• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Evolved

salman85

International Debutant
Since the ODI format is slowly being taken over my the T20 format,i think it won't be ridiculoud to say that the format might be discarded at some point in the future.If not the near future,then definitley at some point in future,because Cricket is growing globally,and it has the T20 format to thank.

So,how about adding a football touch to Cricket?

We all know that the IPL has been a roaring financial success,and now all countries have their own domestic T20 formats,so how about having a registered T20 league in every country?Allow the trade of players across countries,like it happens in football.Have a continential T20 club competition like the UEFA champions league for example,players getting selected for their national teams on the basis of their club performances etc.I'm not taking about a 5-6 team like league like the IPL, but a proper 20 team league,with relegation,promotion,continental qualification etc..everything.

Operate everything the way it is done in football.The league operates all year long.Also,make the national teams qualify for International tournaments.

In short,follow the entire format of football,with the differnece being in the sport itself.

I know i'll get a lot of slack for this,but this could be very possible in the future.Test Cricket could become a thing of the past too,who knows?

Just a thought.Personally,i would love this. I know this is moving away from 'REAL' cricket,but the sport has to evolve and i would love for it to evolve this way in the future.

smash84

The Tiger King
Since the ODI format is slowly being taken over my the T20 format,i think it won't be ridiculoud to say that the format might be discarded at some point in the future.If not the near future,then definitley at some point in future,because Cricket is growing globally,and it has the T20 format to thank.

We all know that the IPL has been a roaring financial success,and now all countries have their own domestic T20 formats,so how about having a registered T20 league in every country?Allow the trade of players across countries,like it happens in football.Have a continential T20 club competition like the UEFA champions league for example,players getting selected for their national teams on the basis of their club performances etc.I'm not taking about a 5-6 team like league like the IPL, but a proper 20 team league,with relegation,promotion,continental qualification etc..everything.

Operate everything the way it is done in football.The league operates all year long.Also,make the national teams qualify for International tournaments.

In short,follow the entire format of football,with the differnece being in the sport itself.

I know i'll get a lot of slack for this,but this could be very possible in the future.Test Cricket could become a thing of the past too,who knows?

Just a thought.Personally,i would love this. I know this is moving away from 'REAL' cricket,but the sport has to evolve and i would love for it to evolve this way in the future.
you mean flak????

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Its got some merit, i dont really see it possible until USA takes cricket seriously.. they love the franchise concept.

smash84

The Tiger King

Actually what you say has been proposed by some others as well. I remember Geoffrey Boycott talking about the same thing a few months back as to how FIFA has been able to keep interest in the sport and how something similar would be a good idea in cricket. It has to be borne in mind though that cricket has never been as universally popular as football and while t20 has drastically reduced the time span of one game it is still at least twice that of football.

leepayne

School Boy/Girl Captain

You're right to say ODIs are being overshadowed by Twenty20s, I get the feeling the authorities almost want this to happen with the way they marginalise the format with overlong World Cups and seven match series. The ODI format has its merits- it is better if the spectator wants a day out, and allows for the building of innings. Talk of its death might be premature.

Football's structure works because the game is fiercely popular and played to a high level in many countries. The same isn't true for cricket. We currently have 9 Test nations, including West Indies and Bangladesh who are poor. The idea of a league being played in the 9 countries at the same time wouldn't be possible. England's season is April-September, and that's obviously winter in Australia. The way it works out is players can play in the domestic season in one country and then move on to another because they don't overlap. And a minor point, but unlike football in cricket it is very much internationals over domestic.

I think the IPL will carry on, and I can see a big T20 league starting up in the USA over the next five years or so.

archie mac

International Coach

You prefer 20-20 over Test cricket:-O These sort of statements are the reason people should be banned on CW, come on mods :ph34r:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
he didnt really say he disliked test cricket. He said it might become a thing of the past.

I pesonnally believe test cricket may struggle in the future to gain futher appreal beyond the 8 test nations and maybe thats acceptable (the way the ICC operates it seems to be). The progess of 20/20 beyond those "cricket nations" is already taking hold.. if the upsets continue in the 20/20 WC then the flood gates will truely open for cricket. what will be interesting is how long the ICC keeps plugging up the holes.

archie mac

International Coach
he didnt really say he disliked test cricket. He said it might become a thing of the past.

I pesonnally believe test cricket may struggle in the future to gain futher appreal beyond the 8 test nations and maybe thats acceptable (the way the ICC operates it seems to be). The progess of 20/20 beyond those "cricket nations" is already taking hold.. if the upsets continue in the 20/20 WC then the flood gates will truely open for cricket. what will be interesting is how long the ICC keeps plugging up the holes.
He didn't say anything he wrote:ph34r:

Spark

Global Moderator
The reason cricket is such a great and unique is more or less test cricket IMO. All the great positives of cricket - unpredictability, skill, courage etc. are to be found at their most concentrated in a good, hard Test match.

I for one will no longer follow cricket if Tests are consigned to the history books.