• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PALMO: The official rules

Kimbo

International Debutant
We must sort out the official rules, we made a lot up as we went along but by the time I get back in England they need to be properly sorted. I'll be well practiced by then of course- I'm going to use the crazy catch as a trainer.

danno

Cricket Spectator
so then.......................

equipment needed - 1xtennis ball and min. of 2 players complete with palms!!

aim of game - to keep the ball off the ground by only using your palm (or in extreme circumstances a nice backhand move!!)

palmo can be played with as many people as you like, if only 2 it is recommeded to stand opposite eachother when more players a circle is the usual choice of formation!

(check me out after a few more drinks......................minging!)

Attachments

Kimbo

International Debutant
the sunglasses much improve your drunken look- nice touch.

playing palmo in a line can be good too. (with the official drink: sunny d and red square...)

also- headers are allowed.
we must sort out a held ball rule... sometimes people seem to have contact with the ball for a while.. it needs to be a firm and simple palm off.

danno

Cricket Spectator
told you sunglasses are the way forward.................no more scary-eyed danno!!

too right about the holding rule...some people seem to take advantage of this a bit too much! maybe there should be a second rule? over that and it is deemed as held?

we also need to work out how you score points......no point in playing if i can't win!

Kimbo

International Debutant
Ok well it's gotta be one touch, and say, you cant be in contact with the ball for more than a second.
hmmm... points.... here we have to decide on the way forward for palmo- is it a simple keepy uppy game or do we get violent. I reckon to score you have to achieve a blow to the body(between knees and head) of the opponent, and you give away a point for an out hit, a wayward shot.

danno

Cricket Spectator
violent?!? well i wasn't quite thinking along the lines of trying to kill your opponant really.....suppose it depends on who you are playing against!! wot about the original idea of having a court and trying to land the ball in the other persons half?!?

or totally diff we could make it so that you get a certain no of points for the level of difficulty of the move (ie palm=1, backhand=2, header=3 and so on..............) and that you lose a point if it is you that let the ball hit the ground?!?!?

or..............could be a team game?!?! so many possibilities!!!

Kimbo

International Debutant
its certainly a game with a lot of potential.
if we made a court though... you wouldnt be able to play group palmo really. and you couldnt just play spur of the moment, and you would need a net i reckon or it would just get silly, and then its just like tennis or volleyball.. a bit unoriginal.
as for the points idea, it sounds good but you would need an attentive scorer there. how bout a cross between my violent game and the technical difficulty game- if you win with a palm off, thats 1 point, with a backhand its two, and with a header its three.

danno

Cricket Spectator
it could work......we need ot be careful that all these rules don't take us away from the roots of Palmo! It still needs to remain a simple fun game that can be played on the spur of the moment in a variety of ways really......................

maybe points are the only way this can be done?!? or we could have a proper version as well as the simplified original?!?

it could be done that when you are in a circle of line playing the person who causes the ball to touch the ground gets a point or letter and the first person to 5 points or to complete a word is out and so on umtil teh last person remaining wins?!?! bit like PIG.....................

Kimbo

International Debutant
another thing to consider is that PALMO may just have been fun because there was no point.

danno

Cricket Spectator
now you're getting way too deep............................this whole thinking thing is taking its toll on you isn't it!!

LONG LIVE PALMO!!!

betho

Cricket Spectator
Hello there people, tis me, Betho, back from my 7-day absence in oblivion with non-cricketing folk.

I am a little concerned by Kimbo's new-found opinion that Palmo has (and I quote) 'no point'!

I do however agree with Danno that the rules seem to be getting a little complicated and may be taking the game away from the original fun simple game that was first played in order to escape severe boredom whilst watching thrilling, and not to mention, high quality cricket matches in Cambridge! Having said that, points and umpires and courts and nets and walls and multiple players and backhands and headers all do sound very exciting!

Perhaps as Danno suggested there could be the original simple palmo (fun for all the family) and a more complicated olympic standard alternative 'palmosa' perhaps..........!

Just another thought....... an episode where Kath and Kim are being taught the rules of palmo by Sharon - how funny?????????............................

Anyways, I may not be able to contribute again for a while as may not have access to a comp until Mon but will do my best.

In the meantime, keep up the enthusiasm for palmo.... Kimbo remember how it kept us entertained all those cold summer afternoons!!!!!

Seeyaaaa!!

danno

Cricket Spectator
yo yo betho! what a class idea....kath and kim and PALMO all in one program! it would be like we'd died and gone to heaven! all i'd need to make it perfect would be david beckham naked watching it with me.................................!

maybe there should be various different forms of PALMO dependent on the situation? and maybe an extra hard version played with a ping-pong ball.....................requires more skill! or even 2 balls at the same time?!?

oh the possibilities are endless..........................................

Kimbo

International Debutant
BETHO!!!!
now the discussions really can get serious. I found a great ball for it. a smiley faced stress ball. its soft and foamy, yet really bouces off the hand. could make for some fast paced action, wont hurt a bit, and will enhance how showy we can look. really makes it easier to save the situation.

how fun would it be to play on a large matted surface where you could dive about... you know how i am... always on the floor!

danno

Cricket Spectator
same place i seem to spend most of my life...............but thats normally after a couple of drinks!

i like the foam ball idea...thinking from outside the box!

danno

Cricket Spectator
we are taking PALMO to totally new levels now......once a game gets its very own ball it is def going places!

today middlesex......tomorrow the world!

Kimbo

International Debutant
Yup, this game will surely be an olympic sport.

ah middlesex... i'm homesick again, or awaysick maybe... i found a 271 bus ticket in my suitcase... the bus that took me to highgate village. :(

Kimbo

International Debutant
aren't crickets insects?

thats what gunnersbury women's cricket club is about. we have a garden in ealing, next to the allotments which is handy and we try to find crickets and then we look after them and study them, and have pots of tea.

Kimbo

International Debutant
by the way, thats an amazing photo. but then again, i would have the lens on jonty for a whole game if i was taking photos. thats so much harder than taking batting and bowling pics.

ps... what is that game he is playing? ís he pretending to be a cricket?