• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alphabetical Draft - Voting Thread

Who drafted the best team?

• Total voters

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think all teams probably have one or two weak points. Still, liked that pace attack of Kapil, Proctor, Adcock and Snow. Additionally its a fantastic batting lineup and has a top notch keeper as well.
The opening partnership (Morris-Hobbs) is the highlight of my team, along with the pace attack. Those 2 Saffie greats (Adcock and Procter) are probably the most underrated bowlers here in CW. Add to that someone named John Snow, the mentor of Imran Khan; and Kapil Dev, India's best ever pace bowler. My keeper Evans might not be a Gilchrist with the bat, but he was a top notch keeper as you said. That middle-order of Barrington, Ranji and Walcott is solid. If I had a spinner of Murali's or O'Reilly's calibre, I would have claimed that my team is the best in this competition.

Yes, you are right. In this draft almost all teams have one or two weak links. My weak link is the spin department. And because most of the teams have a hole or two, the team with Bradman, Marshall, O'Reilly, Trueman and Sangakkara in it can be voted for without even having a look at the other 6 players. I believe 11 very good players is better than 5 great and 6 good players. But when no team has 11 very good players, why not vote for the one with 5 greats. And Bradman himself is equal to 2 greats, so that makes it 6. That was my logic. Of course, I am glad that you voted for my team (and I'm not arguing against it :p ).

By the way, I love the idea of 3 all-time great all-rounders like Miller, Imran and Kallis in the same team. Leads me to ponder how a team of 11 all-rounders will look like.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
By the way, I love the idea of 3 all-time great all-rounders like Miller, Imran and Kallis in the same team. Leads me to ponder how a team of 11 all-rounders will look like.
Me too, definately. Best I could come up with:

Wilfred Rhodes, Vinoo Mankad, Wally Hammond, Jacques Kallis, Garry Sobers, Keith Miller, Ian Botham, Imran Khan, Jim Parks+, Richie Benaud*, Richard Hadlee

Not sure what counts as a wicketkeeping allrounder. I suppose you could have Gilly or someone as the best wicket-keeper-batsman, I went for Parks as wicketkeeper-batsman-legspinner.

I tried to bat everyone in their natural position or below, though I'm not sure Hammond would be an allrounder or not at Test level. If not, near misses were Kapil, Wooley, and Wasim Akram.

Himannv

International Coach
That is because I saw others vote for 3 teams :laugh:
Yeah, nothing wrong with that. Many good teams around here.

Cevno's team has loads of good players and a pretty good bowling attack. Not really lacking much except maybe a second opener.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Probably got my Marketing and publicity wrong and small, tbh:ph34r:

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Did that team lineup in a hurry ,tbh.
Just out of hand thought Miandad would have done a good job there.

Thinking about it again i would probably have Alec Stewart opening who did a very decent job opening in his career.

kingkallis

International Coach
Did that team lineup in a hurry ,tbh.
Just out of hand thought Miandad would have done a good job there.

Thinking about it again i would probably have Alec Stewart opening who did a very decent job opening in his career.
Even now you can modify the team.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Me too, definately. Best I could come up with:

Wilfred Rhodes, Vinoo Mankad, Wally Hammond, Jacques Kallis, Garry Sobers, Keith Miller, Ian Botham, Imran Khan, Jim Parks+, Richie Benaud*, Richard Hadlee

Not sure what counts as a wicketkeeping allrounder. I suppose you could have Gilly or someone as the best wicket-keeper-batsman, I went for Parks as wicketkeeper-batsman-legspinner.

I tried to bat everyone in their natural position or below, though I'm not sure Hammond would be an allrounder or not at Test level. If not, near misses were Kapil, Wooley, and Wasim Akram.
That's a great team. But what if you are told to choose 11 best all-rounders ever, and make a XI out of them only (without thinking about team composition, etc.). I shall go with:

Wilfred Rhodes
WG Grace
Jacques Kallis
Garry Sobers
Aubrey Faulkner
Adam Gilchrist+
Keith Miller
Imran Khan*
Ian Botham
Kapil Dev
Richie Benaud

I won't choose the likes of Hammond and Hadlee, who were absolute all-time greats in one discipline but probably not strong enough in the other to be placed among the 11 greatest all-rounders ever. Mankad was an excellent all-rounder (and he was equally good in both disciplines), but probably will be just out of my top 11 all-rounders. Procter could be included, but his batting wasn't much better than Hadlee's, if at all. Clive Rice would have been a serious consideration, but alas! he didn't play a test match!

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
That's a great team. But what if you are told to choose 11 best all-rounders ever, and make a XI out of them only (without thinking about team composition, etc.). I shall go with:

Wilfred Rhodes
WG Grace
Jacques Kallis
Garry Sobers
Aubrey Faulkner
Adam Gilchrist+
Keith Miller
Imran Khan*
Ian Botham
Kapil Dev
Richie Benaud
Shaun Pollock in place of Benaud?