• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI spinner::: Murli vs. Warne vs. Saqlain

Who is the best ODI spinner?

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
I think it is very close for mine. I just loved Saqlain's bowling in ODIs. The fastest to 100, 200, and had he played a bit more maybe even 300 wickets in ODIs. Murali of course had a phenomenal ER playing in a batsman dominated era and he had a long career too. Saqlain towards the end of his career was being found out quite easily.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Saqlain was of a slightly higher quality than either but not by enough to justify rating him ahead of Murali who has tremendous longevity in his side.

However, I'd pick Saqi ahead of Murali in an AT XI as longevity is not something which comes in often while picking one for an AT XI.(Except in freak cases such as Bond or Asif)

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Saqlain was awesome in ODI's but he had a short career.

Murali was very good too ,but had a much much longer career.

It is clear cut between these two for me ,and very very close ,but will go for Murali as he did it longer and in more varied conditions.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Saqlain was awesome in ODI's but he had a short career.

Murali was very good too ,but had a much much longer career.

It is clear cut between these two for me ,and very very close ,but will go for Murali as he did it longer and in more varied conditions.
Yup, longevity counts (especially when it’s sustained excellence that goes along with that longevity). Murali for me, just ahead of Saqi.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Each has their strengths and weaknesses.

I'd want Warne for big games - reckon he's far more likely to get you big hauls against the best teams on the biggest stages.

Saqlain's got better stats but was also more prone to going missing when it mattered most.

Murali's in the middle - has a more consistent, complete record than Saqlain and Warne, but doesn't quite have Warne's big game prowess.

Saqlain's the best statistically, and is probably the one I'd pick in my all time XI - but he's the one I'd least want for a World Cup final.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Tough selection with no clear winner.

Do you select the spinner who will give you 18 years of the highest quality limited overs bowling? Then Murali.

If selecting a spinner for an all-time XI and each spinner can only be selected based on who had the highest peak? Saqlain.

Do you rate the spinner who will step up at the critical moment in the biggest ODI tournaments? Warne without doubt.

smash84

The Tiger King
Tough selection with no clear winner.

Do you select the spinner who will give you 18 years of the highest quality limited overs bowling? Then Murali.

If selecting a spinner for an all-time XI and each spinner can only be selected based on who had the highest peak? Saqlain.

Do you rate the spinner who will step up at the critical moment in the biggest ODI tournaments? Warne without doubt.
nice description for each of them.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Longevity is such a key factor when comparing great cricketers. The difference between the peaks of Murali and Saqlain as limited overs bowlers is very small. I doubt any Pakistan fan would disagree they would rather have had a high class spinner last 18 years rather than Saqlain who was brilliant for five or six years.

Longevity only means little when the cricketer you are analysing is a **** cricketer anyway.

chicane

State Captain
Murali had the better career obviously owing to his longevity, but Saqlain was brilliant, definitely the better bowler, was awesome through the late nineties.

Bagged close to 300 wickets in no time, he was deadly with accuracy, intelligence and a small bag of tricks (including of course, mastering the doosra, alone among other spinners around. It was so lethal then).

smash84

The Tiger King
Then I am guessing you rate Mendis higher than any of these 3, and Agarkar as better ODI bowler than McGrath?
Even Mendis does not have a better record than Saqlain. He still hasn't reached 100 wickets in ODIs and will have to put in some stellar ODI performances to beat Saqlain's fastest to 100 and 200 wickets. But yeah longevity is very important.

Murali had the better career obviously owing to his longevity, but Saqlain was brilliant, definitely the better bowler, was awesome through the late nineties.

Bagged close to 300 wickets in no time, he was deadly with accuracy, intelligence and a small bag of tricks (including of course, mastering the doosra, alone among other spinners around. It was so lethal then).
Saqalin was the better bowler before he started using his small bag of tricks a little too often. Lost his ability to flight the ball well towards the end of his career. His doosra became very predictable. Murali and Saqlain debuted around the same time and Saqlain for a good 4-5 years was rated ahead or at least alongside Murali. THEN came the slide and Saqlain just withered away.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I'll go for Murali if we're talking about ODI's.

But the contest between the three is actually pretty close.

I'd want Warne for big games - reckon he's far more likely to get you big hauls against the best teams on the biggest stages.
And that's the thing about Warne in ODI's.

People forget his ODI heroics. They forget his performance against the West Indies in the 1996 World Cup semi final, when the West Indies had that game won. And then there were his two performances in the semi-final and final of the 1999 World Cup. There are others I could mention too.

On the big stage Warne wins this. Without wanting to start a Warne v Murali debate, I always watched Murali closely on the big stage, such as the last World Cup, and I don't think he was as good as Warne on the big stage. Of course I do remember Murali tearing through New Zealand in the last World Cup semi final, which was a joy to watch for so many personal reasons.

Warne was so competitive when he bowled, and he just wanted to be in the spotlight and perform. Lara talked about this on youtube when comparing Warne and Murali. Warne just kept coming at you, and loved to compete as much as anyone. That's what I think made him great on the big stage.

This isn't forgetting Warne's success in ODI's against guys like Cullinan (who was a very good ODI player before Warne ruined his reputation) and Inzamam. Warne had the number of some pretty big names.

You just can't rely on stats when it comes to judging players, you have to go by experience. I remember in the mid 90s Warne had a good number of MOTM awards for ODI's, although his stats never reached the level of say Murali. While I've seen plenty of ODI's where teams seem content not scoring too fast off Murali, knowing they're not chasing a big score, and they don't have to risk their wicket.

This doesn't change my choice though. It's Murali for me in ODI's. I'm just making the point it's closer than people are willing to admit between the three. I'd go for Murali based on his longevity. He was also curiously a great death bowler, which is rare for ODI's. Saqlain would be my number three just because he didn't go for long enough. If he played for longer then maybe he would have been the greatest ODI bowler ever.

Last edited: