• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vettori steps down from captaincy

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of course it has. Last season, our two fastest and best bowlers retired at the exact same time, and there we no one available who could come even close to replacing them.
Kind of a mute point. Bond hardly ever played tests & O'Brien was only any good in his last two years (particularly his last series), so it's not like either were institutions in the test side.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah I was trying to work out who the 2nd best bowler Bahnz was - thought OB was the one who retired, but wasn't sure he was necessarily a better bowler than Martin?

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah I was trying to work out who the 2nd best bowler Bahnz was - thought OB was the one who retired, but wasn't sure he was necessarily a better bowler than Martin?
During O'Brien's resurgence (2008-2010) O'Brien was easily the better bowler imo. Always felt he was the dangerman who flew under the radar.

Wonder if the statz back it up...

Chris Martin: 18 tests, 64 wickets at 32.46. Strike rate 61

Iain O'Brien: 18 tests, 68 wickets at 30.00. Strike rate 56

Hmm, closer than I thought, but given a choice between the two it would always be O'Brien for me.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Kind of a mute point. Bond hardly ever played tests & O'Brien was only any good in his last two years (particularly his last series), so it's not like either were institutions in the test side.
O'Brien was a fixture in the side for the considerable majority of Vettori's captaincy, up until retirement, and was his go-to bowler when he really needed a wicket. Bond's absence may not have been unusual, but he played the pivotal role in one of only two successes in Vettori's career, something that was always going to be used as a benchmark for New Zealand's future performances.

Needless to say, repeat performances without either one of them was always unlikely in the extreme. It was unfortunate that the only time it looked possible (Ahmedabad), bad luck deprived New Zealand of a critical second front line bowler and a useful part timer. I will say, however, that Vettori's failure to have a leg gulley in place when Martin caught Harbhajan's gloves late on the 4th afternoon still really cheeses me off. Too defensive, which possibly cost him a couple of results.

As for Martin and O'Brien, they were two very different bowlers who gave the New Zealand bowling attack a very nice balance. Martin swings the ball much more (O'Brien didn't really swing it at all unless he was marching into a strong wind), and can get the best batsmen out with the new cherry. O'Brien is more aggressive, aiming at the stumps and the Batsman more, and has greater stamina, making him the ideal 1st change bowler. Together with Bond or a circa 2007 Franklin, they would've made an excellent attack. Oh well...

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Wonder if Vettori did better as a bowler before he became captain and if that's the reason for him to leave.

Taylor seems like the next one...

ff_vii_ac

Cricket Spectator
ross taylor will be captain, mccullum as vice. pretty straight foward really.

*will eat my words if im wrong* heh =P

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Undecided on who I prefer to replace Vettori as captain. I don't know enough about McCullum and Taylor's individual strengths and weaknesses to form an opinion - hopefully NZ Cricket have the nous to make the right call. Either way....

What does it do for team morale when the captain, batting at 4, leaves his team in the **** by going for a massive heave and being caught at deep mid wicket?

What does it do for team morale when the captain, opening the batting, leaves his team in the **** by going for a massive heave and being caught at deep point?

We could probably do with a captain who is more aggressive than Vettori. I assume McCullum would be that, however he's become quite a polarising figure in the media and that would make the job harder for him. Whoever is chosen, I really hope Vettori plays tests until he's at least 35.