
Hedley Verity
Allan Donald
Derek Underwood
George Lohmann

Jacob Oram

Flyonthewall's Team

John Edrich
Virender Sehwag
Dilip Vengsarkar
Doug Walters
Allan Border (capt)
Alvin Kallicharan
Wilfred Rhodes
Shaun Pollock
Rod Marsh (wkt)
Richard Hadlee
Jack Iverson

Neville Quinn

King Kallis' Team

Shane Watson
Gary Kirsten
Don Bradman (c)
Kumar Sangakkara (+)
Colin Cowdrey
Kevin Pietersen
Andrew Flintoff
Malcom Marshall
Bill O'Reilly
Fred Trueman
Terry Alderman

Intikhab Alam

Howe_zat's Team

Victor Trumper
Herbert Sutcliffe
Richie Richardson
Greg Chappell
Graeme Pollock
Ian Botham
Bert Oldfield
Shane Warne
Zaheer Khan
Adul Qadir
Dennis Lillee

Makhaya Ntini

honestbharani's Team

Graeme Smith
Graham Gooch
Zaheer Abbas
Everton Weekes
Rohan Kanhai
Andy Flower
Stanley Jackson
Hugh Trumble
Curtly Ambrose
Colin Croft
Glen McGrath

Yuvraj Singh

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
Just to clarify, I didn't necessarily vote for the best side (feel free to discount my vote if you want). I voted for the two (I only voted for myself because I didn't want to end up with zero votes :ph34r:) users who I felt made the best possible use of their resources, i.e the posters who I felt were a little unlucky with the order of the drafts - Joao apparently didn't have access to internet for sometime because of floods and what not, so that makes his effort all the more credible in my eyes.

Last edited:

weeman27bob

International Regular
The Hobbs and Sutcliffe award for opening partnership - Three candidates here, as far as I believe. My opening pairing of Simpson and Hutton both average over 50 when opening the batting, Howe_zat's Sutcliffe and Trumper are also a quality pairing, but Weldone's pairing of Arthur Morris and Jack Hobbs win this one.

The "Three W's" Award for the middle order - No absoulte standout contenders here, with some top middle orders being, relatively, let down by one player. Unsurprisingly, the award goes to King Kallis and his middle order, thanks to that Australian. If there's an overall weak link, it's certainly here.

The combined Vettori and Harbhajan Singh award for lower order batting - Richard Hadlee averaged just a couple of runs under 30 in tests. He bats number 10 in Flyonthewall's team. 'Nuff Said.

The West Indies award for pace bowling - Some wonderful attacks in this draft. honestbharani's McGrath, Croft and Roberts. King Kallis' Flintoff, Trueman, Alderman and Marshall or Cevno's Hall, Garner and Younis. I think though, this award is shared between Blaze and Himanv for their wonderful pace attacks.

The subcontinent award for spin bowling - Howe_Zat's pairing of Qadir and Warne looks like an early front runner. My pairing of Verity and Underwood is also quality.Blakus also has a strong shout with all sorts of spin bowlers in his team. Ultimately though, I can't look beyond Howe_zat for this one.

The Gary Pratt award for best 12th Man -
Toss up between Bhagwath Chandrasekhar and Bert Ironmonger in my eyes, with the Australian winning it.

I don't know if that will have helped anyone, but you know, I felt it necessary.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
How many teams can we vote for? Like Himmanv's an KingKallis's teams best. Former has Imran, Miller and Kallis ffs :-O. Latter has arguably the best fast bowler and unquestionably the greatest batsman, not to mention Fred Truman.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Can't decide between Himmanv and Michaelf7777777's teams. Former the better bowling attack, the latter the better batting lineup. Voted for both.

kingkallis

International Coach
The Hobbs and Sutcliffe award for opening partnership - Three candidates here, as far as I believe. My opening pairing of Simpson and Hutton both average over 50 when opening the batting, Howe_zat's Sutcliffe and Trumper are also a quality pairing, but Weldone's pairing of Arthur Morris and Jack Hobbs win this one.

The "Three W's" Award for the middle order - No absoulte standout contenders here, with some top middle orders being, relatively, let down by one player. Unsurprisingly, the award goes to King Kallis and his middle order, thanks to that Australian. If there's an overall weak link, it's certainly here.

The combined Vettori and Harbhajan Singh award for lower order batting - Richard Hadlee averaged just a couple of runs under 30 in tests. He bats number 10 in Flyonthewall's team. 'Nuff Said.

The West Indies award for pace bowling - Some wonderful attacks in this draft. honestbharani's McGrath, Croft and Roberts. King Kallis' Flintoff, Trueman, Alderman and Marshall or Cevno's Hall, Garner and Younis. I think though, this award is shared between Blaze and Himanv for their wonderful pace attacks.

The subcontinent award for spin bowling - Howe_Zat's pairing of Qadir and Warne looks like an early front runner. My pairing of Verity and Underwood is also quality.Blakus also has a strong shout with all sorts of spin bowlers in his team. Ultimately though, I can't look beyond Howe_zat for this one.

The Gary Pratt award for best 12th Man -
Toss up between Bhagwath Chandrasekhar and Bert Ironmonger in my eyes, with the Australian winning it.

I don't know if that will have helped anyone, but you know, I felt it necessary.
Got mentioned twice. Thank you sir :)

kingkallis

International Coach
Voted for myself ( Bradman, Marshall, Trueman, O'Reilly ), Himmanv ( Kallis, Khan, Miller, Holding ) and Howe_zat ( Sutcliffe, Pollock, Botham, Warne, Lillee )

I also like the teams of Micheal777777 and Joao but didnt like the fact that they prefer to open with people who are not regular openers. ( Amla & Richards respectively )

Its a very very important job when it comes to test match cricket.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The "Cowboy Boots are back in" award for the most curiously re-occouring trend:

Goes to Joao, Cevno, Himmanv, Michaelf777777, Blaze18 and kingkallis for all contriving to pick a middle-order batsman as an opener. With the full range of openers ever to have played the game at their disposal, clearly effort was needed for them all to come to the same co-incidental cover tactic.

The "No Kill Like Overkill" Award for the most ridiculously thorough covering of one dicsipline:

Though I was also nominated for invoking the grand double-leggie theory, this award goes to Himmanv for picking no less than four seam-bowling allrounders as his competitors fought over the few that remained.

The "Elephant In The Room" Award for most hard-to-ignore feature:

No matter how hard you try and pick fairly and with the most tactical or artistic nous possible, the finest middle-order in the game goes to kingkallis for having the B-word in there. Evil.

The "Setting Fire To The Charity Auction" award for pure bastardry:

Awarded to kingkallis. See above.

The "Shoaib and Asif" award for dressing-room violence potential:

A thoroughly entertaining award to consider, kingkallis only just misses out after encouraging us to consider the row between Bradman and his nemesis O' Reilly without the ettiquette of the 1930s around them, and with the hopefully loud opinions of Shane Watson for additional ire.

However, the award of course goes to Blaze18 given that the eponymous fast bowler will inevitably fall out with, fight with and/or sleep with someone else in the team.

The "Run Over By An Ambulance" Award for most entertaining irony:

One of our number, honestbharani, has Yuvraj as his waterboy. That is joyous.

The "Greggs and Tetley's" Award for Yorkshire influence:

No team in the draft featured a great deal of Yorkshire input but for the efforts of Joao, who has done the noblest of decisions and allowed a countryman of mine to captain the side.

The "Finally getting round to it" Award for Best XI:

kingkallis, I'm afraid, who adds to an awesome middle order with an outstanding all-round bowling attack, and including some of my personal favourite cricketers of all time. And Shane Watson. Bastard.

Himannv

International Coach
Quite a few good teams here. Many teams had exceptional features to it but all had one or two flaws as well. Finally voted for honestbharani, weldone and Kingkallis. Cheers everyone, some great teams and a nice fast moving draft too.

kingkallis

International Coach
How many teams can we vote for? Like Himmanv's an KingKallis's teams best. Former has Imran, Miller and Kallis ffs :-O. Latter has arguably the best fast bowler and unquestionably the greatest batsman, not to mention Fred Truman.
Vote for both :p

Joao

U19 12th Man
A few people on four votes and then one on eight. Damn you Don!

I like Himanv and Howzat the best, but that man ruins another draft as KK surely has the best team.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't like the choice of Shane Watson opening the batting in KK's team otherwise would have voted for him - voted for Howe Zat instead.

kingkallis

International Coach
Had no any other choice and Shane has not done bad. But yeah thats a fair thing to say that Howe_zat has a good team there.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Voted for Masud's team. Hard to look past the team that has Bradman, Marshall, O'Reilly, Trueman and Sangakkara in it. KingKallis always comes with the LUCK of a 'Dhoni's-opponent-captain-in-tosses' in these draft threads.

Thanks Sam for voting for my team, though I believe that my team lacks a champion spinner (someone like Muralitharan, O'Reilly, Warne, Grimmett, Laker or Verity).

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
I think all teams probably have one or two weak points. Still, liked that pace attack of Kapil, Proctor, Adcock and Snow. Additionally its a fantastic batting lineup and has a top notch keeper as well.